ADVERTISEMENT

Primers on MIKE DEVLIN and MIKE GOFF re: Polasek

ukrainehawk

HR All-State
Gold Member
Aug 27, 2005
Mike Devlin and Mike Goff are two names that have been mentioned here prominently as potential Offensive Line Coaches. While I remember both as tough, hard-nosed and successful Hawkeyes, I had not followed their coaching and NFL careers closely. Here’s a primer on each-

Mike Devlin is a 51-year old Virginia native. Tom Kakert, in his nomination for Mike Devlin for Iowa’s Mt. Rushmore of Offensive Linemen, wrote, ”Devlin was named 2nd team All Big Ten in his sophomore year, when he started all 12 games for a very productive Iowa offense. Devlin earned first team All Big Ten honors in his final two seasons with the Hawkeye and was named Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year in his senior season.”

His coaching resumé looks like this:

Offensive Line Coach, University of Toledo (2004–2005)
Tight Ends Coach for the New York Jets (20062012)
Offensive Line Coach for the New York Jets (2013-2014)
Offensive Line for the Houston Texans (2015–2021)

A recent posting on “Aaron Wilson_NFL” indicates:
“Texans OL coach Mike Devlin, interviewing for Giants OL job, was also requested by Steelers, but didn't interview w/ them.”

He was selected by the Buffalo Bills in the fifth round of the 1993 NFL Draft. He played 58 career games over a span of seven years in the NFL. During his three-year stint with the Buffalo Bills, he played on special teams and at center and guard and made an appearance in Super Bowl XXVIII. On March 8, 1996, Devlin signed with the Arizona Cardinals. During his time there, he was part of the starting lineup at center in all but two of twenty-six games. Devlin retired from playing after the 1999 season.

Mike Goff is a 45-year old Illinois native. Goff was a four-year letterman, and as a player at Iowa under legendary Hawkeye head coach Hayden Fry, his teams went to three bowl games including his final two seasons as a starter. Goff played in 47 games with 24 starts and, as a senior, he started all 12 games at right guard for the nation’s eighth-ranked rushing attack.”

2010-2011: San Diego State (Volunteer Assistant Line Coach)
2014: Hilltop High School, Chula Vista CA (Assistant Coach)
2015-2018: University of Southern California (Assistant Offensive Line Coach)
2019-2020: Western Kentucky University (Offensive Line Coach)

The WKU Guide wrote of his time there, “PFF College ranked the Hilltoppers 20th in the FBS as an offensive line, including No. 1 in pass-blocking grade, while surrendering a pressure on only 12.7% of their pass-blocked snaps, which was the eight-lowest percentage in the nation.”

While assisting with the offensive line at USC, Goff coached an offensive line that was a semi-finalist for the Joe Moore Award.

Goff was drafted in the third round of the 1998 NFL Draft, and became a 12-year veteran and a 2005 All-Pro. His career included runs with the Cincinnati Bengals (1998-2003), San Diego Chargers (2004-08) and Kansas City Chiefs (2009). Goff started 154 of his 171 career games in the league. He retied after the 2009 season.

Hope this helps!

I don’t see Devlin dripping from the NFL to college. Not unless it was a promotion to OC or Head Coach.

I could see Goff being a possibility, but don’t know if is resume is there yet.

AJ Blazek is a Ferentz guy with a long OL Coach career, including time under Ferentz and time at Rutgers. He’d be a really good candidate if he hadn’t already jumped jobs twice this offseason.

Marshal Yanda retired to Marian. I know he doesn’t need the money, but I wonder if he has an itch to get back involved with the game. A guy with zero coaching experience isn’t a very likely hire for a position as important as OL coach though. But if he has interest you’d find a way to get him involved in some other way in hopes he grows into the role the next time it opens up.

In all likelihood, it will be someone that most of us have never heard of.

I don’t see Devlin dripping from the NFL to college. Not unless it was a promotion to OC or Head Coach.

AJ Blazek is a Ferentz guy with a long OL Coach career, including time under Ferentz and time at Rutgers. He’d be a really good candidate if he hadn’t already jumped jobs twice this offseason.

Marshal Yanda retired to Marian. I know he doesn’t need the money, but I wonder if he has an itch to get back involved with the game. A guy with zero coaching experience isn’t a very likely hire for a position as important as OL coach though. But if he has interest you’d find a way to get him involved in some other way in hopes he grows into the role the next time it opens up.

I totally get the "no coaching experience" thing, and history shows that the best players usually aren't the best coaches/teachers, while the best coaches/teachers weren't the best players. However, if they announced Yanda, I'd be happy with it. It would be instant credibility with recruits: "you'll be coached by a guy who had a very long NFL career and was considered to be one of the very best during that career", and it's not like he's a fossil who won't be able to relate to the players. As has been pointed out, he's not exactly on a budget and looking for change in the couch cushions, but it would be interested to see his interest.

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
Goff is an interesting name. I would be excited for this hire, but I am aware that Goff and Iowa relationship has been on ice for a while now.

Why is there some animosity between he and KF?
It might be sour grapes but I think when Goff was attempting to get a foot in the coaching door after playing, he got a lukewarm at best response from the program in terms of a reference or networking partner. It looks like he was willing to coach for free to get started.

however I may not be entirely correct. But a pro bowl-er ,, long time NFL player and Iowa alum who is hungry to produce results in the coaching realm would seem like a no brainer of a hire. Bringing more NFL playing experience into the coaching room can only help.

I feel like we push too hard for former Hawkeyes to be coaches (Not that we have any say in the matter). I think it is a nice to have. But I like the idea of bringing in fresh thinking, innovation, etc. as the first order of business. If we can achieve that AND they are Hawkeyes, that would be the pinnacle.

(PS this was not directed at the OP, more of a cumulative observation)

Last edited:
I feel like we push too hard for former Hawkeyes to be coaches. Not that we have any say in the matter. I think it is a nice to have. Especially if they have gained a range of experiences in other successful programs. But I like the idea of bringing in fresh thinking, innovation, etc. from non Hawkeyes too. If we can achieve that AND they are Hawkeyes, that would be the pinnacle.
Yeah I don't really care where they come from as long as they can recruit and can teach.

Mike Devlin and Mike Goff are two names that have been mentioned here prominently as potential Offensive Line Coaches. While I remember both as tough, hard-nosed and successful Hawkeyes, I had not followed their coaching and NFL careers closely. Here’s a primer on each-

Mike Devlin is a 51-year old Virginia native. Tom Kakert, in his nomination for Mike Devlin for Iowa’s Mt. Rushmore of Offensive Linemen, wrote, ”Devlin was named 2nd team All Big Ten in his sophomore year, when he started all 12 games for a very productive Iowa offense. Devlin earned first team All Big Ten honors in his final two seasons with the Hawkeye and was named Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year in his senior season.”

Offensive Line Coach, University of Toledo (2004–2005)
Tight Ends Coach for the New York Jets (20062012)
Offensive Line Coach for the New York Jets (2013-2014)
Offensive Line for the Houston Texans (2015–2021)

A recent posting on “Aaron Wilson_NFL” indicates:
“Texans OL coach Mike Devlin, interviewing for Giants OL job, was also requested by Steelers, but didn't interview w/ them.”

He was selected by the Buffalo Bills in the fifth round of the 1993 NFL Draft. He played 58 career games over a span of seven years in the NFL. During his three-year stint with the Buffalo Bills, he played on special teams and at center and guard and made an appearance in Super Bowl XXVIII. On March 8, 1996, Devlin signed with the Arizona Cardinals. During his time there, he was part of the starting lineup at center in all but two of twenty-six games. Devlin retired from playing after the 1999 season.

Mike Goff is a 45-year old Illinois native. Goff was a four-year letterman, and as a player at Iowa under legendary Hawkeye head coach Hayden Fry, his teams went to three bowl games including his final two seasons as a starter. Goff played in 47 games with 24 starts and, as a senior, he started all 12 games at right guard for the nation’s eighth-ranked rushing attack.”

2010-2011: San Diego State (Volunteer Assistant Line Coach)
2014: Hilltop High School, Chula Vista CA (Assistant Coach)
2015-2018: University of Southern California (Assistant Offensive Line Coach)
2019-2020: Western Kentucky University (Offensive Line Coach)

The WKU Guide wrote of his time there, “PFF College ranked the Hilltoppers 20th in the FBS as an offensive line, including No. 1 in pass-blocking grade, while surrendering a pressure on only 12.7% of their pass-blocked snaps, which was the eight-lowest percentage in the nation.”

While assisting with the offensive line at USC, Goff coached an offensive line that was a semi-finalist for the Joe Moore Award.

Goff was drafted in the third round of the 1998 NFL Draft, and became a 12-year veteran and a 2005 All-Pro. His career included runs with the Cincinnati Bengals (1998-2003), San Diego Chargers (2004-08) and Kansas City Chiefs (2009). Goff started 154 of his 171 career games in the league. He retied after the 2009 season.

Hope this helps!
Good post.

Serious question: Do you live in Ukraine?

Aiken? I know he was a defensive line coach,,but he was a great teacher/
human being/ black coach

Reactions: DogBoyRy
Good post.

Serious question: Do you live in Ukraine?
HI- No, but I was posted there in 2003-2004, during the Orange Revolution as a Senior Fulbright Scholar. It was my most memorable year, I made lifelong friends and have continued to include Ukrainian issues in my work as a U of I playwright, including a 2020 play set in the Ukrainian/Russian war called Ukrainian Nocturne. I changed my username to UkraineHawk while serving there in 2004.

Reactions: intrepodor
It might be sour grapes but I think when Goff was attempting to get a foot in the coaching door after playing, he got a lukewarm at best response from the program in terms of a reference or networking partner. It looks like he was willing to coach for free to get started.
OP here. I was not aware of this, but I was puzzled that both on a Pro Football website and on Wikipedia, though there were paragraphs about his high school career, his professional career and his coaching career, there was no paragraph about his college career - and I had to search through several other sites to find the info. Hmmm.

Reactions: BDJHawk
HI- No, but I was posted there in 2003-2004, during the Orange Revolution as a Senior Fulbright Scholar. It was my most memorable year, I made lifelong friends and have continued to include Ukrainian issues in my work as a U of I playwright, including a 2020 play set in the Ukrainian/Russian war called Ukrainian Nocturne. I changed my username to UkraineHawk while serving there in 2004.

Suddenly I feel pretty boring.

however I may not be entirely correct. But a pro bowl-er ,, long time NFL player and Iowa alum who is hungry to produce results in the coaching realm would seem like a no brainer of a hire. Bringing more NFL playing experience into the coaching room can only help.
I would hope Brian will reach out to him as I also hope it was Greg Davis who gave the lukewarm response vs Kirk.

Reactions: Bank of Hawk
Well, guys like Yanda aren’t a possibility, IMHO. He is very wealthy and it appears to me that he wants to spend time with his wife and kids. Hitting the road to recruit year-round probably has no appeal to that guy.

Reactions: Quintana
OP here. I was not aware of this, but I was puzzled that both on a Pro Football website and on Wikipedia, though there were paragraphs about his high school career, his professional career and his coaching career, there was no paragraph about his college career - and I had to search through several other sites to find the info. Hmmm.
Wish I could say more.

I would hope Brian will reach out to him as I also hope it was Greg Davis who gave the lukewarm response vs Kirk.
Idk where the relationship soured. My guess if Kf reached out privately and offered professional support, the relationship would probably quickly mend. But there are many players that pass through the program and It’s not as if KF can truly maintain relationships with everyone especially players who he didn’t coach.

ANALYST

I like Yanda but doubt he wants to coach, doesn't need the money.

Goff and Ferentz are like oil and water, that will not happen.

Devlin would be great but he's not leaving the East or NFL.

I'm sure Ferentz knows numerous OL coaches. Need a good recruiter with Midwest ties. Iowa doesn't drift too far for OL.

Re: Mike Devlin 'dropping' from the pros to college- see Jay Valai leaving the NFL after 11 days to join Alabama's staff. I know, I know, we're not Alabama. But maybe...

I like Yanda but doubt he wants to coach, doesn't need the money.

Goff and Ferentz are like oil and water, that will not happen.

Devlin would be great but he's not leaving the East or NFL.

I'm sure Ferentz knows numerous OL coaches. Need a good recruiter with Midwest ties. Iowa doesn't drift too far for OL.

Not sure what you mean leaving the East. He lives in Sugarland TX with his family. His MS age son goes to St. Laurence school in the Galveston-Houston Diocese system. He used to work for the Jets but went to work for the Texans when Obrien was hired.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT