ADVERTISEMENT

Protest Saturday

She admits this could be misunderstood as disrespectful to the county. Why not just hold a banner outside instead so there is no confusion?
I'm on record in supporting the right to protest, but that was my thought as well. The other was the part about doing it to raise awareness. You're a little late to the party there. I can't think of anything that's been talked about more lately, sadly even more than the massacre in Vegas.

Still, college supposed to be where ideas are freely exchanged. I know it can be one-sided at times but the solution to that is certainly not to shut (or shout) people down. I won't be surprised if some students still do something. If so I hope there is not loud booing or worse in response, especially during the anthem.

Ideas may be freely exchanged. People have the right to protest. Protesters also assume the risk that their protest may offend some, may backfire, and that others may think their protest is idiotic, or off base. Nobody will boo them during the National Anthem. They may boo protesters immediately after the National Anthem is over.

Many of you are so stupid and clueless it is painful to read your (incredibly misinformed) posts. Police discrimination against blacks exists, and it is pathetic that many of you refuse to admit it.

This is apparent when looking at anecdotal evidence (Laquan McDonald, Eric Garner, Walter Scott, etc. - all killed for no reason whatsoever).

This is apparent when looking at statistical evidence (the racially discriminatory use of Stop and Frisk laws in NYC despite blacks who were stopped being LESS likely to carry weapons than whites; the racially disproportionate use of "walking in roadway" citations in Ferguson, etc.).

The really ****ed up part is that there is now video evidence of this stuff happening, and people still refuse to admit it is a problem. It's disgusting.

Reactions: RoundRock620
As someone who has worked in law enforcement I find this pretty disrespectful. One look at Iowa cases over last year and will see very few cases and 2nd as someone who has responded to incidents with shots fired and other dangerous situations the last thing on my mind is race of the individual. I've had co workers taking shots and injured in situations by all races so spare me the sob story by this little 20 something white girl. But to see this girl who I'm assuming has no clue what goes on in the real world makes me laugh. As another poster said just cause few teachers fool around with some students underage doesn't make them all pedophiles and just cause few bad police shootings doesn't make all cops racist. All I know 243 shootings that killed black males in the entire US by police last year including many justifiable ones but city of Chicago alone had double that #. So yeah protest the police but makes me sick all the people turning blind eyes to many drug and gang related killings of the black community every year that you never hear a peep about.

Many of you are so stupid and clueless it is painful to read your (incredibly misinformed) posts. Police discrimination against blacks exists, and it is pathetic that many of you refuse to admit it.

This is apparent when looking at anecdotal evidence (Laquan McDonald, Eric Garner, Walter Scott, etc. - all killed for no reason whatsoever).

This is apparent when looking at statistical evidence (the racially discriminatory use of Stop and Frisk laws in NYC despite blacks who were stopped being LESS likely to carry weapons than whites; the racially disproportionate use of "walking in roadway" citations in Ferguson, etc.).

The really ****ed up part is that there is now video evidence of this stuff happening, and people still refuse to admit it is a problem. It's disgusting.

Thanks for bringing up cases all over a year old and none in Iowa. Walter Scott the cop is in jail and rightfully so. Eric garner had committed a crime and died of caridac arrest cause he was an obese sob who wouldn't comply and arrested for the act he committed multiple times. Again with these protest tell me about cases in Iowa in last year since it's such an issue according to some....

Last edited:
Thanks for bringing up cases all over a year old. Walter Scott cop is in jail. Eric garner had committed a crime and died of caridac arrest cause he was an obese sob who,wouldn't comply. Again with these protest tell me about cases in Iowa in last year since it's such an issue according to some....

The cop who murdered Walter Scott is not in jail. The case resulted in a mistrial- yes, a juror watched the officer shoot a fleeing man in the back and thought it was justified. That's pretty disturbing.

The fact that Garner committed a crime literally has nothing to do with whether or not he should have been killed. He was showing no signs of physical resistance and the cop immediately proceeded to use an illegal police tactic and continue its use, even when Garner stated multiple times he couldn't breathe.

I agree with you that I have not heard or seen of any egregiously inappropriate uses of police force in Iowa over recent years. That doesn't preclude someone in Iowa from protesting police brutality and racial injustice elsewhere, though. Were Vietnam War protestors only allowed to protest in Vietnam?

Id like to protest clouds, rain, and night time. Why cant the sun stay out all the time and why does a cloud have to ruin a good day. These are what really grind my gears and they should be done away with!!!!

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Id like to protest clouds, rain, and night time. Why cant the sun stay out all the time and why does a cloud have to ruin a good day. These are what really grind my gears and they should be done away with!!!!

The simple fact that you thought this was funny and/or worth posting says a lot about your intelligence (or lack thereof).

The cop who murdered Walter Scott is not in jail. The case resulted in a mistrial- yes, a juror watched the officer shoot a fleeing man in the back and thought it was justified. That's pretty disturbing.

The fact that Garner committed a crime literally has nothing to do with whether or not he should have been killed. He was showing no signs of physical resistance and the cop immediately proceeded to use an illegal police tactic and continue its use, even when Garner stated multiple times he couldn't breathe.

I agree with you that I have not heard or seen of any egregiously inappropriate uses of police force in Iowa over recent years. That doesn't preclude someone in Iowa from protesting police brutality and racial injustice elsewhere, though. Were Vietnam War protestors only allowed to protest in Vietnam?

Forgive us here and those who roll their eyes at this when again 243 less than 5 a week black males killed by the entire police force in the US last year when city of Chicago had 500+ and Baltimore 300+'black males Murdered. If you all really cared about deaths of black males you'd realize the police are the least of your worries and take a closer look and bigger issues causing deaths I.e gang and drug related shootings and maybe that's why people think this protest was a joke especially here in Iowa when this issue really hasn't been an issue.

I would be all for protesting the mothers and fathers having kids and bringing them up in an environment where killing, rape, robbery and drugs is normal, where no morals values or dignity exists. That is where the real problem is, why isn't anyone wanting to protest this? I feel so sorry for kids being brought up in this situation, they don't have a chance.

Forgive us here and those who roll their eyes at this when again 243 less than 5 a week black males killed by the entire police force in the US last year when city of Chicago had 500+ and Baltimore 300+'black males Murdered. If you all really cared about deaths of black males you'd realize the police are the least of your worries and take a closer look and bigger issues causing deaths I.e gang and drug related shootings and maybe that's why people think this protest was a joke especially here in Iowa when this issue really hasn't been an issue.
Just because gang violence is a problem doesn't mean unjustified police killings aren't. They are supposed to be the good guys. You know, the ones protecting us. Bad cops should not be protected yet it seems they often are. It's also possible that some here have been treated unfairly but people like yourself wouldn't give them any credence even if they told you about their experiences. For crying out loud, I've seen it argued the racism doesn't really exist anymore. Come on.

Reactions: IAHawk2011
Listen to Everybody Knows that racism and bigotry and discrimination is an active part of the society today but protesting just enhances the anger and the division in this country stop it because when I see somebody protesting to me they're no different than the offenders that are causing them to protest they're just feeding into the problem I know you're upset that there's racism in this country I get it but to protest just makes people like me think that you just want attention brought to yourself I may get a lot of flack by this post but it's the truth I've said before the only thing that's going to heal this country is if people stop protesting and they just love each other get over yourselves

Can someone list a perfect society on this planet? Then let's start a go-fund me page to pay for anyone who is so disillusioned with this awful country to go and live there. Not only is there freedom of speech but there's also freedom to leave.

These protests are all about drawing attention to one's self. There's no basis in data, do not provide a well thought out plan to change anything, ask everyone else to do the difficult work and expect all humans to think & behave the same which we know is impossible.

I happen to be Dutch and I do face a level of discrimination every day. Some days are worse than others. It's palpable.

Guess what convenience store lady! I'm not here to take more than my fair share of the"give a penny/take a penny" tray so you can stop watching me!

That being said, I do discriminate against one people.....Germans.

I hate Germans.

I'm on record in supporting the right to protest, but that was my thought as well. The other was the part about doing it to raise awareness. You're a little late to the party there. I can't think of anything that's been talked about more lately, sadly even more than the massacre in Vegas.

Still, college supposed to be where ideas are freely exchanged. I know it can be one-sided at times but the solution to that is certainly not to shut (or shout) people down (sometimes they need to be for their own good). I won't be surprised if some students still do something. If so I hope there is not loud booing or worse in response, especially during the anthem. (don't draw attenti- err I mean "protest" then.....)

go to Waterloo where 2 white cops responded to a family disturbance and a black man took one of the officers gun and murdered them, the sad part this black male had just been released from Prison. then go find the Hoeing Rice memorial Softball complex and then go to their grave sites, then cry about all this

These idiots calling out police brutality are gonna crap when they need protected from the ones these dipshits are saying are so brutalized, I hope then the cops say f*** ya, fend for yourself.

Huh. Police officers take an oath to serve and protect. Are you serious?

Well said. It’s amazing how clueless some of these folks are. It’s a shame. Systemic racism still exists all across the board, such as the criminal justice system, housing market and so forth. And to say otherwise is foolish and ignorant.

Well said. It’s amazing how clueless some of these folks are. It’s a shame. Systemic racism still exists all across the board, such as the criminal justice system, housing market and so forth. And to say otherwise is foolish and ignorant.

I think many of us know who the clueless ones on here are. You need to go live in the hood and then get back with us.

Reactions: RocknRollface
That's only because they don't classify the gangbangers with multiple murders on their resumes as "serial killers".
The fact that you immediately went right to the term "gangbangers" speaks more about who you are as a person than anything else. I am not mad, I honestly feel bad for you. I also will not judge you because that is not my role or place, but holy cow

The fact that you immediately went right to the term "gangbangers" speaks more about who you are as a person than anything else. I am not mad, I honestly feel bad for you. I also will not judge you because that is not my role or place, but holy cow

You realize you came off as a liar and a hypocrite in this post . . .

there is an excuse for everything. here is what I did. I didn't like where I was brought up so guess what I did. I moved. here comes the excuses, they can't afford to move. I had a little junk car and all I took was some clothes. I traveled to where I wanted to go found odd jobs till I had enough to move up and that is how I got away from a crappy place. anyone can do it. life is so short to live where life hurts you. now I live someplace that doesn't have all the negative in it. life must be so tough where all this crap happens. why would u stay there? I don't understand how people treat each other so badly. to kill, steal, have babies out of wed lock(and not take care of them) drugs, sell drugs. Just move. O and I did go into the Army. Spent 6 years there. It helped me grow up. People want hand outs to much these days. no pride when you live on the government. so if the police are bad where you live maybe you should move and if you can't then go help in a soup kitchen, help build a house for the needy get involved in your community and change things. stop sitting around telling everyone how bad it is for you. thanks

This chick hasn't given up. She was in Burlington over the weekend and met with some former classmates of Bubba Jones (who was fatally shot by police recently). I know someone who actually is thinking about joining her cause, although I'm sure the number of people who are with her are low.

I am too busy and lazy to read any of the previous posts.

97% sure.

My right as an a 'merican.

Last time I looked the Bill of Rights is still happening.. In other words... anyone can stand, hold their hand over their heart... go get a hot dog, sit, kneel, salute, genuflect, lay down, crawl around or even beg for forgiveness during OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM.

We are free and in the words of the great and late Tom Petty:

Free Fallin'

I applaud the young woman who is protesting at Iowa concerning injustice and that Black Lives Matter. Splattered lives too and not so much.

As for dragging Iowa, "student-athletes" football into this stuff?

Guess what, get real, this is what is going on.

Why can't she get a group together and just burn their bras. Now that was a good protest! I don't really care what they were protesting back then, but it sure got everyone to look their way :)

Reactions: Mr. Smee
I am too busy and lazy to read any of the previous posts.

97% sure.

My right as an a 'merican.

Last time I looked the Bill of Rights is still happening.. In other words... anyone can stand, hold their hand over their heart... go get a hot dog, sit, kneel, salute, genuflect, lay down, crawl around or even beg for forgiveness during OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM.

We are free and in the words of the great and late Tom Petty:

Free Fallin'

I applaud the young woman who is protesting at Iowa concerning injustice and that Black Lives Matter. Splattered lives too and not so much.

As for dragging Iowa, "student-athletes" football into this stuff?

Guess what, get real, this is what is going on.
Well, asshat, it is the right of every American to disagree and although you have the right to protest, you don't have the right to protest everywhere that you may choose and you, also, need to know that there are consequences for your actions if you become disruptive, disrespectful, or out of line. If you use any of those methods or use force in any manner, such as Antifa does, you can expect the same.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
And, of course, the entitled, angry mob, looting, knockout gaming, black power, gangbanging, pants down to their knees, thug attitude that many young black males exhibit has nothing to do with how others view them, right? They get back what they give out, everyone one else has my undying respect.

We all have the right to protest and to speak our mind. People have fought for and died for this principle. That is what this country is founded on. I'm amazed that people don't understand this. I was taught this in the 1st grade.

We all have the right to protest and to speak our mind. People have fought for and died for this principle. That is what this country is founded on. I'm amazed that people don't understand this. I was taught this in the 1st grade.
Nobody should disagree, but that's not the point. Years ago some religious crazies felt like it was appropriate to protest at the funerals of dead soldiers. That was certainly their constitutional right, but it was inappropriate and people naturally got offended and angry. I'm not trying to draw a comparison between the merits of the two protests, but there is a very similar idea in this case. If your protest is intentionally offensive, you shouldn't be surprised when people get offended.

Reactions: Kurt Warner

Ya feel free to protest as an "individual" representing yourself on your own time; but when you are representing your university, organization, employer,etc in their space/environment, don't be surprised if there are consequences.

Why can't she get a group together and just burn their bras. Now that was a good protest! I don't really care what they were protesting back then, but it sure got everyone to look their way :)

I would prefer they burn their bras and shirts simultaneously. Preferably while a cool breeze brushes against their upper torso. (no, Harvey Weinstein is not my uncle)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT