ADVERTISEMENT

Proven playmakers

chodehawk

HR MVP
Oct 9, 2016
Don't have to search too hard on this roster to find something to get excited about.

Among others, let's just start with ISM,Tracy, Smith and Goodson. So, you're telling me three of these four guys can basically destroy DB ankles at any given moment and the fourth is physically NFL ready as we speak? - YES PLEASE

I don't think it's a stretch to assume this is the best group of offensive skill position talent we've ever had. Certainly since 97ish IMO.

Last edited:
Out of all of them Smith is the freakiest. Jacked and can practically fly with amazing hands. Dude is gonna hopefully play on Sunday's. He’s like Marvin McNutt but without the occasional drop.

Out of all of them Smith is the freakiest. Jacked and can practically fly with amazing hands. Dude is gonna hopefully play on Sunday's. He’s like Marvin McNutt but without the occasional drop.
Smith is interesting. Doesn't really have burner speed but a very reliable possession receiver. Would love to see some YAC with him. Not sure if he makes it at the next level or not.

Smith is interesting. Doesn't really have burner speed but a very reliable possession receiver. Would love to see some YAC with him. Not sure if he makes it at the next level or not.
Would love to see him healthy all year and get as much action as he can. With as many weapons as this roster has there is the potential for "less flashy" guys like Smith to get some more space.

Agree with your YAC comment. Also, I've never seen someone who basically did such a 180 in the hands department. Dude flat out stunk his freshman year with the dropsies...fast forward to last year, and he is making highlight reel catches.

Agree with your YAC comment. Also, I've never seen someone who basically did such a 180 in the hands department. Dude flat out stunk his freshman year with the dropsies...fast forward to last year, and he is making highlight reel catches.
Confidence is a hell of a drug.

Wrong. It's nice to have so many potentially weapons. ISM is a next level talent that we may never have seen before. His speed is Ted Ginn Jr level. That dude will open up so much space underneath.

Don't have to search too hard on this roster to find something to get excited about.

Among others, let's just start with ISM,Tracy, Smith and Goodson. So, you're telling me three of these four guys can basically destroy DB ankles at any given moment and the fourth is physically NFL ready as we speak? - YES PLEASE

I don't think it's a stretch to assume this is the best group of offensive skill position talent we've ever had. Certainly since 97ish IMO.
You forgot our biggest weapon: S & C Coach Chris Doyle

Really hoping Tracy and Ragaini improve in the pass catching aspect as well as ISM did from his freshman year to now.

Reactions: TKingpin
Really hoping Tracy and Ragaini improve in the pass catching aspect as well as ISM did from his freshman year to now.
Were ISM’s hands that bad his freshman year? First game that comes to mind that year is ISU and his hands were not a problem in that one.

Last edited:
Biggest question is our QB. Other than that offensive skill positions should be the best we've had.

Not so fast my friend! 2002 had Freddy and Jermelle at runningback, Dallas Clark at TE, and your top four receivers were CJ Jones, Mo Brown, Ed Hinkel, and Clinton Solomon.

During the summer of 2002 we didn’t know what we had, though. We were wondering how we’d replace Ladell Betts and Kahlil Hill. So we certainly have more PROVEN guys going into the season. If they can live up to that 2002 squad, oh baby look out.

Not so fast my friend! 2002 had Freddy and Jermelle at runningback, Dallas Clark at TE, and your top four receivers were CJ Jones, Mo Brown, Ed Hinkel, and Clinton Solomon.

During the summer of 2002 we didn’t know what we had, though. We were wondering how we’d replace Ladell Betts and Kahlil Hill. So we certainly have more PROVEN guys going into the season. If they can live up to that 2002 squad, oh baby look out.

That 2002 squad may be the best comparison. We didn't know what we had in Banks until he lit it up. But the one thing Iowa had that year that allowed all those position players to reach their potential was that offensive line. That's the one group that sticks out as not being near the level of the 2002 squad. Fred Russell and Jermelle Lewis had holes the size of canyons to run through most of the year and Banks usually had plenty of time to sit in the pocket to make big plays downfield. But as far as positional talent, I think you're right about this year's group being as deep and talented as the 2002 skill players. If the OL can just be above average it should be a hell of a team.

Just got to hope there is a season with fans. Iowa will benefit with as many as possible. A loud Kinnick is very intimidating.

When Niko is our 5 that’s pretty solid. Best skill position group at Iowa in awhile

I know you won't like this answer but Nico is not my #5. I am not on the Nico train and have said many times I would like to see what Oliver Martin could do with his reps. Before you all come at me I know Martin isn't a true slot guy.

That 2002 squad may be the best comparison. We didn't know what we had in Banks until he lit it up. But the one thing Iowa had that year that allowed all those position players to reach their potential was that offensive line. That's the one group that sticks out as not being near the level of the 2002 squad. Fred Russell and Jermelle Lewis had holes the size of canyons to run through most of the year and Banks usually had plenty of time to sit in the pocket to make big plays downfield. But as far as positional talent, I think you're right about this year's group being as deep and talented as the 2002 skill players. If the OL can just be above average it should be a hell of a team.
AND...Banks made huge plays with his feet. A QB that can legit run/scramble is extremely important unless you've got Peyton Manning under center.

I was a freshman at Iowa in '02 (Hillcrest Hall alum!).. The best, most exciting football I've ever seen Iowa play. What a year.

Reactions: Eternal Return
Just got to hope there is a season with fans. Iowa will benefit with as many as possible. A loud Kinnick is very intimidating.
Other than the wiscy game we shouldn't need the help. Could use the smaller crowds for a couple road games though....

I know you won't like this answer but Nico is not my #5. I am not on the Nico train and have said many times I would like to see what Oliver Martin could do with his reps. Before you all come at me I know Martin isn't a true slot guy.
Oliver barely played and will barely play again this year

AND...Banks made huge plays with his feet. A QB that can legit run/scramble is extremely important unless you've got Peyton Manning under center.

I was a freshman at Iowa in '02 (Hillcrest Hall alum!).. The best, most exciting football I've ever seen Iowa play. What a year.

That's a good point about Banks making plays with his feet. Petras won't be bringing that to the table. I think Deuce Hogan is supposedly more mobile??? I don't know, though. But, yeah, that 2002 offense had ZERO weaknesses. So fun to watch.

That's a good point about Banks making plays with his feet. Petras won't be bringing that to the table. I think Deuce Hogan is supposedly more mobile??? I don't know, though. But, yeah, that 2002 offense had ZERO weaknesses. So fun to watch.
It certainly was fun. I wish it was the staff's goal to have a dual-threat quarterback year-in and year-out.

It makes teams so much more dynamic, plain and simple.

And I don't know if Hogan is even partially a dual-threat....?

Reactions: Eternal Return
It certainly was fun. I wish it was the staff's goal to have a dual-threat quarterback year-in and year-out.

It makes teams so much more dynamic, plain and simple.

And I don't know if Hogan is even partially a dual-threat....?

Yeah, I don't know about Hogan. Maybe it was Padilla who supposedly had some wheels. Either way, none of those guys is in the same class as Banks. Tate moved really well in the pocket and could make plays with his feet. Beatherd was good before he was injured and after that he was pretty much a statue. Iowa just hasn't had many mobile QBs. It'd be fun to have a Banks or Tate behind the line of scrimmage, especially since Iowa hasn't had the same type of offensive lines in the 2010s as they used to have in the 2000s.

Reactions: HawkInArk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT