ADVERTISEMENT

Press Conference

Well this is extremely disappointing. Yet I am not surprised.
When the season first ended, I thought there was no way they couldn't make a change.
Then nothing, then we win the bowl game, then nothing, and I just knew BF was staying.
Really frustrating. IDC what Kirk says, it is unfathomable that anyone not his son is still the OC after last season. Nepotism is the best explanation.
What Kirk is doing aint right.
This is just as much on Brian as it is KF and GB. What a prideless, entitled little wannabe he is by continuing to have daddy clear the way for a position he never earned and is obviously incapable of doing very well.

I find it funny that for a little while he was bringing up that they scored a decent amount of points. Half of that was done by the defense!!
Exactly -beat me to it. Very misleading. At one point KF said they were 55-3 (under BF) when Iowa scored at least 24 points. What is the record when you discount the defensive scores? 24 points is really nothing to brag about and only serves to validate the fact that Iowa won an incredible number of games in spite of the offense, thanks to fantastic defenses.

Last edited:
Alright guys. There are those of us on here who seem overly optimistic and pro-Ferentz. I will tell you even I believe that if it doesn't work this coming season that is it for me with the existing structure. This is it for Brian as OC. It's the make or break season. No more excuses now.
LOL, this is really it this time!

To me this is Kirk confirming that he is confident in the coaching and philosophy, and last year was a product of talent (meaning lack thereof). He will never single out an individual, but collectively signaling the OL issues, WR attrition, and highly prioritizing the QB transfer need speaks as loudly to that point as Kirk will ever get. They’ve worked to address all offensive units through the portal and gain another year of experience and strength.

For those that are upset about the no coaching changes, look on the bright side - that means Phil plans on running it back!!

To me this is Kirk confirming that he is confident in the coaching and philosophy, and last year was a product of talent (meaning lack thereof). He will never single out an individual, but collectively signaling the OL issues, WR attrition, and highly prioritizing the QB transfer need speaks as loudly to that point as Kirk will ever get. They’ve worked to address all offensive units through the portal and gain another year of experience and strength.

For those that are upset about the no coaching changes, look on the bright side - that means Phil plans on running it back!!
We’ve got one more year of being able to hide in the Big Ten West at least too.

It was not the coaches, it was the players. Brian stated that he did a great job last year, it was the players fault. Now Kirk basically said the same thing. He did say they own the poor offense though.

This is the same staff that decided to go with Petras this past season.

The same staff that did nothing to improve the offense during the past season, there was no improvement from the horrific first game to the last game.

Phil Parker walks into a defensive meeting tomorrow and addresses his defense, “Guys. I know I’ve told you for a long time that defense is about doing your job, carrying out your assignment and playing fundamental football….Well you can throw all that out the window. Our goal in 2023 is to score points. If we score more points on defense than the other teams offense we will definitely wi…. Scratch that… most likely win!”

• Haha
Reactions: FireBrianFerentz
Fact that barta goes up to takes questions after defending Brian afterwards speaks volumes. To most schools it should be a huge red flag both the head coach and AD are getting grilled from a usually pretty friendly media about the OC. But not Iowa with Kirk and Gary who will defend boy wonder to no end.
I hope you’re right, and then media is really giving them the fifth degree.

I guess I didn’t think he would make changes. I still think it’s possible BF finds a job elsewhere to take heat off dad. I find it funny people are freaking out because KF didn’t fire his son, like it was something they expected.

• Haha
Reactions: Ignored
I guess I didn’t think he would make changes. I still think it’s possible BF finds a job elsewhere to take heat off dad. I find it funny people are freaking out because KF didn’t fire his son, like it was something they expected.
I think it was reasonable to expect at least a “Co” offensive coordinator type of change. I don’t think Budmayr will stick around as analyst, although I don’t think he’s a hot commodity either. Should speak volumes about what everyone else thinks about our coaches on that side of the ball.

Fact that barta goes up to takes questions after defending Brian afterwards speaks volumes. To most schools it should be a huge red flag both the head coach and AD are getting grilled from a usually pretty friendly media about the OC. But not Iowa with Kirk and Gary who will defend boy wonder to no end.
It was funny to hear how he had "conversations" with Kirk and Brian. Yeah.....conversations where they told Barta no changes were going to be made, and that's final.

We'll obviously win the cupcakiest of our OOC games next year but beyond that I'm rooting for a 2-10 season.

I’d love to do a FOIA (freedom of information act) request for Barta’s email after today. Sure that’d make for some interesting reading.

• Love
Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Exactly -beat me to it. Very misleading. At one point KF said they were 55-3 (under BF) when Iowa scored at least 24 points. What is the record when you discount the defensive scores? 24 points is really nothing to brag about and only serves to validate the fact that Iowa won an incredible number of games in spite of the offense, thanks to fantastic defenses.
The problem is the number of games where we didn't score 24 points.

I think it's actually worse! I think he thinks he's right because we squeak out games against bad teams.
Kirk flat out admitted that once they score what he thinks is enough points, he goes conservative. Said that specifically about the Purdue game.

So I think we can all conclude the people who claim to have inside knowledge actually have no clue. @hawkisoaker @Frosty7130

Feel free to add to the list
A) I have never claimed to be an insider, but anyone who is was saying since Friday don't expect any news from this.

B) KF said damn near the exact thing prior to Greg Davis, Tim Polasek, and others leaving in mid-February, which is almost always when Iowa makes staff changes.

C) You really think they were gonna announce his firing on National Signing Day, thus taking the spotlight off of their recruiting class? Use your head.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT