ADVERTISEMENT

President's role in midterms

thewop

HR Legend
Jun 27, 2002
Maybe this has always been the case, but over the past 10-15 years the role of the president in mid-term elections seems to have become more, and it impacts time spent on real presidential duties. My question is this:

What should the role of the president be?

IMO

It should be:
  • Endorsements of candidates
  • A mention of why voting for X will help get certain agenda items accomplished
  • Maybe an occasional rally appearance (1-2 total)

It should not be:
  • executive orders to create temporary economic conditions in hopes of persuading voters
  • Spending lots of time traveling to campaign with candidates
  • Anything else that takes significant time investment away from presidential duties
  • Persuading other countries to act a certain way until after elections (I believe there are examples of our last 3 presidents doing this).

The president has a job to do and should do it. If they want to take their vacation time to campaign, fine, but do any of us actually believe they'd take less vacation?

I realize there are some extenuating considerations with Biden in particular, but this isn't really about Biden, it's about the role of the office.

Reactions: hexumhawk
b72d33d2bbbabecc57822f7d1c200f69a6a4c63f529fe954cb07ee0c04e8224b-1.png

:rolleyes:Maybe this has always been the case, but over the past 10-15 years the role of the president in mid-term elections seems to have become more, and it impacts time spent on real presidential duties. My question is this:

What should the role of the president be?

IMO

It should be:
  • Endorsements of candidates
  • A mention of why voting for X will help get certain agenda items accomplished
  • Maybe an occasional rally appearance (1-2 total)

It should not be:
  • executive orders to create temporary economic conditions in hopes of persuading voters
  • Spending lots of time traveling to campaign with candidates
  • Anything else that takes significant time investment away from presidential duties
  • Persuading other countries to act a certain way until after elections (I believe there are examples of our last 3 presidents doing this).

The president has a job to do and should do it. If they want to take their vacation time to campaign, fine, but do any of us actually believe they'd take less vacation?

I realize there are some extenuating considerations with Biden in particular, but this isn't really about Biden, it's about the role of the office.
:rolleyes:

I don’t have a huge problem with it as long as it doesn’t start taking up a ridiculous amount of his time. The President is usually working anyway even when he’s traveling. He’s in constant contact with his aides and he can get real-time updates on any situation urgent enough to require his immediate attention.

Reactions: thewop
I don’t have a huge problem with it as long as it doesn’t start taking up a ridiculous amount of his time. The President is usually working anyway even when he’s traveling. He’s in constant contact with his aides and he can get real-time updates on any situation urgent enough to require his immediate attention.
Can he start getting some real time updates on how to read a teleprompter?

I'm not sure which is dumber ... the fact you think the election was stolen or you think who is currently in office has anything to do with the fact that gas prices are higher now than they were when OPEC was trying to hurt the Russian oil industry.

Reactions: funksouljon
I'm not sure which is dumber ... the fact you think the election was stolen or you think who is currently in office has anything to do with the fact that gas prices are higher now than they were when OPEC was trying to hurt the Russian oil industry.
Aww, come on. It was a funny. Back off.

Reactions: Peak_Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT