ADVERTISEMENT

Problem solving

Finance85

HR Legend
Oct 22, 2003
When I went to graduate school, I was lucky to get a professor who taught me how to think rather than just focusing on the outcome of Harvard Business School case studies. The emphasis was on peeling back the onion to solve the actual underlying problem rather than simply treating symptoms. We as a country seem to favor wanting laws to treat symptoms, and we vote for politicians that want to make laws to treat symptoms.

We have wars on drugs and poverty. Our solution for both over the last 50+ years has been to throw money at both. We've done very little to solve the underlying problems.

We have mass shootings, and the proposed solution always seems to be gun control. A gun is an inanimate object. There are an estimated 400 million guns in the US. The number of legally possessed guns used in mass shootings is incredibly tiny, and we already have laws against murder, and against felons possessing guns. The underlying problem isn't guns, it's people who want to kill other people.

We have illegal aliens flooding across the southern border. The immediate response by some is immigration reform. What, exactly would that accomplish? We would still have the same problem, just on a bigger scale. We already have immigration laws that aren't being enforced. The problem isn't existing laws, it's enforcement of those laws. Want to add work permits, expand green cards, expand quotas? OK, that's fine, but that doesn't solve people crossing the border illegally, it just changes the number.

Everything has become incredibly political. Intelligent people get sucked into how to win the political argument rather than coming up with solutions that actually solve problems. Intelligent people get sucked into how to defend treatments based on party lines rather than peeling back the onion another layer.

I get criticized a lot by people on both sides of the political spectrum here. I'm fine with that. I'm not going to follow the crowd, and I'm going to think for myself. Sometimes I'll be wrong, and I'll look inside, and admit it. I'll try to base my views and decisions based on facts, and if the facts change or new facts come to light, my opinion my might change too.

Peace, everyone.

When I went to graduate school, I was lucky to get a professor who taught me how to think rather than just focusing on the outcome of Harvard Business School case studies. The emphasis was on peeling back the onion to solve the actual underlying problem rather than simply treating symptoms. We as a country seem to favor wanting laws to treat symptoms, and we vote for politicians that want to make laws to treat symptoms.

We have wars on drugs and poverty. Our solution for both over the last 50+ years has been to throw money at both. We've done very little to solve the underlying problems.

We have mass shootings, and the proposed solution always seems to be gun control. A gun is an inanimate object. There are an estimated 400 million guns in the US. The number of legally possessed guns used in mass shootings is incredibly tiny, and we already have laws against murder, and against felons possessing guns. The underlying problem isn't guns, it's people who want to kill other people.

We have illegal aliens flooding across the southern border. The immediate response by some is immigration reform. What, exactly would that accomplish? We would still have the same problem, just on a bigger scale. We already have immigration laws that aren't being enforced. The problem isn't existing laws, it's enforcement of those laws. Want to add work permits, expand green cards, expand quotas? OK, that's fine, but that doesn't solve people crossing the border illegally, it just changes the number.

Everything has become incredibly political. Intelligent people get sucked into how to win the political argument rather than coming up with solutions that actually solve problems. Intelligent people get sucked into how to defend treatments based on party lines rather than peeling back the onion another layer.

I get criticized a lot by people on both sides of the political spectrum here. I'm fine with that. I'm not going to follow the crowd, and I'm going to think for myself. Sometimes I'll be wrong, and I'll look inside, and admit it. I'll try to base my views and decisions based on facts, and if the facts change or new facts come to light, my opinion my might change too.

Peace, everyone.

That's a lot of broad brush, widely parroted talking points for a free thinker.

Your statement is that you have developed problem solving skills others don't and your example is that US gun violence isn't tied to the insane number of guns? Ok.
...and he's correct on that point. We've had more guns than adult population since...forever, but the violence is culture and mostly drug related...

Your statement is that you have developed problem solving skills others don't and your example is that US gun violence isn't tied to the insane number of guns? Ok.
I never said that. You are restating what I said to take on another meaning. You be you, Belem.

...and he's correct on that point. We've had more guns than adult population since...forever, but the violence is culture and mostly drug related...
Yes, we are unique in the first world with a culture problem - it's not that we have more guns than all the other first world countries combined.
It's amazing the lies you all will tell yourselves in order to keep your murder toys.

US politics are the ultimate spectator sport, and the vast number of people have chosen their favorite team. They'll support their team no matter what.
I see a lot of fault in both teams. I see issues with not enforcing our immigration laws, I also see the lost opportunities in not allowing immigrants come here to fill the massive shortages in workers.
I'm pro 2A but would support an effort to repeal it.

Girl Talk had two bomb albums with Feed the Animals and All Day.

He still had killer DJ sets but stopped releasing them as new albums. What happened?

Go grab your case study to identify a root cause, put together a business plan to address it, and tell me what you bonus looks like at the end of the year vs putting a bandaid on it. Politicians are a microcosm of that with a whole lot of corruption mixed in.

Peace, everyone.

Logic appears at many levels. Immigration is an issue if solved would eliminate a weapon the right wing desperately needs. Does the right want to focus on losing issues like abortion or fruitcake candidates?

Problem is pushing too hard typically backfires, ala abortion. The Martha's Vineyard fiasco may blow up in DieSantis's face with the Cuban voters. A similar dynamic of the Cuban migration may just catch on and with him and show his true colors. Extremism is extreme.

Has the number of hammers grown by "XXX"% with a proportionate growth of hammer deaths?

Prove your point. We can prove ours.
Good research project actually. We have always been a nation with a ton of guns. I’m curious what the relationship has been historically with the number of guns vs the death rate.

I promise you there is a spike in deaths around the internet age.

The number of legally possessed guns used in mass shootings is incredibly tiny, and we already have laws against murder, and against felons possessing guns.

This statement might be true for gang on gang shootings in cities. But in the case of public shootings such as school shootings, guns are legally purchased. And as far as gun control, we haven't had gun control since the 2004 when it did work. An 18-year-old wouldn't have been able to purchase an AR-15 in 2000. Let alone off the freaken internet.

Gun homicides in 2020, US vs Canada:

USA: 19,350, 320m pop. (6.04 per 100k)
CA: 277, 38m pop. (.72 per 100k)

Guns per capita in US is approx 4x higher than Canada.

You figure then that the US's per capita rate would be around 4x if it was just gun quantity... but it's 8x, double what you might expect.

That's not terribly considered analysis... but does point to contributions besides raw gun quantity.

Add to that... raw gun count per capita doesn't take into account the fact that many guns might be owned per person. Households with a gun might be a better number. (of course you have illegally acquired guns... and you could start worrying about gun type... nevertheless...)

Transformative power is most often held in idle by elites. Why transform a landscape on which you hold the high ground? Government is largely a venue for slow walking of the seemingly intractable political arguments the OP mentioned. We live in a Libertarian Utopia, it’s just hard to see it because we’re not the first class citizens.

Good research project actually. We have always been a nation with a ton of guns. I’m curious what the relationship has been historically with the number of guns vs the death rate.

I promise you there is a spike in deaths around the internet age.
The spike in gun deaths started after the assault weapon ban was not renewed.

Reactions: gohawks50
So if we handed out hammers, we would get more houses then?
Since it takes more than a hammer and a nail to build a house I would say no. On the other hand an individual with a gun and a bullet can kill.

Since it takes more than a hammer and a nail to build a house I would say no. On the other hand an individual with a gun and a bullet can kill.
But both take the individual. neither the hammer, nor the gun can do anything.
Both side are guilty of what the OP is saying. Guns and immigration are two really good examples of this.

But both take the individual. neither the hammer, nor the gun can do anything.
Both side are guilty of what the OP is saying. Guns and immigration are two really good examples of this.
A person with a hammer and nail does not have all the materials necessary to build a house, but a person with a gun and a bullet has all the tools necessary to kill.

Reactions: BelemNole
If everyone walked around all day with hammers, I guarantee you that a shit ton of people would be getting hit by hammers lol. And don’t give me any of that “good guy with a hammer” crap.
Would it be because the hammers are making them hot people or that people have mental issues?

A person with a hammer and nail does not have all the materials necessary to build a house, but a person with a gun and a bullet has all the tools necessary to kill.
But to the point of the OP, a million hammers and a million guns will do nothing. The root of the issue is a troubled person.

This thread is not a gun control debate, it is a problem solving debate. Mass shootings was one example listed, you seem to want to latch on to that. I already posted that I would support your efforts to repeal the 2nd so we could approach the mass shooting from that direction too. We would still need to solve the troubled person portion, 400,000,000 guns will not go away in our lifetimes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT