ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty good opinion piece on long-term consequences of rushing SCOTUS nominee

mitch said what I claimed he did. You said I was patently false.
have you proved yet skipper? Don’t miss my transcripts. You might interesting.
JFC - "You might interesting."

You need to sleep it off. When you wake up, check out post #65.

And then think about the idiocy of demanding someone else prove a negative. Again, you're a hack.

JFC - "You might interesting."

You need to sleep it off. When you wake up, check out post #65.

And then think about the idiocy of demanding someone else prove a negative. Again, you're a hack.

So do you see I was correct and you were wrong?

1. My version is an accurate version.
2. There are only two exceptions to this, one was in the 19th century and the other was when the nomination was not in the election year but confirmed in one.
3. Garland was a different situation. Mitch explained it.

what’s different? It wasn‘t the first time an SC spot came open in an election year when the senate and potus were held by different parties. But please, what’s this other example of when an SC nominee was even denied a hearing?

Not yet. All I see is someone who is having trouble putting sentences together right now.

Lol, ambien had kicked in. But Mitch’s statement is there for you to see that he said what you claimed was patently false. Good morning by the way.

Oh - I thought you were joking with that since it doesn't support your statement. Let's review.

What Mitch said was he would not allow an appointment on an election year when the Senate is controlled by the opposite party. People are forgetting there are two conditions there (1) election year (2) senate controlled by the opposite party.

Your link, in post #66, doesn't reflect that anywhere that I can see. Here it is for convenience.

Press Releases
The American People Should Have a Voice in the Selection of the Next Supreme Court Justice
February 22, 2016
WASHINGTON, D.C.
– U.S. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell made the following remarks on the Senate floor today regarding the Supreme Court's vacancy:
“I recently joined my good friend from Iowa, the Chairman of the Judiciary Committee, in writing an opinion piece.

“We expressed our joint view that the death of Justice Scalia represented a significant loss for our country and that, while finding the right person to take the seat he occupied will clearly be a monumental task, it's one we think the American people are more than equipped to tackle.

“Some disagree and would rather the Senate simply push through yet another lifetime appointment from a president who's on his way out the door.

“Of course it’s within the president’s authority to nominate a successor even in this very rare circumstance — remember that the Senate has not filled a vacancy arising in an election year when there was divided government since 1888, almost 130 years ago — but we also know that Article II, Section II of the Constitution grants the Senate the right to withhold its consent, as it deems necessary.

“It’s clear that concern over confirming Supreme Court nominations made near the end of a presidential term is not new. Given that we are in the midst of the presidential election process, the Chairman of the Judiciary Committee and I believe that it is today the American people who are best-positioned to help make this important decision — rather than a lame-duck president whose priorities and policies they just rejected in the most-recent national election.”

If you can point out where McConnell said he "would not allow an appointment on [sic] an election year" I'll gladly admit I was wrong.

Reactions: sober_teacher
“we need to think about court reform. And at a minimum, as part of that reform package, I think additional justices need to be placed on the Supreme Court.” - aka making the third leg of the government bend to our will

Oh - I thought you were joking with that since it doesn't support your statement. Let's review.

Your link, in post #66, doesn't reflect that anywhere that I can see. Here it is for convenience.

Press Releases
The American People Should Have a Voice in the Selection of the Next Supreme Court Justice
February 22, 2016
WASHINGTON, D.C.
– U.S. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell made the following remarks on the Senate floor today regarding the Supreme Court's vacancy:
“I recently joined my good friend from Iowa, the Chairman of the Judiciary Committee, in writing an opinion piece.

“We expressed our joint view that the death of Justice Scalia represented a significant loss for our country and that, while finding the right person to take the seat he occupied will clearly be a monumental task, it's one we think the American people are more than equipped to tackle.

“Some disagree and would rather the Senate simply push through yet another lifetime appointment from a president who's on his way out the door.

“Of course it’s within the president’s authority to nominate a successor even in this very rare circumstance — remember that the Senate has not filled a vacancy arising in an election year when there was divided government since 1888, almost 130 years ago — but we also know that Article II, Section II of the Constitution grants the Senate the right to withhold its consent, as it deems necessary.

“It’s clear that concern over confirming Supreme Court nominations made near the end of a presidential term is not new. Given that we are in the midst of the presidential election process, the Chairman of the Judiciary Committee and I believe that it is today the American people who are best-positioned to help make this important decision — rather than a lame-duck president whose priorities and policies they just rejected in the most-recent national election.”

If you can point out where McConnell said he "would not allow an appointment on [sic] an election year" I'll gladly admit I was wrong.

Apparently you cannot understand paragraph four.

Apparently you cannot understand paragraph four.
This one?

Where does McConnell say "he would not allow an appointment on an election year when the Senate is controlled by the opposite party". I don't see that. I do see where he says the Senate has not filled such a vacancy and that the Senate can withhold consent, but nowhere do I see that McConnell said he would not allow an appointment as you have stated.

Again, if you can point out where he said what you attribute, I will happily admit that I was wrong.

This one?

Where does McConnell say "he would not allow an appointment on an election year when the Senate is controlled by the opposite party". I don't see that. I do see where he says the Senate has not filled such a vacancy and that the Senate can withhold consent, but nowhere do I see that McConnell said he would not allow an appointment as you have stated.

Again, if you can point out where he said what you attribute, I will happily admit that I was wrong.

“-remember the Senate has not filled a vacancy arising in an election year when there was a divided government since 1888...”

I dont need you to admit anything.

“-remember the Senate has not filled a vacancy arising in an election year when there was a divided government since 1888...”

I dont need you to admit anything.
Of course you don't. Turns out I'm not wrong.

For future reference, "has not filled" /= "would not allow". I hope that helps you avoid future embarrassment.

ADVERTISEMENT