ADVERTISEMENT

Propaganda at its finest

Sharky1203

HR All-American
Silver Member
Sep 14, 2023
Extreme wave in Marshall Islands highlights dangers of climate change, experts say
The series of waves wreaked havoc on the island of Roi-Namur.

ByJulia Jacobo,Daniel Manzo andDaniel Peck
January 23, 2024, 4:58 PM ET
• 6 min read

Extreme wave slams into US Army base in South PacificThe Army says at least one third of the military island base at the Marshall Islands was flooded after a series of unpredicted giant waves.U.S. Army Garrison-Kwajalein Atoll
A series of extreme waves that wreaked havoc on a U.S. military base in the Marshall Islands could be indicative of more dangerous coastal behavior in the future, according to experts.

Flooding from the waves inundated one-third of the island of Roi-Namor, located in the Kwajalein Atoll in the northern Marshall Islands, according to the U.S. Army. The U.S. Army Garrison-Kwajalein Atoll base serves as a space and missile defense test range for the U.S. Department of Defense and contains some of the Army's most sophisticated tracking equipment.

MORE: System continues to bring rough surf to California
The waves did serious damage to several locations on the island, according to the U.S. Army. Ocean water had washed over the northwest side of the island. Standing water was found in several buildings on the base, such as the dining facility, the chapel and a theater, the Army said, citing an initial aerial damage assessment.

Joe Sienkiewicz, chief of the ocean applications branch for for NOAA’s Ocean Prediction Center, said this extreme wave was "much larger" than the average size of the waves hitting the island's shores.

"If there are multiple wave sets, then it's possible that the energy can just double in an area from two different sets of waves," Sienkiewicz told ABC News.

Erik Hanson
This still from a video shows the moment a wave ripped through a restaurant on Marshall Island, Jan. 21, 2024.
Erik Hanson

With extreme waves, the height of a particular wave could be twice as high as other waves in the background, Sienkiewicz said.

It appears that multiple waves caused the damage to the island.

MORE: Strong waves pound California coast, injuring at least 8

Cellphone video taken from the inside of a restaurant shows the force of a large wave forcing down the door of a restaurant on the Army base. Another wave is then seen rushing in, crashing through windows as patrons inside the restaurant attempt to take refuge on dining tables.

Sea level may have played a contributing factor into the severity of the waves and could cause them to occur more often in the future, Sienkiewicz said.

U.S. Army Garrison-Kwajalein Atoll
Kwajalein, Marshall Islands is seen from a plane, Jan. 21, 2024.
U.S. Army Garrison-Kwajalein Atoll

The Marshall Islands are considered at the very front lines of climate change, with research showing that rising sea levels contribute to powerful, destructive waves and more flooding in coastal areas as a result.

Several other factors, such as coastal topography, weather conditions and tide cycles, could have also played a role in the strength of the waves. Other causes could include a rapid change in the bathymetry, or the depth of the water, Sienkiewicz said.

MORE: Passengers on Antarctic cruise ship hit by deadly 'rogue wave' speak out
Eighty people were evacuated from Roi-Namor. Sixty people remain to assess the damage and restore basic services, according to the Army. The top priorities are clearing the runway, U.S. Army Col. Drew Morgan said in a statement.

"Once the runway is open, we can move people and equipment back and forth to start the recovery process," Morgan said.

Erik Hanson
This still from a video shows the moment a wave ripped through a restaurant on Marshall Island, Jan. 21, 2024.
Erik Hanson

The recovery event for the flooding is going to be a "marathon," Morgan told ABC News.

Sienkiewicz warned people who go to the beach to be vigilant if they start to witness a wide variety in the size of waves.

"Just be cautious -- cautious in a sense that don't venture into the surf line or even close to the surf line," he said.

ABC News' Stephanie Ebbs, Anne Flaherty, Kelly Livi
ngston and Christopher Looft contributed to this report.

So let me get this straight, because a big wave hit an island, it proves that global warming is real. So using that logic, because a big wave didn't hit any other island, that proves there isn't global warming?

fb5ddb68b0c716a55f36cd27050934dd_large.png

So somehow a big wave is a result of Climate change?

If you jump in a pool in the shallow end, then go to the deep end and jump in, would the wave be any bigger.

A wave is nothing more than a disturbance of the surface of water. Depth of water had nothing to do with it becoming larger than normal. Waves only become larger when they move into shallow water. Not become larger because they start in deeper water.

But stupid people will buy into this article because they can't free think on their own.

Last edited:
So somehow a big wave is a result of Climate change?

If you jump in a pool in the shallow end, then go to the deep end and jump in, would the wave be any bigger.

A wave is nothing more than a disturbance of the surface of water. Depth of water had nothing to do with it becoming larger than normal. Waves only become larger when they move into shallow water. Not become larger because they start in deeper water.

But stupid people will buy into this article because they can't free think on their own.
Yes, please think on your own instead of listening to the professionals who have devoted their lives to the study of this issue.

Reactions: SocraticIshmael
This isn't difficult. As sea level rises due to increased volume (due to melting ice sheets) and thermal expansion (due to increased water temperature), the fact that less of an island or coastline is above the level of the sea means that waves of the same size will penetrate more deeply and thus do more damage.

Think about a swimming pool. If it is brim-full, water sloshes over the side and onto the deck more easily. If the pool level is a foot below the deck, then less water sloshes out of the pool.

seems much more likely we had a tectonic shift that went undetected, released a bunch of energy that resulted in tidal waves...

Yes, please think on your own instead of listening to the professionals who have devoted their lives to the study of this issue.
Ohhh, professionals that require grants from the government and big donors to complete their research.

Find me something that proves that waves are bigger when created in deeper water, compared to one created in shallow water. 3" to be exact ( the amount of sea level rise since the military base was built there).

Ohhh, professionals that require grants from the government and big donors to complete their research.

Find me something that proves that waves are bigger when created in deeper water, compared to one created in shallow water. 3" to be exact ( the amount of sea level rise since the military base was built there).
Yes, the professionals require grants. Doesn’t make them not professionals. Not everything is a conspiracy.

You keep trusting X and I’ll go with the professionals.
The same ones that have been pushing this crap since 1958?

Productions score :

Environment - 18

Environmental professionals - 0

Maybe when they get something actually right for once I will pay attention.

The same ones that have been pushing this crap since 1958?

Productions score :

Environment - 18

Environmental professionals - 0

Maybe when they get something actually right for once I will pay attention.
Yep, they have no idea what they are talking about. Again, you know more than the professionals.

Yep, they have no idea what they are talking about. Again, you know more than the professionals.
You do know I have a Bachelor's of Science in Meteorology and worked in the field for years, right?

I posted about it many times. I even provided information that only someone in the field would know.

You're kinda barking up the wrong tree there Fido.

• Haha
You do know I have a Bachelor's of Science in Meteorology and worked in the field for years, right?

I posted about it many times. I even provided information that only someone in the field would know.

🤣

I know more about basketball than Michael Jordan because I played in high school.

Get a refund for that "degree," simpleton.

Reactions: IANDFAN

Then you should know that the vast majority of your “colleges” disagree with you. But here you are acting like everyone agrees with you.

Then you should know that the vast majority of your “colleges” disagree with you. But here you are acting like everyone agrees with you.
They sure do in public. Not so much behind closed doors. They have been at it since 1958 and still can't prove anything. They put out predictions to get funding, predictions that have never come true. Not ONE, ZERO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT