ADVERTISEMENT

Princeton Grades

I thought over all it was a very solid performance by the HAWKS. Have to remember it is a very young team, early in season, many making first start at Carver, and from my view everyone Wrestled tough!

Also have to give some credit to Princeton! That team was better then I had anticipated and they showed up to Wrestle! Each kid on their team looked the part of the weight class they competed in too. So good for them and better for us.

Obviously the biggest concern is getting our best line up on the mat! Without hearing too much information as always when it comes to injuries, I do not like what some have posted about KemDawg!!!!

Reactions: Kwoodhawk
We can bump this up in a few weeks. Young is one of the quicker guys on the team.
Lol, maybe Daryl Weber is a better comparison. Here is how I would list in order of quickness:
1) Lee
2) Desanto
3) Murin
4) Bull
5) Kem
6) Lugo
7) Wilcke
8) Young
9) Warner
10) Stoll

I could switch a couple of things around in the top 7, but Young is an 8 for me. And I’m actually thinking Warner is quicker, but I gave Young the benefit of the doubt being 40 pounds lighter.

Last edited:
I agree with the assessment of a solid performance. I told people going into the dual that Princeton was better than most expected. I think Lugo can win that match next time. I liked his pace as the match went on. People act surprised about Glory, but Glory just beat Schroader from Purdue 9-0 last week in the finals of the Princeton Open and Schroader lost to Rivera of Northwestern last year at Midlands 2-1. He's a solid wrestler and Glory hammered him and came into to Carver at 4-0. The fact that Lee had him down 14-0 in 2 minutes blows me away. I also liked that Lee beat Glory in two positions that Glory is known for and that's creating scrambling positions and not once, but twice and the second scramble was nice work.

DeSanto is still adjusting to the weight and will get stronger each week and Max is going to improve and be a force by year end. This is a team that could have 8-10 All-Americans. I'm not saying we get to 10 All Americans, but these guys can all be in the hunt. It's a good team, I look forward to seeing all of the starters on the mat. I hope our fans come out and support the guys as they move forward. So many of the wrestlers have talked about how much they have looked forward to Carver, I hope we can deliver, although we don't have a Penn State or Ohio State on the schedule.

After hearing about yesterday’s match I was going to make a joke that Spencer has to be sick if he was wrestling period two.

Then I watched the match. Glory made Spencer earn all of it. It’s hard to say I was impressed with a kid who got Tech’d, but glory Found a way to be impressive in a one sided loss. That kid wrestled tough against a guy who all of wrestling knows is one of a kind. I was impressed and I’m glad to see a lot of you were too. Makes me think I’m only half crazy.

Like reading the grades...one grade I’ll give out is a B for fan support. We have to pack that place! If we can’t do it then tarp off the sides. Looks horrible on TV. Have the tarp show all our titles and AAs.

Others can’t match us in attendance but the arenas look better from a fan perspective.

I thought most wrestled well but disappointed most that we gave up TDs and escapes at the very end of the period.

I agreed Lugo didnt have NF but was close and Glory is going to be good.

In the way that Kem can shoot in on a leg and hold on even thought he is flat on his belly, Lugo can't seem to do that. Several times he let go with one hand to use as a base and lost the scoring chance.

For as much as Young supposedly cuts he didnt look like the bigger guy.
Like reading the grades...one grade I’ll give out is a B for fan support. We have to pack that place! If we can’t do it then tarp off the sides. Looks horrible on TV. Have the tarp show all our titles and AAs.

Others can’t match us in attendance but the arenas look better from a fan perspective.

Tarps don't make anything look better. They just look like empty seats covered by tarps. Waste of time, money and effort to cover them.

We drew 7900 for an early season dual against a meh opponent with several stars out of the lineup. That's a good thing, not a bad one.

Reactions: Chuck C
Tarps don't make anything look better. They just look like empty seats covered by tarps. Waste of time, money and effort to cover them.

We drew 7900 for an early season dual against a meh opponent with several stars out of the lineup. That's a good thing, not a bad one.

Jesus. 7900 people?! What’s capacity of that place?

Results:
125 -- #1 Spencer Lee (IA) tech. fall Patrick Glory (P), 18-2; 5-0
133 -- #11 Austin DeSanto (IA) pinned Jonathan Gomez (P), 3:27, 11-0
141 -- #14 Max Murin (IA) pinned Marshall Keller (P), 4:23; 17-0
149 -- #1 Matthew Kolodzik (P) dec. #12 Pat Lugo (IA), 7-4; 16-3*
157 -- #13 Kaleb Young (IA) dec. Quincy Monday (P), 7-4; 19-3
165 -- #4 Alex Marinelli (IA) pinned Dale Tiongson (P), 3:58; 25-3
174 -- Travis Stefanik (P) major dec. Myles Wilson (IA), 15-3; 25-7
184 -- #12 Cash Wilcke (IA) dec. Kevin Parker (P), 8-3; 28-7
197 -- #7 Patrick Brucki (P) dec. Connor Corbin, 10-3; 28-10
285 -- Aaron Costello (IA) dec. Obinna Ajah (P), 6-0; 31-10
Records: Iowa (3-0), Princeton (0-1)
*Iowa was deducted one team point following the 149-pound match
Attendance: 7,940

Some of the 7940 may have been disguised as empty seats. I was disappointed in the crowd. DeSanto and esp. Murin were pumped up by the crowd and I wish it had been larger. Some of yuse need to evaluate your personal lives and make some cuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight563 and MSeil
7940 is paid attendance...my daughter and her friends attend Iowa and they are free with their id.
Plus remember there was also the finals being shown of the empire classic with Ia vs Uconn...sure some fans skipped the meet due to the game.
Also they have added a new lounge type seating at the top which is going to make it Interesting.
Chuck Yagla also put a challenge out there to maintain the attendance record.

How soon do you all think til we get our full lineup out? Good dual been awhile since ive seen the Hawks live at home

Re: Lugo. yes, he needs to finish on leg attempts, but Kolodzik is freakishly strong and has really good hips.

Results:
125 -- #1 Spencer Lee (IA) tech. fall Patrick Glory (P), 18-2; 5-0
133 -- #11 Austin DeSanto (IA) pinned Jonathan Gomez (P), 3:27, 11-0
141 -- #14 Max Murin (IA) pinned Marshall Keller (P), 4:23; 17-0
149 -- #1 Matthew Kolodzik (P) dec. #12 Pat Lugo (IA), 7-4; 16-3*
157 -- #13 Kaleb Young (IA) dec. Quincy Monday (P), 7-4; 19-3
165 -- #4 Alex Marinelli (IA) pinned Dale Tiongson (P), 3:58; 25-3
174 -- Travis Stefanik (P) major dec. Myles Wilson (IA), 15-3; 25-7
184 -- #12 Cash Wilcke (IA) dec. Kevin Parker (P), 8-3; 28-7
197 -- #7 Patrick Brucki (P) dec. Connor Corbin, 10-3; 28-10
285 -- Aaron Costello (IA) dec. Obinna Ajah (P), 6-0; 31-10
Records: Iowa (3-0), Princeton (0-1)
*Iowa was deducted one team point following the 149-pound match
Attendance: 7,940

Somewhat of an unbiased opinion. Whatched every match. Really solid, dominating performance at less than full strength. OSU might stay interesting until the upper weights, otherwise your going to be on cruise control the whole year

Reactions: Coach Mac B
I know we were missing three of our studs, but I was not inspired by what I saw last night. Each year I'm waiting for next year...and I think this year is going to be much the same. I love our fellas, but the only possible NCAA champion I see so far is Spencer. He's a lock, we might have one other possible NCAA champ (Stoll), some strong AAs, and then a whole lot of nothing watching studs who have the ability to achieve greatness (Wilcke, Young, Lugo), not living up to their hype. I sure hope I'm wrong, but I just don't think so. Guess we'll have a better idea after Iowa State and Lehigh come to CHA.

125 -- Spencer Lee - A: Good win against a game opponent.
133 -- Austin DeSanto - A: a little sluggish early but took care of business..
141 -- Max Murin - B
149 --Pat Lugo - B: Good effort to the bitter end.
157 -- Kaleb Young - D: I can easily see zero points at NCAAs at this weight . He doesn't look any better this year than last year..and I "was" hoping he'd be our guy.
165 -- Alex Marinelli - A: Love his style.
174 -- Myles Wilson - D or F: I'm sure he's a good kid, but that was ugly.
184 -- Cash Wilcke - D: Less weight, same Cash. Same confidence level for points at NCAAs as I have for 157...not pretty.
197 -- Connor Corbin - C: Good effort.
285 -- Aaron Costello - C: Good win against a weak opponent.

Spencer- A that was probably the most competitive TF I’ve ever seen. Glory was game and rode Spencer hard and good scrambles.

Desanchise- A+ coming hard all first period then reversal to back right away in the second.

Murin- A+ unless Murin gets dinged up we will not see Turk in a dual meet. Max looked slick and strong

Lugo- B Lugo didn’t need the stoppages. He looked stronger at the end of the match. He was in on more shots just needed to finish. Those back points would’ve been big.

Young- C+ Young got out athleted in this match. He was walking into shots and really didn’t take many himself. Gutted out the win. For mid November I’ll take it.

Bull- A+ what else to say

Wilson- D+ Pumping brakes time. I thought Wilson looked really good last week and in wrestleoffs but man he was outmatched tonight.

Wilcke- B+ vintage Wilcke not doing a whole hell of a lot. Almost gave up 2 late then got a garbage time td.

Corbin- C Corbin just outmatched but fought hard and kept it to dec.

Costello- A looked like Stoll out there. Going upper body getting stalls on pushout. Hard ride. Looking for fall. Would’ve liked to have seen the major or fall but Costello looked great.

B+ for Wilcke and C+ for Young? We must have been watching a different dual. Both are ranked relatively high and both wrestled lesser opponents and looked ugly doing so. Not sure how you can give those grades. Wilcke was painful to watch, and Young wasn't much better...perhaps worse. Just not what I expected from either of them. I'm sure they worked their asses off during the off-season, but nothing has changed. I predict very few if any points from these two at NCAAs. Can easily see them both going 0-2 or 1-2, if they don't get it together and start showing some fcking aggressiveness. Ugh!!

B+ for Wilcke and C+ for Young? We must have been watching a different dual. Both are ranked relatively high and both wrestled lesser opponents and looked ugly doing so. Not sure how you can give those grades. Wilcke was painful to watch, and Young wasn't much better...perhaps worse. Just not what I expected from either of them. I'm sure they worked their asses off during the off-season, but nothing has changed. I predict very few if any points from these two at NCAAs. Can easily see them both going 0-2 or 1-2, if they don't get it together and start showing some fcking aggressiveness. Ugh!!
Lay off the sauce man. You have way too high expectations. I don’t expect much of Wilcke so not surprised when he isn’t active. We have no idea how good Young’s opponent is. He’s a freshman, was a top 40 pfp recruit with obvious good genes. He may very well be ranked by the end of the year. We don’t know right now. Maybe just a stylistic matchup that’s bad for Young. We don’t know that either since we haven’t seen him much before. Take a wait and see. Also what does Murin have to do for you? He was only on his way to a major before getting a second period fall. And Costello going 6-0 as a 3rd string heavy as a C? Probably shouldn’t post after midnight

Lay off the sauce man. You have way too high expectations. I don’t expect much of Wilcke so not surprised when he isn’t active. We have no idea how good Young’s opponent is. He’s a freshman, was a top 40 pfp recruit with obvious good genes. He may very well be ranked by the end of the year. We don’t know right now. Maybe just a stylistic matchup that’s bad for Young. We don’t know that either since we haven’t seen him much before. Take a wait and see. Also what does Murin have to do for you? He was only on his way to a major before getting a second period fall. And Costello going 6-0 as a 3rd string heavy as a C? Probably shouldn’t post after midnight

Brother: There's no sauce involved. I was just really hopeful that our Young and Wilcke would be better than what we had, and especially after I read several posts about how Wilcke is so much more active at the lighter weight..and well, I just didn't see it. As for Murin, I think he did exactly what was expected, which is why I gave him a B. If he looks the same against a better opponent than I'll adjust my score accordingly. I don't want to blow sunshine in hopes that everyone will feel better about the team...I want everyone to feel better about the team because our men are going out there and attacking their opponents like there's no tomorrow. I wasn't trying to be critical, just being real based on what I saw during this particular dual.

Reactions: UndercoverHawk
Didn't see any of the match, and sorry if i missed it already in the boards- what was the team point deduction for after (during) the Lugo match?

Seeing mixed reviews on Lugo's performance - has anyone's season expectation changed for him? (My uneducated self could still see him ending up in finals, or worst case drawing bad match ups and bowing out in blood round- though I would bet on him AAing)

Didn't see any of the match, and sorry if i missed it already in the boards- what was the team point deduction for after (during) the Lugo match?

Seeing mixed reviews on Lugo's performance - has anyone's season expectation changed for him? (My uneducated self could still see him ending up in finals, or worst case drawing bad match ups and bowing out in blood round- though I would bet on him AAing)

My limited impression of Lugo as a hawk is that he needs to unhitch the plow.

Lugo will be fine, he was right in the match with the #1 ranked guy in the country in his Carver debut. Sorensen lost to Kolodzik last year 7-3 for comparison.

Reactions: JustWrestle133
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT