CB: Hankins
CB: Brents
SS: Merriwether
FS: Keorner
K: Duncan
P: Gersonde
PR: Cooper
KR: ISM

I truly think this is going to be one of the best secondary’s in college football. You have 3 proven CB’s in Hankins, Brents, and Moss to go with Keorner and Merriwether at Safety. Then with Brents at the CASH you have a dynamic CB/S/LB all rolled into one. All you need is decent LB and DL play, and this defense could potentially be better then last years.

I truly think this is going to be one of the best secondary’s in college football. You have 3 proven CB’s in Hankins, Brents, and Moss to go with Keorner and Merriwether at Safety. Then with Brents at the CASH you have a dynamic CB/S/LB all rolled into one. All you need is decent LB and DL play, and this defense could potentially be better then last years.
[/QUOTE

proven enough to win the games they should and not skilled enough to win the toss ups.

Brents is a future star. It was too bad he battle injuries last year.

QB: Petras
RB: Tgood
FB: Pallisard
TE: LaPorta
WR: ISM
WR: Smith
LT: Jackson
LG: Britt/Kallenberger
C: BaumSquad
RG: Schott/Kallenberger
RT: Cronk
LE: Gholston
DT: Nixon
DT: Heflin
RE: Waggoner
WLB: Colbert
MLB: Niemann
Cash: Belton

Looks great to me!

Lots of potential. Wish these guys had gotten the chance to actually practice and develop normally this preseason. I know every team is in that boat but would really love to see just how good this squad could be with proper prep.

9-0 playing in the playoff. Top 3 offense in the BIG with a top 10 Defense in the nation.
Well MAYBE, but we probably need to see what Petras has when the bullets are flying, don't you think? I mean we all have high hopes but no one knows what he'll do in a BIG game against a top ten level defense. I think we'll be fine on defense, and place kicker. Punter will most like not be Gersonde as someone mentioned but the Aussie, Taylor? He's never actually punted in a real football game either, so that will be something to watch as well.....

Reactions: MikeT2425
Everyone is projecting J Keorner as a starter, but how is his recovery coming from the accident? Is he full go in practice?

Well MAYBE, but we probably need to see what Petras has when the bullets are flying, don't you think? I mean we all have high hopes but no one knows what he'll do in a BIG game against a top ten level defense. I think we'll be fine on defense, and place kicker. Punter will most like not be Gersonde as someone mentioned but the Aussie, Taylor? He's never actually punted in a real football game either, so that will be something to watch as well.....
He can sling it

Him and Moss are both real good. I think Moss doesn’t get the respect he deserves.
He does have some wheels that allow him to correct miscues. He was picked on his freshman year, which resulted in quite a few big plays. Yet, I’d be surprised if he isn’t primed for a very solid year. If they can stay healthy, the secondary looks good. If the D can get pressure with the front four or with a LB blitz from time to time, they should be stout.

My concern for the secondary is consistency. Who will fill in for Stone as that physical presence in the back 7?

I know our DBs have the talent, but staying consistent in coverage (and obviously forcing TOs) is the key to making this defensive unit complete.

My main concern though on D is at the LB spot. Right now to me, they're just guys back there. Can they take the next step this year?

I think the only two questions on offense are interior OL play (hopefully it doesn't take until the end of the season to finally gel and not let Petras get murdered on live television, like we saw a few times last year with Stanley)....and the big question: Who Petras?..........

My concern for the secondary is consistency. Who will fill in for Stone as that physical presence in the back 7?

I know our DBs have the talent, but staying consistent in coverage (and obviously forcing TOs) is the key to making this defensive unit complete.

My main concern though on D is at the LB spot. Right now to me, they're just guys back there. Can they take the next step this year?

I think the only two questions on offense are interior OL play (hopefully it doesn't take until the end of the season to finally gel and not let Petras get murdered on live television, like we saw a few times last year with Stanley)....and the big question: Who Petras?..........
Fair questions. I think Keorner will be the physical DB this year. He consistently was in on tackles last year and made several big hits too. I think Colbert and Niemann will have strong years. Colbert has been very good and just needs to take that next step to solidify himself as a top Big Ten and national linebacker.

The interior ol should be ok with all the options they have. Lack of experience is not an issue now. Kallenberger's performance in the bowl makes me feel better. I worry about depth at center and tackle.

The interior ol should be ok with all the options they have. Lack of experience is not an issue now. Kallenberger's performance in the bowl makes me feel better. I worry about depth at center and tackle.
Cronk was a huge pickup for us at tackle. Now we can work some young guys in slowly to build confidence and hopefully one or two could be ready in the event a starter goes down. Center is pretty thin still.

Last edited:
If Linderbaum goes down, I’m scared for what happens.
Yeah, it wouldn't be great, but with the young talent we have I wouldn't necessarily be scared. Probably struggle early on, similar to how our guards did last year, but should see solid improvement and be serviceable at worst.

QB Petras
RB Goodson-
WR Smith
WR Smith Marsette
WR Ragaini/Tracy
TE LaPorta- Beyer
LT Jackson
LG Kallenberger
C Linderbaum
RG Schott
RT Cronk

DE- Golston
DT Nixon
DT Heflin/Schulte
DE Vanvalkenburg
LB Niemann
LB Colbert
Cash Belton
CB Brents/Moss
CB Hankins
S Koerner
S Merriweather

I think Cronk and Heflin are going to be huge pick ups for the team. They might not end up being ALL BIG10 but they are going to provide super solid play and leadership at those spots that we needed to bridge the gap with younger guys.

The only real concern for me is QB play. Not that I am concerned but I think that is going to be the difference between a 9-0 and a 6-3 type run.

There is some chatter that Colbert may opt out.

Didn’t Nixon also say he was for not playing the season due to C-19 earlier this year?

I’d think those guys would opt to play due to the rapid testing and the fact they are in a more controlled environment with daily testing inside the football program compared to being outside the program where you would be more likely to get the virus if out and about with the general public. With the poors of the student population compared to the football program treatment.

Didn’t Nixon also say he was for not playing the season due to C-19 earlier this year?

I’d think those guys would opt to play due to the rapid testing and the fact they are in a more controlled environment with daily testing inside the football program compared to being outside the program where you would be more likely to get the virus if out and about with the general public. With the poors of the student population compared to the football program treatment.
Nixon's recent tweets indicate he wants to play. That or he's super happy to hang out at the facility.

Cronk was a huge pickup for us at tackle. Now we can work some young guys in slowly to build confidence and hopefully one or two could be ready in the event a starter goes down. Center is pretty thin still.

Absolutely. I wonder if DeJong might be ready. The coaches were fast tracking him last year. I guess Banwart would be the major candidate, if healthy, if God forbid Tyler has a problem.

Seems about right.

As usual, we don't have the depth the blue bloods posses, but our guys on the top line should be able to compete across our schedule. Eliminating injuries usually isn't feasible, but if we can minimize them it should be a great year. Maybe a shortened schedule is slightly helpful in that regard.

QB Petras
RB Goodson-
WR Smith
WR Smith Marsette
WR Ragaini/Tracy
TE LaPorta- Beyer
LT Jackson
LG Kallenberger
C Linderbaum
RG Schott
RT Cronk

DE- Golston
DT Nixon
DT Heflin/Schulte
DE Vanvalkenburg
LB Niemann
LB Colbert
Cash Belton
CB Brents/Moss
CB Hankins
S Koerner
S Merriweather

Yes, this more accurate than the OP's in my opinion. I don't see Britt surpassing Kallenberger on day 1. Kallenberger has been solid and played well in the Holiday Bowl. Also might appear like Kirk is punishing a starter from last year because of his brother's issues.

Vanvalkenburg played more than Waggoner last year so I'm giving him the nod too. Too many looking at the recruiting ranking with Waggoner and not reading the tea leaves.

The only change I make is removing Colbert and replacing with Campbell if the rumors are correct.

Reactions: JStandefer
If healthy, I see C Banwart starting at Guard, for Hawkeyes.
Should be a good battle/competition for some interior spots and that should be a
Good thing.

#gohawks

Yes, this more accurate than the OP's in my opinion. I don't see Britt surpassing Kallenberger on day 1. Kallenberger has been solid and played well in the Holiday Bowl. Also might appear like Kirk is punishing a starter from last year because of his brother's issues.

Vanvalkenburg played more than Waggoner last year so I'm giving him the nod too. Too many looking at the recruiting ranking with Waggoner and not reading the tea leaves.

The only change I make is removing Colbert and replacing with Campbell if the rumors are correct.
When Waggoner played, I thought he looked better then VV.

When Waggoner played, I thought he looked better then VV.

That's anecdotal though. VanValkenberg played 109 snaps, Evans played 89 and Waggoner played 86.

That's typically pretty telling who the coaches trust more. Evans' 89 snaps even mainly came in the back half of the season since Amani Jones started the season in that pace rush package and had 50 snaps.

Waggoner very well could surpass VanValkenberg. Maybe Lee even wins the spot or Evans is able to improve enough on run D that he does.

Knowing what we know now, I'd have to give the nod to VanValkenberg.

The video on KCRG literally showed Nixon dancing on the way into the team meeting at the facility. I'd say 100% he is going to play.

I think Niemann is primed for a big year. Colbert as well, if you remember played most of last year with a bad shoulder injury, (which we didn't hear about until after the season). He had it repaired after the bowl game, and he should be ready as well.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT