ADVERTISEMENT

Proud of my wife

theiacowtipper

HR Legend
Feb 17, 2004
No pics. She was told that her entire work regimen was changing. Hours responsibilities. Workplace. Senior management told her she WAS going to start a week from today. Said, nope, I quit. Didn’t call me or consult or anything. That’s exactly what she should have done. Jobs are a dime a dozen. Walk out if they treat you like shit. End of rant.

No pics. She was told that her entire work regimen was changing. Hours responsibilities. Workplace. Senior management told her she WAS going to start a week from today. Said, nope, I quit. Didn’t call me or consult or anything. That’s exactly what she should have done. Jobs are a dime a dozen. Walk out if they treat you like shit. End of rant.
Imagine you both are thankful Trump gave her the option of doing that.

(Please, please.....I just couldn't resist, OK?)

While I prefer that people have this attitude, as a deterrent to companies thinking they can do as they please, I disagree that good jobs are a dime a dozen.

If I were in your shoes I’d be annoyed with my wife.

I’d have supported her decision but that warrants a conversation.

Hmmm. What could I have said? You have to stay? You have my permission to quit? She knows our financial situation as well as I do and we could have afforded her leaving even if she couldn’t find a job right away. They were making her do things she wasn’t interested in doing philosophically or professionally. Not unethical but she had no interest. They thought that because she had been there 20+ years they could push her around. She doesn’t need my permission as there was no way she was staying.

Agreed. At the very least a quick call or text. But it does sound like she has some balls.
do you live on the Thames? Which town/borough? I could spit in the Thames from my balcony when I lived there (didn't dare try though b/c if the wind blew wrong I could hit my neighbor below).

Hmmm. What could I have said? You have to stay? You have my permission to quit? She knows our financial situation as well as I do and we could have afforded her leaving even if she couldn’t find a job right away. They were making her do things she wasn’t interested in doing philosophically or professionally. Not unethical but she had no interest. They thought that because she had been there 20+ years they could push her around. She doesn’t need my permission as there was no way she was staying.

What if you had both quit on the same day without consulting each other?

My wife and I respect each other way too much to act unilaterally on such matters.

Interested the “Question Authority” in your signature line. Are you the authority in your relationship? Does your spouse get to question your authority or do they have to get permission from you?

No, my wife and I have an equal partnership. I wouldn’t walk away from my job without having a discussion with her, and vice versa.

It’s not about granting one another permission.

He'd probably be in trouble for not already having a better paying job than the one he quit.

Ain't that the truth. There's no right or wrong here, as every relationship is unique, but I can't envision a single male in my circle of friends and family who wouldn't be in some serious shit right now if they pulled something similar. Most women could probably get away with it, in fact my SIL (no pic) just did something similar. Quit her nursing job one day out of the blue, had my brother (no pic) pay for her to take classes to get her realtors license (which she didn't finish), but eventually she got back into nursing. It raised a couple eyebrows amongst family and friends, but nobody made much of a deal out of it.

Ain't that the truth. There's no right or wrong here, as every relationship is unique, but I can't envision a single male in my circle of friends and family who wouldn't be in some serious shit right now if they pulled something similar. Most women could probably get away with it, in fact my SIL (no pic) just did something similar. Quit her nursing job one day out of the blue, had my brother (no pic) pay for her to take classes to get her realtors license (which she didn't finish), but eventually she got back into nursing. It raised a couple eyebrows amongst family and friends, but nobody made much of a deal out of it.
She’s a nurse but couldn’t finish realtor “school”?

Being the primary breadwinner at my house would not allow me to do that.

I would look for a new job and once I had it locked up I would possibly quit without notice if I felt truly wronged.

Reactions: ghost80
Congrats! Sounds like a win-win. Clearly your wife's employer didn't give 2 squirts whether she stayed or left and it sounds like this might have been the nudge for your wife to find a greener pasture. Hopefully both sides will be happy with the change.

The saying is out there and many times it is true. "If you have been in your current job over 5 years...chances are you're being underpaid".

Reactions: theiacowtipper
Being the primary breadwinner at my house would not allow me to do that.

I would look for a new job and once I had it locked up I would possibly quit without notice if I felt truly wronged.

I'm leary of hiring people who have left without notice. There can be reasons but normally it is too strong of an indicator they can give you some of the same down the road.

I realize the OPs wife probably had a connection with her new job she found on the same day...if not I'd be very leery of that too. Employers snapping you up that quick look desperate or they tend to hire "fast and halfassed". Either way there can also be issues down the road. Some of the worst hiring mistakes I've made have come when I've been pressured to make a hire quick.

I'm leary of hiring people who have left without notice. There can be reasons but normally it is too strong of an indicator they can give you some of the same down the road.

I realize the OPs wife probably had a connection with her new job she found on the same day...if not I'd be very leery of that too. Employers snapping you up that quick look desperate or they tend to hire "fast and halfassed". Either way there can also be issues down the road. Some of the worst hiring mistakes I've made have come when I've been pressured to make a hire quick.
I would not quit until I had my next job.

So many places are so scared of lawsuits all they wil officials acknowledge is the fact you worked there.

Two weeks notice can easily turn into two weeks of surfing the web. If the person is involved in a sensitive are or IT they would be wise to just pay them the two weeks and tell him to not come back.

I would not quit until I had my next job.

So many places are so scared of lawsuits all they wil officials acknowledge is the fact you worked there.

Two weeks notice can easily turn into two weeks of surfing the web. If the person is involved in a sensitive are or IT they would be wise to just pay them the two weeks and tell him to not come back.

Yes and no. Many positions will immediately terminate you when you submit your notice (sales and customer service are biggies) but you still need to give the employer the option of paying you for 2 weeks and sending you on your way.

Often potential employees will both directly or indirectly tell you what you want to know and that would include your last job separation. Can an interviewee lie to me? Sure, but more often than they realize a skilled interviewer knows when they are seeing a lie. No need to ask a prior employer and possibly not be directly told anyway.

Yes and no. Many positions will immediately terminate you when you submit your notice (sales and customer service are biggies) but you still need to give the employer the option of paying you for 2 weeks and sending you on your way.

Often potential employees will both directly or indirectly tell you what you want to know and that would include your last job separation. Can an interviewee lie to me? Sure, but more often than they realize a skilled interviewer knows when they are seeing a lie. No need to ask a prior employer and possibly not be directly told anyway.

I have never taken a new job and had my new employer ask for the details of how I plan on quitting my current job. Nor have I ever heard of an employer contacting the former employers of new hires and ask if the had a pleasant last two weeks.

Be some kind of over the top asshole HR department.

I'm guessing the OP and his wife do not have kids in college, on the threshold of college, and is not halfway through a mortgage.
Years ago I had a short conversation at work one Friday afternoon which ended up with me quitting. I stopped at Kroger's to get something to grill for dinner. The wife wanted to know why I was home early, so, I told her that I'd told them that, "**** 'em", and had quit. In the end it was a good experience. We packed cup and moved back to Iowa a few months later.

Reactions: EasyHawk
I have never taken a new job and had my new employer ask for the details of how I plan on quitting my current job. Nor have I ever heard of an employer contacting the former employers of new hires and ask if the had a pleasant last two weeks.

Be some kind of over the top asshole HR department.

Nope but I have skills the average Joe getting interviewed doesn't have...and by not having those skills they also lack the defense to prevent me from learning what I desire to find out. No need to contact a prior employer. I can normally find out what I want and often the interviewee doesn't have any idea what they have really just told me.

ADVERTISEMENT