ADVERTISEMENT

presser notes 9/20

squeezebox

HR Heisman
Mar 6, 2018
Not great news for Keagan, the nagging injury has kept him out of practice, not overly likely for game time.

Open competition for Elsbury at center and guard. Sounds like Richman is cemented in.
Way I read it, he was saying Richman stays at LT when healthy. Other OL have rotated Ana’s tried different positions
Clearly Richman best LT Iowa has at this time

What I wouldn't give to be back to full strength at WR come Michigan. At least Nico is back, and I guess Brecht looks promising with limited practice.
With limited plays, I'd be hard pressed to say Brecht looked promising. They made a concerted effort to use his size to get him several plays for him to go up and get the ball. Didn't appear that he made much effort to catch or high point any of the passes down the sideline. He made one catch on a short slant, but thats it. Hopefully as he becomes more involved both in practice and in the games he'll make more of an impact. We could really use him to step up....

Reactions: BBHawk
With limited plays, I'd be hard pressed to say Brecht looked promising. They made a concerted effort to use his size to get him several plays for him to go up and get the ball. Didn't appear that he made much effort to catch or high point any of the passes down the sideline. He made one catch on a short slant, but thats it. Hopefully as he becomes more involved both in practice and in the games he'll make more of an impact. We could really use him to step up....
For someone who has only been practicing for 7-8 weeks, even getting open on those deep shots is something. He did get open on a deep ball or two from what I could see. I haven't seen Wick hardly open this season, and that's not to rag on the kid.

Reactions: cmhawks99
EVERY time Spencer tossed to him in the game was a shit pass. Just terrible. When Will people learn? Our QB sucks. Our O line is in shables. We need a QB taht doesn't run a 4.99 40 yard dash. Spence likely runs a 5.6

For someone who has only been practicing for 7-8 weeks, even getting open on those deep shots is something. He did get open on a deep ball or two from what I could see. I haven't seen Wick hardly open this season, and that's not to rag on the kid.
I don't think he's been practicing even that long, he was hampered until about three weeks ago. Honestly he wasn't all that open either. The one the DB actually held his left arm, so he just waived his right arm at the ball. The thing with BB though is a good athlete and 6'4" they should be able to throw some stuff up for him to just go get, whether he's all that open or not, and I think thats what they were trying to do. Basically jump balls, or back shoulder stuff. We'll see how much he grows in the next couple of games.

EVERY time Spencer tossed to him in the game was a shit pass. Just terrible. When Will people learn? Our QB sucks. Our O line is in shables. We need a QB taht doesn't run a 4.99 40 yard dash. Spence likely runs a 5.6
A quality receiver pulls in those catches. He wasn't able to track/ adjust to the ball. He's just not a quality receiver today.

Sorry, but you need to go back and look again. Every pass he threw to BB was most certainly catchable and both on the sideline were good throws to the shoulder closest to the sideline where only he could make a play on the ball. Both hit his hand. Unfortunately he didn't react well to the ball or get both hands up and use his size to his advantage. They were not, "shit passes".

Last edited:
He was the 1st string C after spring practice. I'm totally good with it, I was hoping to see Myslinski last week to see if the timing was any better than it has been with Jones.
Elsbury was starting C all thru spring practice Elsbury was listed as starting LG. Not sure what happened to change that this Fall

Because the coaches are in love with Logan Jones because he's "first class" and obviously works his butt off. I believe that they thought he would be much further along than he's shown to be.
I think there's hope for him to end up being a very good center or guard, but it appears he's having to think to much right now. and thats led to the snaps, line calls, and the OL not being in sync.....

The way things have gone with him I wouldn't be shocked to see them just shut him down for the year.
yeesh, with the current depth I would be very surprised if they did that. Heck two weeks ago, many were sure he'd never play a down with Iowa again.

Reactions: owenhawk
yeesh, with the current depth I would be very surprised if they did that. Heck two weeks ago, many were sure he'd never play a down with Iowa again.
I'm not hoping or betting on it. I just want to see him out there healthy and he didn’t look healthy on Saturday. He's not going to be effective hobbling around and this has been going on for months now.

I'm not hoping or betting on it. I just want to see him out there healthy and he didn’t look healthy on Saturday. He's not going to be effective hobbling around and this has been going on for months now.
Really a brilliant move by dumb and dumber to play him against the powerhouse Nevada. Johnson is a good athlete, but clearly has issues dropping balls, granted it’s very rare that Petras hits anyone in stride, but Johnson had a lot of drops last year and one Saturday.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
I think everyone ragging on Brecht is not being realistic. Didn't he miss almost all of last year? And only practiced 3 weeks this year. So he is essentially a true freshman with 5-6 weeks of practice total.

I think everyone ragging on Brecht is not being realistic. Didn't he miss almost all of last year? And only practiced 3 weeks this year. So he is essentially a true freshman with 5-6 weeks of practice total.
I don't think we're ragging on BB. Clearly most have pointed out his potential. Most have simply been pointing out to those trying "beat the dead SP horse" that he several nice balls Saturday that should have been caught, and several those were to BB. Certainly completions there and the long post to Jack Johnson that he misplayed in the air would have changed SP's numbers and the score significantly.

Nope. Every pass to him was right where it should have been - on the shoulder opposite his defender. Some posters just.don't.get.that.

Elsbury was starting C all thru spring practice Elsbury was listed as starting LG. Not sure what happened to change that this Fall

I believe he’s another guy that has been battling minor injuries. All other issues aside, Hawks came out of fall camp very beat up.

Actually Spencer threw 3 or 4 good passes to Brody, which he will catch in the future as he gets rid of the rust.

Agreed.

I don't think we're ragging on BB. Clearly most have pointed out his potential. Most have simply been pointing out to those trying "beat the dead SP horse" that he several nice balls Saturday that should have been caught, and several those were to BB. Certainly completions there and the long post to Jack Johnson that he misplayed in the air would have changed SP's numbers and the score significantly.

Finished rewatching the game, the one to Jack Johnson looked like he was stumbling on his way downfield. Most of the deep passes were pretty good imo, honestly maybe the worst one was the 3rd quarter one to Nico after the last restart.

The short to midrange passes need to be more accurate, but was still somehow better than first two weeks. At the very least receivers had chances to catch most of them, even if they were in stride like we’d all prefer.

ADVERTISEMENT