ADVERTISEMENT

Prime Time Will Fail at Colorado

I'm watching this clown show unfold at Colorado and can't help but laugh. Deion Sanders is taking over a 1-11 program, casts aside the entire roster, and goes to the recruiting rankings to start handing out scholarship offers to every top player, committed or not, at every position.

While the guy never lacked confidence, he's walking into a Power 5 program and already burning bridges. He's instantly telling his own team that his son will be the starting QB and that there will be no competition. Not unlike a Ferentz nepotism situation where he hired Brian as OC without interviewing a single other candidate.

Granted, Deion's kid had success (passed for 3,400 yards this year against the likes of Alabama...A&M). But he did so at a much lower level against much lower competition. Regardless, is that the message you want to send to your own team? At least fake it that merit, hard work, and competition matter (i.e. like what Kirk told Padilla after last season).

I think back to just a few months ago. Deion was the self-proclaimed ambassador of historically black colleges. He was going to put them on the map as a major football power. He was convincing top recruits to forego big schools and attend his DII school, not for his own personal gain, but to make a difference for the black community and give them something to be proud of. Those kids took a chance on him, passed up going to Notre Dame or Stanford for the likes of Jackson State, and a year later he's abandoned them (or bringing the best ones with him to rebuild a 1-11 school). What's he going to sell kids considering Colorado? That he plans to stick around only until he can climb the ladder and end up at a big Florida school?
Not going through the whole thread, but he is (was) an FCS level coach (formerly Div 1-A),

On the contrary, it's pretty easy to argue this is a fantastic opportunity. P5. Nowhere to go but up. You're not following a legend or continuing some long tradition of recent winning. That said, traditionally a proud program (was in Pac 12 championship only 6 years ago, national championship 1990). A great home field advantage (when the team is not truly terrible). The money will be there as needed. And a league that doesn't really value defense.
I hadn't realized they had won the pac 12 championship just 6 years ago. They fell hard.

I was looking at his recruits. He must know how to recruit wr. He has like 6 coming in.
He lost 11 to the portal and has gained 13 so far. Noticed Fenske who use to be at Iowa, is in the portal. Portal haul is ranked #3

His class ranked 40th with three four stars. He can definitely recruit.

Reactions: Bishop1971
For what it's worth, I don't think he'll crash & burn at Colorado.
They possibly could be at least better right away next year.
Credit for him having the guts to start at the bottom.

For what it's worth, I don't think he'll crash & burn at Colorado.
They possibly could be at least better right away next year.
Credit for him having the guts to start at the bottom.
He will do okay, but if they think he will be there for more than maybe 4 years they are kidding themselves.

Reactions: Bishop1971
He will do okay, but if they think he will be there for more than maybe 4 years they are kidding themselves.

If this is true then he's likely done exactly what Colorado hired him to do, sell tickets by rejuvenating the football program.

If this is true then he's likely done exactly what Colorado hired him to do, sell tickets by rejuvenating the football program.
I had the same thought about Colorado selling tickets. Then I saw this... Colorado's attendance was 30th in the country, 3rd in the PAC and better than 4 B1G schools. 94% full....even after 5 straight losing seasons. They haven't been winning but they are selling tickets.

https://247sports.com/college/west-...s/college-football-attendance-2022-192756718/

Reactions: BonzoFury
LOLorado football has been a joke for, what, over 25 years? I guess they have nothing to lose.

It looks like Colorado just had their top recruit, a 5 star WR, decommit. He won't be the first guy caught up in Deion's hype machine who finally realizes he'd rather play for a coach who cares more about his players than himself.

This thread has some great receipts in it. The Colorado defense is a dumpster fire, but Shedeur certainly made that transition look pretty simple.

26TD
3INT
69.5% completion rate

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I still do not get that hire or why anyone would hire him from here on out. Deion to me seems like the guy who is going to bolt as soon as his sons are both gone.

The only thing Colorado has managed to do this season is beat an overrated TCU team early in the season. Everything else has gone pretty much as predicted. That didn't stop the media from linking Sanders to every possible high-profile coaching vacancy. Now that the shine is off the apple, where are all the cameras? Where is the Heisman hype for Shadeur or Travis Hunter?
The spotlight has certainly left Boulder. Deion won't be too far behind.

I still do not get that hire or why anyone would hire him from here on out. Deion to me seems like the guy who is going to bolt as soon as his sons are both gone.

‘Could be. All I can really say about this Deion hire as someone that lives in Colorado. This buffaloes program was a disaster last season and a complete afterthought in the Denver market. There has been more talk and more fandom in the last year than the previous 10 combined. He has made the boulder community and cu itself a lot of money. Now, people are jumping ship and we will see how this plays out over the next couple years, but short term, he has completely resurrected a flat lined program and a community that had little to no interest in the buffalo program.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
The only thing Colorado has managed to do this season is beat an overrated TCU team early in the season. Everything else has gone pretty much as predicted. That didn't stop the media from linking Sanders to every possible high-profile coaching vacancy. Now that the shine is off the apple, where are all the cameras? Where is the Heisman hype for Shadeur or Travis Hunter?
The spotlight has certainly left Boulder. Deion won't be too far behind.
Which is still more than last year. I hate to judge a job on one year. They had some real close losses, but there were def some blunders. He shouldn't have pulled the play calling duties from their OC. And he NEEDS to stop publicly shaming his players when losing.

The attitude starts from the top down, and the whole team looked soft AF in Pullman on a chilly night. WSU is NOT a good team right now, and they just got beat by 50.

Which is still more than last year. I hate to judge a job on one year. They had some real close losses, but there were def some blunders. He shouldn't have pulled the play calling duties from their OC. And he NEEDS to stop publicly shaming his players when losing.

The attitude starts from the top down, and the whole team looked soft AF in Pullman on a chilly night. WSU is NOT a good team right now, and they just got beat by 50.
They’re soft and they have discipline problems. And if recruits keep bailing, things will not be getting better.

ADVERTISEMENT