ADVERTISEMENT

Projection: Iowa Recruiting class 2021 will end up ranked Top 15.

HawkNole09

HR MVP
Sep 20, 2009
We can now make the call that if Iowa takes a full compliment of 25 players this year to end the cycle they will break into the Top 15 and flirt with the Top 10.

The assumption is that: RB R. Parks, TE T. Fidone, TE J. Alt, OT R. Benny, C. M. Myslinkski, DE D. Hanson, LB J. Ratzlaft, S A. Wansley, ATH K. Edwards and ATH W.Lee round out this class (which is what the odds show at this point).

If that be the case, the rankings per class would be:

2016: 42
2017: 40
2018: 40
2019: 41
2020: 35
2021: Top 15 (Currently #6)
2022: t-4

This program is starting to erupt baby! I’ve long dreamt about what KF and staff could do with top 10-15 talent. I think it’ll be devastating. They’re starting to get the taste that they can go after great recruits anywhere in the region and even dipping into the southern states for extra talent. Real excited for these guy as they continue to chip away toward greatness.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
Not going to happen. Iowa will have a small class because they have very few departures and even if we take 24-25 like you say our average does not put Iowa at the top 10-15 range. Guessing Iowa will finish in the 25-30 range and would be extremely happy with anything better.

I think your nuts. Last year you needed either a 5 star or 9 4 star players to be in the top 20. Sorry that isn't happening. I will be happy with our top 25 recruiting class unless somewhere we unearth and steal a 5 star recruit.
Huskers were #20 last year with 24 commits and average star rating of 88.38. Iowa is at 88.04 so far this year.

I expect the 2021 recruiting class will do well with rankings/ratings/stars/etc and several of the current 3 star recruits may eventually bump up into the 4 star range. But...it's the type of players Iowa recruits that makes the Hawkeyes different than most other college programs. High integrity, hard working, well respected individuals who also have talent. These young men will be successful on and off the field.

Reactions: Torg
Not going to happen. Iowa will have a small class because they have very few departures and even if we take 24-25 like you say our average does not put Iowa at the top 10-15 range. Guessing Iowa will finish in the 25-30 range and would be extremely happy with anything better.

I think if they pick up Parks and Fidone this class can finish in the top 25. There are some 5.7 guys that could always be bumped to 4 star which might move them into top 20.

Reactions: StallmanCurse
I think if they pick up Parks and Fidone this class can finish in the top 25. There are some 5.7 guys that could always be bumped to 4 star which might move them into top 20.
This is my thought, as well. Fringe top 25 with Fidone and Parks. I don't see top 20 happening without a ratings explosion.

Not gonna happen. It will still be a great class no matter where the reruiting services rank us when it's done.

The best for Iowa in several years. Having such a strong in State group this year was very fortunate and with the early commits certainly gives the program a head start on 2022.

We can now make the call that if Iowa takes a full compliment of 25 players this year to end the cycle they will break into the Top 15 and flirt with the Top 10.

The assumption is that: RB R. Parks, TE T. Fidone, TE J. Alt, OT R. Benny, C. M. Myslinkski, DE D. Hanson, LB J. Ratzlaft, S A. Wansley, ATH K. Edwards and ATH W.Lee round out this class (which is what the odds show at this point).

This program is starting to erupt baby! I’ve long dreamt about what KF and staff could do with top 10-15 talent. I think it’ll be devastating. They’re starting to get the taste that they can go after great recruits anywhere in the region and even dipping into the southern states for extra talent. Real excited for these guy as they continue to chip away toward greatness.

I remember when Iowa's "eruption" occurred in 2005 with a highly touted recruiting class. Let's not get the cart ahead of the horse.

Iowa football will never be built on pure talent. Iowa is not a blue blood and never will be. The bottom line is you need guys hungry to come into the program to work. Guys who want to be the next Bob Sanders, or Dallas Clark, or Marshall Yanda, or Brandon Scherff, or Desmond King, or George Kittle, or Josey Jewell, or Josh Jackson, or Mike Daniels, or Micah Hyde, or TJ Hockensen, or Tristan Wirfs.

I don't care who you are or how many stars you have by your name. If you aren't here to work and do things the Iowa way, you might as well go to Nebraska, because you won't be successful here.

All of that said, I think you see the new energy assistants like Copeland have put into the program. And, regardless of anyone's feelings on "nepotism," Brian deserves a lot of credit for changing how the Iowa offense is viewed. Don't get me wrong, there is still quite a ways to go, but the offense is already night and day from the GDGD days of three yard out routes on 3rd and 4.

Reactions: naturalmwa
Quick everyone take notice of Hawknole's football intelligence level.
I love when posters do this, now everyone knows how much you don't know about.

Only the top 20 commits count for every school in the Rivals rankings.

Really doubt Iowa signs 25 unless there are a bunch of transfers this summer/fall. More like 20-22 signees like usual. Even to get to that, there needs to be the usual number of transfers this off-season.

Last edited:
In regards to Nebraska's class last year they had 10 4 star recruits, and netting their top 20 recruits for the class ranking they ended at 3.5 starts. At most I could see Iowa getting to 7 4 star recruits, that includes 2 more recruit commits (parks fidone) and 2 bump up in stars.

In regards to Nebraska's class last year they had 10 4 star recruits, and netting their top 20 recruits for the class ranking they ended at 3.5 starts. At most I could see Iowa getting to 7 4 star recruits, that includes 2 more recruit commits (parks fidone) and 2 bump up in stars.

Who cares.

Nebraska had a lot of "4 stars" when Riley was there. He couldn't do shit with them and neither has Frost.

Reactions: cleotishaywood

Guys like alt myslinkski etc can only hurt our ranking. Won't hurt the team though, so I don't really care where we finish. Get the kids we want and good enough for me.

Reactions: EKHawk
If Iowa gets the recruits that it goes after first and not fall backs I’m cool with whoever is is they bring in at this point. The overall talent level has definitely risen the last couple years and it’s starting to show on the field. The offense is looking more explosive and I have found myself not pulling my hair out as much on 3&2 when we used to just try to run it straight up the middle and get stopped at the line of scrimmage.

Who cares.

Nebraska had a lot of "4 stars" when Riley was there. He couldn't do shit with them and neither has Frost.

Yes reading comprehension is needed on this one. I could care less about Nebraska, the example was average stars and who was a top 20 recruiting class last year and what we would need to have a top 20, 25 recruiting class this year. The recruiting class as whole doesn't limit the success, however other than the 2005 recruiting class, when we have had better recruiting classes we have had better results on the field.

Yes reading comprehension is needed on this one. I could care less about Nebraska, the example was average stars and who was a top 20 recruiting class last year and what we would need to have a top 20, 25 recruiting class this year. The recruiting class as whole doesn't limit the success, however other than the 2005 recruiting class, when we have had better recruiting classes we have had better results on the field.

I couldn't care less.

That's cool you could.

Reactions: pacnorthhawkeye
Huskers were #20 last year with 24 commits and average star rating of 88.38. Iowa is at 88.04 so far this year.

Nebraska's class also had eleven 4* recruits in it. All Bensen is saying is that Iowa will need more four stars to finish in the top 10 or 15.

Found some old files from the previous version of Rivals and wanted to update these since the current site only goes back to 2002.

2015: 58
2014: 59
2013: 53
2012: 43
2011: 30
2010: 42
2009: 63
2008: 53
2007: 28
2006: 39
2005: 11
2004: 38
2003: 43
2002: 50
--
2001: 29
2000: 54

Quick everyone take notice of Hawknole's football intelligence level.
I love when posters do this, now everyone knows how much you don't know about.

Excuse my ignorance. I didn’t realize how the scores were tabulated.

But now I challenge your football knowledge. Where would you like to start?

It will be higher than 88.04 when TOS updates the rankings mid month. Llewellyn is getting a high 3 star bump.
Kind of my point. We aren’t off much from last years top 20 and when some guys get bumped and adding guys like Parks will help.

If Iowa gets the recruits that it goes after first and not fall backs I’m cool with whoever is is they bring in at this point. The overall talent level has definitely risen the last couple years and it’s starting to show on the field. The offense is looking more explosive and I have found myself not pulling my hair out as much on 3&2 when we used to just try to run it straight up the middle and get stopped at the line of scrimmage.

Totally agree with this. That is the difference with the last 2-4 recruiting classes compared to those before 5-8 years back. Iowa is offering - and getting - many of their first choices. We all know they recruit certain types of players and that culture and fit are a huge thing. That is why they typically have a lot less offers then other schools.

They aren't like Nebraska and just throwing an offer at every living soul that has 3,4, or 5 stars by their names. The fact that they are offering these guys and locking them up early is a great sign because one thing that has been proven about this staff is that they KNOW how to find players that fit their systems and that might be undervalued on a national level.

Though Iowa has a history of finding some gems at the last second on signing day or right before signing day over the years, there are plenty of examples where that did not work at and in the past, that led to some gaps on the team in depth and talent at certain position groups. That is likely to be less of a problem now that Iowa is locking in the majority of the recruits that they want and identify early.

ADVERTISEMENT