ADVERTISEMENT

Pryce Sandfort “steals the show” at national tourney

May 17, 2021

Last summer at this time,
Pryce Sandfortwas just beginning to make his name as a high-major prospect. This weekend the 6-foot-7 guard solidified himself as a stock riser with a well-rounded game that could help any number of colleges. Sandfort helped his D1 Minnesota team to an easy win over a loaded Southern Assault team on Friday, as he showed the ability to change games as a scorer, rebounder and defender while cashing in a four-point play on his way to one of the day’s most well-rounded performances. The class of 2024 prospect handles the ball relatively well, clearly has range and is able to create shots for both himself and others.

His effort was so impressive, in fact, that there were muffled but audible groans from a group of college coaches seated along the baseline when they were informed that his older brother,
Payton Sandfort, currently played for Iowa.

“Well, it’s gonna be tough to get him out of Big Ten country,” one said to nobody in particular.
Sandfort’s recruitment remains open, however, as the 6-foot-6 guard insists his brother’s standing as an active Hawkeye doesn’t make this an open-and-shut case. He holds offers from programs such as Iowa, Clemson, Washington State, Nebraska and others.

Why is he playing for a Minnesota team?

I know they have family in Nebraska just wondering what the connection is to Minnesota
Because D1Minnesota is on a good circuit(Adidas) and has other good players-- they have at least 3 power 6 guys on the 17U team. For reference, Iowa Barnstormers have maybe 1 power 6 guy and play on the PrepHoops circuit. Jack McCaffery is playing for D1Minnesota for likely the same reason--the talent level is just much better on Addidas than at the PrepHoops.

Because D1Minnesota is on a good circuit(Adidas) and has other good players-- they have at least 3 power 6 guys on the 17U team. For reference, Iowa Barnstormers have maybe 1 power 6 guy and play on the PrepHoops circuit. Jack McCaffery is playing for D1Minnesota for likely the same reason--the talent level is just much better on Addidas than at the PrepHoops.
Thanks for the response!

This is an interesting report. I had recently noticed that he was downgraded from a 4-star to a 3-star (108 overall to 138). As Iowa fans, we know stars don't matter, but it sure sounds like he's starting to blow up and yet was downgraded.

Last edited:
This is an interesting report. I had recently noticed that he was downgraded from a 4-star to a 3-star (108 overall to 138). As Iowa fans, we know stars don't matter, but it sure sounds like he's starting to blow up and yet was downgraded.
seems like he was downgraded before he "stole the show" in a national tournament. he's clearly a big talent whether zero or five stars. and he'd be one of the leaders of the hawkeye family if he chooses to join it. I certainly hope he does! The Sandfort family seems like truly good and great people.

seems like he was downgraded before he "stole the show" in a national tournament. he's clearly a big talent whether zero or five stars. and he'd be one of the leaders of the hawkeye family if he chooses to join it. I certainly hope he does! The Sandfort family seems like truly good and great people.
If that’s on Rivals. I would take it with a grain of salt. They are clearly superior in FB recruiting and clearly not in BB

Reactions: perryhawk
You will notice that frequently happens to Iowa commits.

• Angry
Reactions: NevadaHawk
Depends on which shoes he decides to wear
DyMQ9k4UcAABZGj.jpg

Sorry, gonna be that guy... Pryce? Trying a little too hard for the sibling alliteration there.

Have heard he doesn't want to follow in big bro's foot steps......
A poster on TOS with ties to Waukee mentioned the same thing. He also mentioned that Pryce grew up an ISU fan. As a poster above mentioned, his family has ties to NE. Makes both ISU and NE contenders.

Pryce to IA may not be the slam dunk some think it is.

That’s good - if true and doesn’t change.
It would also seem to call into doubt that OS poster's info. Might be old or wrong. And why no listed visit date for other than Iowa and Drake? He's already been to Iowa on unofficials so I am surprised that he hasn't set one up to Nebby. Has he been there or to IA State on unofficials?

It would also seem to call into doubt that OS poster's info. Might be old or wrong. And why no listed visit date for other than Iowa and Drake? He's already been to Iowa on unofficials so I am surprised that he hasn't set one up to Nebby. Has he been there or to IA State on unofficials?
True, although in fairness to that poster, his point may have been that he grew up an ISU fan and subsequently a Hoiberg fan - making NE a viable contender. I don’t recall for sure.

I show he’s visited NE twice - April and July according to web search articles.

Sorry for the potential mis-characterization of the TOS poster and definite misleading info. My bad.

Reactions: BBHawk
Certainly not from Fred’s days at Iowa State. I mean, Fred only graduated from there 27 years ago.

I guess when he coached ISU with success from 2010 - 2015 - when Pryce would have been up to 10 years old is erased from his memory. I mean Pryce only visited ISU basketball camps when Hoiberg was the coach. In fact, the Sandfort family still has the photos of Pryce posing with Fred according this Omaha Herald article (requires a login id, but the first two sentences are clear) describing Pryce visit to NE.

https://omaha.com › sports › huskers › mens-basketball › four-star-recruit-pryce-sandfort-sees-fit-with-nebraska-basketball › article_0ae11078-f0cf-11ec-9832-f734ecfdbe4b.html

Four-star recruit Pryce Sandfort sees fit with Nebraska basketball

Jun 24, 2022LINCOLN - Pryce Sandfort's parents still have the pictures. Sandfort is 5 or 6 years old in them. He's at an Iowa State basketball camp, posing with Fred Hoiberg. Hoiberg saw the photos at the...

ADVERTISEMENT