ADVERTISEMENT

Proposal to repeal War Powers Act

Finance85

HR Legend
Oct 22, 2003
If true, this would be awesome. It's an opportunity for Congress, particularly the House, to take back their responsibility.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-powers-vote-congress-psaki

The White House on Friday said it is "committed" to working with Congress on new legislation to repeal current presidential war powers to be replaced with a "narrow and specific framework" to protect U.S. national security, while "ending the forever wars."

The commitment comes after a bipartisan group of senators, led by Sens. Tim Kaine, D-Va., and Todd Young, R-Ind., on Wednesday called for the repeal of presidential war powers granted by Congress in 1991 and 2002, which would revoke authorization for military force in the Middle East, as tensions rise between the U.S. and Iran.

"We are committed to working with Congress to ensure that the authorizations for the use of military force currently on the books are replaced with a narrow and specific framework that will ensure we can protect Americans from terrorist threats while ending the forever wars," Psaki said.

Kind of surprising because usually presidents no matter their party don't work to limit their powers.

If something like this goes through I think Biden would be the first president in probably hundreds of years to willingly cooperate in limiting his own power.

Kind of surprising because usually presidents no matter their party don't work to limit their powers.

If something like this goes through I think Biden would be the first president in probably hundreds of years to willingly cooperate in limiting his own power.

That's exactly right. I always thought it would take a veto proof Congress to pass something like this. This is a golden opportunity. I'm sure the war mongers will be against it. Congress should never cede their responsibilities and duties to the Executive Branch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT