ADVERTISEMENT

Princeton Grades

UndercoverHawk

HR All-American
Dec 16, 2015
Spencer- A that was probably the most competitive TF I’ve ever seen. Glory was game and rode Spencer hard and good scrambles.

Desanchise- A+ coming hard all first period then reversal to back right away in the second.

Murin- A+ unless Murin gets dinged up we will not see Turk in a dual meet. Max looked slick and strong

Lugo- B Lugo didn’t need the stoppages. He looked stronger at the end of the match. He was in on more shots just needed to finish. Those back points would’ve been big.

Young- C+ Young got out athleted in this match. He was walking into shots and really didn’t take many himself. Gutted out the win. For mid November I’ll take it.

Bull- A+ what else to say

Wilson- D+ Pumping brakes time. I thought Wilson looked really good last week and in wrestleoffs but man he was outmatched tonight.

Wilcke- B+ vintage Wilcke not doing a whole hell of a lot. Almost gave up 2 late then got a garbage time td.

Corbin- C Corbin just outmatched but fought hard and kept it to dec.

Costello- A looked like Stoll out there. Going upper body getting stalls on pushout. Hard ride. Looking for fall. Would’ve liked to have seen the major or fall but Costello looked great.

Meet went about as expected. I thought Young might win by more, but Monday proved he is a game opponent, looked good on his feet. Not too worried about Young, we've seen DSJ win many similar matches that looked just like that before with his counter offense and mat skills, no shame in that.

149 was a toss up, and Lugo wrestled a good match other than the first period. Took a few half shots but never really committed and let Kolodzik sneak one out on him at the end of the 1st, which proved to be key later on in the match. Then perhaps it wouldn't have come down to trying a desperation cartwheel over TD at the end.

Lee, DeSanto, and Murin all looked like straight buzzsaws.. bringing me back to the McD, Ramos, Marion days. I don't think the PA trio will have as high avg placement as the older trio, but its nice to have a good 1-2-3 punch again instead of just a 1-2. Might be a bit early but I expect big years out of both DeSanto and Murin (and obviously Lee).

Wilcke started off slow but showed his usual slickness and finished the match strong. He looks much improved on the mat this year, where the past few years it seemed the first sign of adversity when he was riding he would cut them, though being up a weight may have played a factor as well.

Costello continues to show he is a damn solid backup. Would be a starter for a lot of D1 schools out there and he is the 3rd best HWT on the Iowa roster this year.

Wilson went up against a pretty solid kid. Stefanik was a PA state champ I believe, decently highly ranked recruit coming out of HS, compared to UR Myles Wilson. He just looked outmatched.

Bull dominated just like the lower weights, as expected. He is tough in that cowcatcher position, he looks better at threading it on the back without letting it slip potentially dangerous, but of course a limited sample size against no tough competition so far.

Corbin, see Wilson. He was just outmatched by a top 10 guy at the weight. But showed good fight to avoid the major at the end.

Lugo did not have back points. I have watched it a dozen times. That ref would have needed to be on his belly with his hand in the air to start counting at the start of the period. At the 1:57 mark Kolodzik was already on his base with the single leg secured that he used to get the reversal. Was he on his back, yes. Was it close, yes. And I would venture to guess 90% of college refs would have called it the same. It was a 1 count at best.

Lugo did not have back points. I have watched it a dozen times. That ref would have needed to be on his belly with his hand in the air to start counting at the start of the period. At the 1:57 mark Kolodzik was already on his base with the single leg secured that he used to get the reversal. Was he on his back, yes. Was it close, yes. And I would venture to guess 90% of college refs would have called it the same. It was a 1 count at best.

99 (83) % of posters would agree

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan

ehhhh I watched it in super slow-mo a half dozen times. The clock did not start on the whistle. It was a second late. I'd say it was about a 1.8 = 1.9 count. Impossible to tell without more precise clock displaying tenths of a second. I'm fine with the no call, but it was super close and if he would've called the 2 initially on the mat, I don't think he would've overturned it on the review.

Spencer- A that was probably the most competitive TF I’ve ever seen. Glory was game and rode Spencer hard and good scrambles.

Desanchise- A+ coming hard all first period then reversal to back right away in the second.

Murin- A+ unless Murin gets dinged up we will not see Turk in a dual meet. Max looked slick and strong

Lugo- B Lugo didn’t need the stoppages. He looked stronger at the end of the match. He was in on more shots just needed to finish. Those back points would’ve been big.

Young- C+ Young got out athleted in this match. He was walking into shots and really didn’t take many himself. Gutted out the win. For mid November I’ll take it.

Bull- A+ what else to say

Wilson- D+ Pumping brakes time. I thought Wilson looked really good last week and in wrestleoffs but man he was outmatched tonight.

Wilcke- B+ vintage Wilcke not doing a whole hell of a lot. Almost gave up 2 late then got a garbage time td.

Corbin- C Corbin just outmatched but fought hard and kept it to dec.

Costello- A looked like Stoll out there. Going upper body getting stalls on pushout. Hard ride. Looking for fall. Would’ve liked to have seen the major or fall but Costello looked great.

If I’m a Princeton fan I’m pretty pleased. Patrick Glory looked about as good as u can look losing 18-2. He looks like an AA to me. Spencer is just that good. Kolodzik is so fundamentally sound, he’ll be a tough out for anyone. With Brucki and that kid at 174, the Tigers could easily have 4 All Americans. I’d be surprised if that’s ever happened before. Can’t wait to see our full varsity squad on parade.

Haven’t watched a replay yet so I will take your word for it.

Haven’t watched a replay yet so I will take your word for it.
Bang bang for sure. It was close

Based on what I saw tonight; Warner looks ready to go. He was behind the bench reffing the entire meet.

My favorite moment (besides domination) was Wilke cutting his guy only up by a couple with 30 seconds left going for a major. Not sure why you'd do that from a mathematical standpoint, but still good to see.

If you watch Brands, he tells him to let him go.
The thought was “most probably” less danger going neutral than risk rolling around with the guy.

Princeton guy was funky...

As I expected, Glory was a gamer and gave Spencer the toughest tech I've seen. Glad to see Desanto and Murin get big CHA debuts.

Also as expected, not a lot of wolf at 84. Looks like the same Cash as last year, very Myersesque. He'll be solid workman like guy, not sure he'll put up many points.

Lugo could have won that one. Needs more urgency in the 1st, can't give up end of period take down . He'll be a factor in March.

I'm getting nervous with the Kem situation. Not just the knee, but someone just text me the official weigh in sheet and shows he stepped on the scale at 159.7 Anyone know if this is true and if so, what's really going on?

Reactions: artradley
I'm getting nervous with the Kem situation. Not just the knee, but someone just text me the official weigh in sheet and shows he stepped on the scale at 159.7 Anyone know if this is true and if so, what's really going on?
159.7 is the lowest possible weight he is certified to drop to, so 165 lb weight class. His last official weigh in was 174 lbs and some ounces.

Ok that makes more sense as the last couple times I've seen him I would have bet anything he weighed more than that. Thanks for clearing that up..... now just the knee that's concerning

Kem is dinged up but will be wrestling this year - just carefully chosen spots. It’s all good ya heard. Nuff said son.

Reactions: nwhawkincr
Some good info from the radio broadcast. Ironside said that Warner hurt himself in a freak accident and has been injured. Didn’t sound too serious. Ironside also said Stoll had meniscus surgery and should be in the line up soon. I don’t think either of these items were known generally on the board.

Meniscus? Was it right or left knee and any idea if the meniscus is related to the off season incident?

I know its early in the year but my grades would be a little different.
Lee: A, actually think Glory will be a AA it's almost unfair how good Spencer is
Desanto: A, fans are going to really enjoy watching him.
Murin: A, I've said before he's going to surprise a lot of people this year. Plus he reminds me a bit of Jaybo personality wise.
Lugo: D, its early but starting to have concerns about him. Kolodzik was done after the 1st and still found a way to win. Could go on but no need to now. Wait and see I guess.
Young: C-, walked into shots and did some silly things but didn't panic and gutted out a ugly win.
Bull A, hand fight, pressure, pressure, pressure. "Old school" wrestling at it's best.
174: Pass up a weight showed a lot of fight just out manned. Kem please get healthy. Get ready for similar year to Clark where you seem him used sparingly.
Wilcke: B, still not scoring enough early. Was a 1 pt match going into 3rd. Should have had a 3 or 4 pt lead after the 1st. But he did score more in the 3rd than last year so there is hope there.
197: Pass, Warner please get in there. I enjoyed watching him from the sideline. You could tell he wanted out there real bad.
Costello: A, 3 very solid heavys on this team. All 3 bring something different to the table but the best one might be redshirting.

If I’m a Princeton fan I’m pretty pleased. Patrick Glory looked about as good as u can look losing 18-2. He looks like an AA to me. Spencer is just that good. Kolodzik is so fundamentally sound, he’ll be a tough out for anyone. With Brucki and that kid at 174, the Tigers could easily have 4 All Americans. I’d be surprised if that’s ever happened before. Can’t wait to see our full varsity squad on parade.
Sat next to Brucki's parents last year at Midlands what a great family.They have another son that wrestles for W Michigan.Brucki is from Illinois and beat Warner was hoping for a rematch last night.

Lee: A, actually think Glory will be a AA it's almost unfair how good Spencer is
Murin: A, I've said before he's going to surprise a lot of people this year. Plus he reminds me a bit of Jaybo personality wise.
Lugo: D, its early but starting to have concerns about him. Kolodzik was done after the 1st and still found a way to win. Could go on but no need to now. Wait and see I guess.
Young: C-, walked into shots and did some silly things but didn't panic and gutted out a ugly win.
Bull A, hand fight, pressure, pressure, pressure. "Old school" wrestling at it's best.
174: Pass up a weight showed a lot of fight just out manned. Kem please get healthy. Get ready for similar year to Clark where you seem him used sparingly.
Wilcke: B, still not scoring enough early. Was a 1 pt match going into 3rd. Should have had a 3 or 4 pt lead after the 1st. But he did score more in the 3rd than last year so there is hope there.
197: Pass, Warner please get in there. I enjoyed watching him from the sideline. You could tell he wanted out there real bad.
Costello: A, 3 very solid heavys on this team. All 3 bring something different to the table but the best one might be redshirting.

I agree on Lugo. He looks sloppy to me. I do think he will make big strides wrestling a Big 10 schedule and make a run at a not so deep 149. Kolodzik didn’t look great last night, not #1 great.....not sure he ever will.

Reactions: TarpHawk

I agree on Lugo. He looks sloppy to me. I do think he will make big strides wrestling a Big 10 schedule and make a run at a not so deep 149. Kolodzik didn’t look great last night, not #1 great.....not sure he ever will.

IMHO he looked like plenty of number ones in carver early in the season. Lugo is tough. Open weight. Go get it

Agree with most posters on every grade, although both Young and Wilcke seam to be the exact same as last year, regardless of new weight class. Just enough to win. Brands was not happy with him cutting with time winding down, at least that's what he stated on radio to Ironside.
But there are some positives, this preason was far better than the Iowa duals and we are facing wrestlers we may see in NCAA tournament. Always nice to get film on schools you don't see usually.
Side note talked with Kenny Monday before the meet, actually had a video of him vs Nate Carr he wanted me to send him.

I thought most wrestled well but disappointed most that we gave up TDs and escapes at the very end of the period.

I agreed Lugo didnt have NF but was close and Glory is going to be good.

In the way that Kem can shoot in on a leg and hold on even thought he is flat on his belly, Lugo can't seem to do that. Several times he let go with one hand to use as a base and lost the scoring chance.

For as much as Young supposedly cuts he didnt look like the bigger guy.

157 is the only concern for me. I think we have a great shot at AA everywhere else. Young reminds me of Alex Meyer ... slow feet, always in the crackdown position trying to crotch lift after giving up his legs, solid rider (not a turner). That’s a recipe for a perennial coin flip in the round of 12.

Was Wilke or Young cutting late?

The guys looked good. Wilke's guy was unbeaten so far I think, seemed to have some talent. Young looked zapped from the start to me, he usually has more quickness about him. Maybe nerves or a bad cut. The guy who beat Wilson was a pretty high end recruit. Corbin gives a lot of effort. Costello a great guy to have on the team.

157 is the only concern for me. I think we have a great shot at AA everywhere else. Young reminds me of Alex Meyer ... slow feet, always in the crackdown position trying to crotch lift after giving up his legs, solid rider (not a turner). That’s a recipe for a perennial coin flip in the round of 12.
Young is nothing like Meyer. He didn't look comfortable last night but the comparison is way off. He is usually very quick. Some fans thought Sorensen and Kemdawg were holes early in their Carver careers so it makes sense for Young/Lugo to get some flack.

If 90% of refs would call it that way, wouldn’t that imply that it’s the correct call?

Young is nothing like Meyer. He didn't look comfortable last night but the comparison is way off. He is usually very quick. Some fans thought Sorensen and Kemdawg were holes early in their Carver careers so it makes sense for Young/Lugo to get some flack.

You and I have very different perceptions of “quick” ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT