ADVERTISEMENT

PRIMER on AJ BLAZEK re: Polasek

ukrainehawk

HR All-State
Gold Member
Aug 27, 2005
Following my Mike Goff and Mike Devlin Primer, here’s a look at another favorite- though he might be impossible to pry away from Vanderbilt and David Raih-

AJ Blazek is a 42-year old native of Wichita, Kansas who was the momentary Offensive Line Coach at Wyoming before accepting a similar appointment at Vanderbilt of the SEC earlier this month, joining Offensive Coordinator and Hawkeye alum David Raih.

His coaching road:

Graduate Assistant, University of Iowa (2002-2004)
Offensive Line and Offensive Coordinator, Fort Hays State (2005-2008)
Offensive Line and Tight Ends/Co-Offensive Coordinator, Winona State (2009-2012)*
Offensive Line and Run Game Coordinator, Western Illinois University (2013-2015)
Offensive Line and Assistant Head Coach, Rutgers University (2016-2018)
Offensive Line Coach, North Dakota State, (2019-2020)**
Offensive Line Coach, Wyoming, (one week – 2021)
Offensive Line Coach, Vanderbilt, (2021)

* FCS National Champions
** Blazek was named American Football Coaches Association Division II Assistant Coach of the Year in 2012

“AJ enjoys an excellent national reputation as an offensive line coach and recruiter,” Craig Bohl said in a statement.

Blazek helped the Bison set a school record with 4,601 rushing yards in 2019. NDSU finished fourth in the Football Championship Subdivision in rushing and fifth in fewest sacks allowed per game that season and won the National Championship.

Blazek, an All-American at Butler (Kan.) Community College, was recruited by and played center for Kirk Ferentz during his first two years at Iowa. He became a team captain as a senior, when he was an honorable-mention All-Big Ten pick. Discussing his time as a grad assistant there, he said, “Everywhere I've been I've learned something," he said. "It started being a part of Kirk's staff, where I learned so much. And everywhere I've gone I've picked up something from a lot of great coaches."

“The roots with the Hawkeyes are something Blazek embraces. He exchanges text messages frequently with Ferentz. "Kirk Ferentz, (offensive coordinator) Brian Ferentz, (special teams coordinator) LeVar Woods, (defensive coordinator) Phil Parker, those guys are like family to me," Blazek said. "I talk to them all of the time. They're a big part of where I'm at. It's come full-circle for me." (SID notes- )

Like you say, i doubt this one is in the cards even if both parties would like it to happen. Perfect lack of timing.

I don't know anything about his ability but I don't see a focused line of progression on his resume.

I don't know anything about his ability but I don't see a focused line of progression on his resume.

Unfortunately I can't imagine he's coming with the recent job hopping. But there is a progression on his resume.
Started as a grad assistant, then small schools, up to Big Ten. Got out of town from Rutgers before the Ash regime came crashing down by going to the best FCS school to go to. Yes ND State isn't Big Ten, but I'd argue it is a better football school than Rutgers. From there he went back up to a major conference, albeit a school about as bad as Rutgers for football. One week at Wyoming doesn't really count.

Reactions: jstefl
Didn't he also just accept the Rutgers job when the OL Coach spot opened up the last time? Kept to his commitment and stayed on at Rutger instead of the possibility of the Iowa job?

His stints are getting shorter and shorter at each location. I'd like to have someone who is going to stick around for awhile.

His stints are getting shorter and shorter at each location. I'd like to have someone who is going to stick around for awhile.

You do realize that some of those moves were not of his choice correct? Staying at Rutgers for 3 years during the Chris Ash debacle there is a long time. He would have been gone in 1 more year anyway when Ash got canned.

I mean I don’t really care if he took 10 jobs in three weeks this year. If iowa is where he wants to be sign him up.
Sometimes you gotta make your career happen, and look out for #1

I mean I don’t really care if he took 10 jobs in three weeks this year. If iowa is where he wants to be sign him up.
Sometimes you gotta make your career happen, and look out for #1
See Jay Valai - who moves from the NFL after eleven days to Alabama... 4th job in a year.

prim·er
/ˈprīmər/

noun
  • 1.a substance used as a preparatory coat on previously unpainted wood, metal, or canvas, especially to prevent the absorption of subsequent layers of paint or the development of rust: "apply three coats of primer"
  • 2.a cap or cylinder containing a compound which responds to friction or an electrical impulse and ignites the charge in a cartridge or explosive: "the nitro-cellulose is ignited by the spark that comes from the primer"

• JK had to throw that in

prim·er
/ˈprīmər/

noun
  • 1.a substance used as a preparatory coat on previously unpainted wood, metal, or canvas, especially to prevent the absorption of subsequent layers of paint or the development of rust: "apply three coats of primer"
  • 2.a cap or cylinder containing a compound which responds to friction or an electrical impulse and ignites the charge in a cartridge or explosive: "the nitro-cellulose is ignited by the spark that comes from the primer"

[ primer \'pri-mər\ n. 1: a small book for teaching children to read; 2: a small introductory book on a subject; 3: a short informative piece of writing. ] – Merriam-Webster.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT