ADVERTISEMENT

Prom shotgun photos - funny or tacky?

BelemNole

HR Legend
Mar 29, 2002
Friends of mine just posted some photos of their daughter posting with her date and dad standing in the background with a shotgun - yuck, yuck, yuck.
Is this really funny to anyone?
When I say "friends" I mean she was a friend and she married this giant bag of tools.

Friends of mine just posted some photos of their daughter posting with her date and dad standing in the background with a shotgun - yuck, yuck, yuck.
Is this really funny to anyone?
When I say "friends" I mean she was a friend and she married this giant bag of tools.
I, for one, find toxic masculinity HIGH-LARRY-US.

So the joke is the father will murder the young man if he deems his behavior untoward?
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Terrible. . . treats the daughter like she is automatically virtuous and that she must be protected via implied threats of violence directed at a teenage boy.

I get wanting to protect your kid but there is just so much wrong with that. It assumes that your kid isn't going to want sex just because she's the girl and so that anything sexual that may happen is the fault of the boy.

And you are going to re-enforce this whole thing by implying violence against the boy.

Teenage girls like sex too and trying to prevent teenagers from having sex doesn't justify implying violence against one. Nor would the appropriate response to them actually having sex be actual violence.

Terrible. . . treats the daughter like she is automatically virtuous and that she must be protected via implied threats of violence directed at a teenage boy.

I get wanting to protect your kid but there is just so much wrong with that. It assumes that your kid isn't going to want sex just because she's the girl and so that anything sexual that may happen is the fault of the boy.

And you are going to re-enforce this whole thing by implying violence against the boy.

Teenage girls like sex too and trying to prevent teenagers from having sex doesn't justify implying violence against one. Nor would the appropriate response to them actually having sex be actual violence.
Please don't tell us you actually put thought into this, yea?
Same person who gets offended by comedians.

It's funny in a kitschy sense.

Reactions: Hondo_11
That's the type of thing I thought of when I started hearing about "dad jokes" rather than just bad puns. I figured a prom shotgun photo or ethnic jokes or fart jokes were probably "dad jokes."

cfba903b09c0208584505950b305c57f.jpg

Mq2OQzKUvvJ97ahhV6dYp0XjPcy-BKeN-dwa8UtBJjM.jpg

featured-img-of-post-184877.jpg

ce8c70f25ceedb06cee3b004756f3626.jpg

I didn't know this was a thing, but apparently it is. There are tons of these kinds of pictures.

I agree that it's super cringey.
You know how you know your joke is particularly clever?

When there are 100,000 other versions of it circulating on Facebook and Instagram.

Comedy. Gold.

3 shot at after-prom party
Associated Press
DES MOINES — Three Iowa teenagers were shot and injured after some uninvited guests showed up to an after-prom party.
Des Moines Police Sgt. Paul Parizek said about 200 people were at the party before the shooting was reported around 12:30 a.m. Sunday.
Two 18-year-old men and a 17-year-old girl were wounded in the shooting, but they are all expected to survive. All three were being treated at hospitals Sunday.
Parizek said the shooting happened during a fight that broke out after a group of uninvited guests arrived at the party, and several shots were fired.
No arrests were immediately reported and police did not identify the victims.

3 shot at after-prom party
Associated Press
DES MOINES — Three Iowa teenagers were shot and injured after some uninvited guests showed up to an after-prom party.
Des Moines Police Sgt. Paul Parizek said about 200 people were at the party before the shooting was reported around 12:30 a.m. Sunday.
Two 18-year-old men and a 17-year-old girl were wounded in the shooting, but they are all expected to survive. All three were being treated at hospitals Sunday.
Parizek said the shooting happened during a fight that broke out after a group of uninvited guests arrived at the party, and several shots were fired.
No arrests were immediately reported and police did not identify the victims.
I would guess dads with shotguns would be uninvited guests at an after-prom party.

I won't be staging one of these photos when my no pics daughter starts attending these things.

That said, I don't necessarily have a problem with them.

IT might have been funny 40 or 50 years ago. Not so much in this century.

ADVERTISEMENT