ADVERTISEMENT

Prince Died Without a Will, According to Court Documents

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Prince died without a will, according to court documents filed by his sister, which may cause complications for his financial estate and musical legacy.

In probate documents filed on Tuesday with the court in Carver County, Minn., Tyka Nelson, 55, Prince’s sister, said that her brother died without a spouse, children or surviving parents, and that “I do not know of the existence of a will.”

Ms. Nelson’s petition, which was filed by her lawyers but listed no legal representation for Prince’s estate, asked the court to name a special administrator for the estate “because no personal representative has been appointed in Minnesota or elsewhere.” Ms. Nelson asked for the court to name an affiliate of the Bremer Bank as the administrator, saying that the bank had provided financial services to Prince “for a number of years, and has knowledge of his personal financial and business financial affairs.”

In addition to Ms. Nelson, the document lists five half-siblings of Prince as interested parties: his half-brothers John Nelson, Alfred Jackson and Omar Baker, and his half-sisters Norrine and Sharon Nelson. According to Minnesota law, surviving half-siblings are treated the same as full siblings.

No estimate was listed for the financial value of Prince’s estate in the probate documents, and a publicist representing that singer did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The filing was first reported by TMZ.

Prince, whose full name was Prince Rogers Nelson, died on Thursday at 57. Late in his career he regained rights to his music, but he was known to have employed a revolving circle of lawyers and business advisers.

He also handled many business matters personally, calling concert promoters, record company executives and even executives at digital music services himself, leaving many in the music business to wonder how his recordings and songs would be handled after his death.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/27/a...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

I don't think it complicates any thing very much. It's all cut and dried, so to speak. However, those who feel entitled to the riches of Prince's labors might think otherwise. I am sure Minnesota has laws for intestate estates.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT