ADVERTISEMENT

Pretend that you're P Parker: Do you consider using a 5 2 defense in the bowl game?

The chances of this actually happening are about 0.1%, but for the sake of discussion do you trust the safeties/CBs enough to only have 2 linebackers on the field?

I hope that Amani Jones gets some major minutes in this game....
Amani Jones was the center of conversation on the BTN pre season visit. If Nick Fitgerald is as tough a runner as the SEC network says, Amani Jones will be needed.

The only significant changes to the base defense in the Kirk Ferentz era that come to mind was when Norm tweaked the scheme against Georgia Tech in the Orange Bowl.
It was probably a bigger change in the 2001 Alamo Bowl against Texas Tech. The Hawks went with 3 DL the entire game - if memory serves, it was a 3-3-5 look. In both cases, though, they changed for a bowl game against an opponent running a unique offense. No regular season changes to base, but as another poster noted, more situational changes under Phil (especially recently) than we had under Norm.

Razor bearclaw stinger.
FluidUnlinedBantamrooster-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: FlickShagwell
hope that Amani Jones gets some major minutes in this game....

What have you seen from him to want this? Not being a dick, but I think he sat for a reason this year. Victim of some heavy hype in the pre-season...
I think he is/ was effective against the run...he was exposed in coverage...against a run QB he might be very effective...and he hits like a freight train...my thoughts...fire away...in full Kevlar for this one...

I think he is/ was effective against the run...he was exposed in coverage...against a run QB he might be very effective...and he hits like a freight train...my thoughts...fire away...in full Kevlar for this one...
His run reads were worse than his pass coverage when he played.

But he hits like a freight train!! LOL

Amani Jones was the center of conversation on the BTN pre season visit. If Nick Fitgerald is as tough a runner as the SEC network says, Amani Jones will be needed.
Needed for what? Over pursuing and being in the completely wrong gap?

It takes us three years to install an alternate uniform and you think we can go to the 5-2 for a bowl game?

Our base 4-3 is pretty damn solid against the run as it is.

The 5-2 is for all intents and purposes a dead scheme.

True, it is now the 3-4 or the 4-3 (which Iowa plays often with the LEO playing at the LOS). Leroy Smith in our 5-2 is not much different than Wisconsin’s OLB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT