ADVERTISEMENT

Projected Starters Week 1.

That's anecdotal though. VanValkenberg played 109 snaps, Evans played 89 and Waggoner played 86.

That's typically pretty telling who the coaches trust more. Evans' 89 snaps even mainly came in the back half of the season since Amani Jones started the season in that pace rush package and had 50 snaps.

Waggoner very well could surpass VanValkenberg. Maybe Lee even wins the spot or Evans is able to improve enough on run D that he does.

Knowing what we know now, I'd have to give the nod to VanValkenberg.
Agree to disagree.

Absolutely. I wonder if DeJong might be ready. The coaches were fast tracking him last year. I guess Banwart would be the major candidate, if healthy, if God forbid Tyler has a problem.
What about Britt? Why do I feel like he played some in high school...? Maybe I’m wrong.

#57 Chauncey Golston is missing from the projected starters. Since he started last year, I would expect to see him at #1 left defensive end. And who is Gholston? I can't find him on the roster.

I think Niemann is primed for a big year. Colbert as well, if you remember played most of last year with a bad shoulder injury, (which we didn't hear about until after the season). He had it repaired after the bowl game, and he should be ready as well.....
Colbert is not playing 😫

QB: Petras
RB: Tgood
FB: Pallisard
TE: LaPorta
WR: ISM
WR: Smith
LT: Jackson
LG: Britt/Kallenberger
C: BaumSquad
RG: Schott/Kallenberger
RT: Cronk
LE: Gholston
DT: Nixon
DT: Heflin
RE: Waggoner
WLB: Colbert
MLB: Niemann
Cash: Belton
CB: Hankins
CB: Brents
SS: Merriwether
FS: Keorner
K: Duncan
P: Gersonde
PR: Cooper
KR: ISM
Definitely B1G Championship game potential.

I remember hearing some noise in the spring about Cronk moving to guard and Kallenberger to tackle. Maybe that got shelved with the coronavirus, though--just have guys stay where they've had experience in the past.

I think Cronk and Heflin are going to be huge pick ups for the team. They might not end up being ALL BIG10 but they are going to provide super solid play and leadership at those spots that we needed to bridge the gap with younger guys.

The only real concern for me is QB play. Not that I am concerned but I think that is going to be the difference between a 9-0 and a 6-3 type run.
I think Cronk will end up being ALL B1G, and I can think of ten million reasons ($) why ~ Helfin not so much.

Why wouldn’t you be upset? Colbert has been pretty good.

there has been some talk that he was going to opt out if they went ahead with the original schedule. I would imagine he and any others who were considering it will re-examine things. He'll be supported either way.

Well MAYBE, but we probably need to see what Petras has when the bullets are flying, don't you think? I mean we all have high hopes but no one knows what he'll do in a BIG game against a top ten level defense. I think we'll be fine on defense, and place kicker. Punter will most like not be Gersonde as someone mentioned but the Aussie, Taylor? He's never actually punted in a real football game either, so that will be something to watch as well.....
Maybe this will be like what Coach Fry use to say. We don't plan on punting. This team doesn't plan on letting anyone get to Petras, so he won't have any flying bullets or pressure:cool:

He was one of the best players on the defense last year. That’s pretty damn good when you are a top player on KF’s best defense ever.
No he was not. He’s way too big and slow. He gets exposed in pass game repeatedly, not saying he’s bad. Just at the bottom of the list for sure.

There’s a lot of potential in the defense backfield, but I’m curious as to how much QB pressure we get and how that might play out in our coverage.

Cronk’s high school coach was quoted as saying he liked Iowa because it gave him a chance to play at guard where he hopes to play at the next level. That may have changed with Wirfs gone, but it could be an interesting twist.

I like our potential, but we’ve got a lot to prove. The schedule is better now IMO, but there’s no time to get ready and I’m not sure we’re close enough to a finished product at this point. 6-2 would be a good result.

Is this official? I haven’t seen anything. I wouldn’t be too upset, but still would be nice to have.
It has not been announced officially, but a little birdie told me and my birdie has never been wrong when it comes to Colbert. I was hoping for a big year from him. Started every game last year playing with a torn Labrum and performed pretty well.

That would make for one big guard. Cronk is like 6-6 315 or something like that I think.

From what I remember, the talk was that Cronk was projected to guard in the NFL and that was why there was talk of a switch. I know, seems huge for a guard in college, but I'm not that familiar with the size of NFL guards any more. Maybe they're trending to be taller than they used to be? I don't know.

From what I remember, the talk was that Cronk was projected to guard in the NFL and that was why there was talk of a switch. I know, seems huge for a guard in college, but I'm not that familiar with the size of NFL guards any more. Maybe they're trending to be taller than they used to be? I don't know.
Probably not much of a problem when your QB is 6'5" like Petras. Now if you have a Drew Tate back there it could cause some visibility issues if he had to throw from the pocket. Throwing from the right side with a 6'5 guard and someone like Plumb at 6'7" or so could be problematic for a smaller QB.

Reactions: Eternal Return
Probably not much of a problem when your QB is 6'5" like Petras. Now if you have a Drew Tate back there it could cause some visibility issues if he had to throw from the pocket. Throwing from the right side with a 6'5 guard and someone like Plumb at 6'7" or so could be problematic for a smaller QB.

Yeah, from all indications that's been the issue for Baker Mayfield in the NFL. On Thursday night's game, they did a lot of play-action bootlegs with Mayfield rolling out of the pocket to get a clear view of the field. Of course, that only works when the running game is lighting it up (the Browns rushed for over 200 yards so that made it work). Like you said, we have Petras so that shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, from all indications that's been the issue for Baker Mayfield in the NFL. On Thursday night's game, they did a lot of play-action bootlegs with Mayfield rolling out of the pocket to get a clear view of the field. Of course, that only works when the running game is lighting it up (the Browns rushed for over 200 yards so that made it work). Like you said, we have Petras so that shouldn't be an issue.
Its just another thing the coaches look at recruiting as well. People wonder why Iowa seems to lean toward taller QB's like Stanley, Petras, even Ricky S when he was here. It gives us more flexibility with some of the taller OL we've been getting at both guard and tackle. Now if you have a very mobile QB like Tate that helps with him rolling out, but you can't do that all the time. If the defense concentrates on keeping everything inside and forces him to throw from the tunnel in the pocket, it can make it rough for him, or force him to drop back farther.

Colbert's best football is ahead of him. He has been solid but he was a Fr and Soph. If you look at guys like Hitchens and Kirksey Morris they were the same when they were younger. Once they became jr an srs though they really excelled. I haven't seen any picks of Colbert, but then again I haven't seen many LBs at all. I think I have seen Niemann and Jacobs and that is it. Also haven't seen Deuce.

Colbert's best football is ahead of him. He has been solid but he was a Fr and Soph. If you look at guys like Hitchens and Kirksey Morris they were the same when they were younger. Once they became jr an srs though they really excelled. I haven't seen any picks of Colbert, but then again I haven't seen many LBs at all. I think I have seen Niemann and Jacobs and that is it. Also haven't seen Deuce.
I don't believe Colbert is practicing or playing.

ADVERTISEMENT