ADVERTISEMENT

Pryce Sandfort and Carl Cain

Max_Rebo

HR All-State
Jan 1, 2023
I’ve noticed that Pryce Sandfort wears #21 for Waukee. I wonder if there’s any particular reason why. When he gets to Iowa, he will have to switch to another number, as #21 is retired for Carl Cain.

That is, unless, there is a sentimental reason that Pryce wears #21, in which he might petition Cain to allow him to wear #21. That was the case with Patrick McCaffery who got special permission from Bill Seaberg to wear #22, as that number had sentimental value to Patrick.

I’ve always found the choices players make in the numbers they choose to wear to be interesting.

I’ve noticed that Pryce Sandfort wears #21 for Waukee. I wonder if there’s any particular reason why. When he gets to Iowa, he will have to switch to another number, as #21 is retired for Carl Cain.

That is, unless, there is a sentimental reason that Pryce wears #21, in which he might petition Cain to allow him to wear #21. That was the case with Patrick McCaffery who got special permission from Bill Seaberg to wear #22, as that number had sentimental value to Patrick.

I’ve always found the choices players make in the numbers they choose to wear to be interesting.
I often wonder why you don't see a lot of 69's on the floor. 🤔

I doubt that Pryce will be contacting Cain. Pmac got permission because of his bout with cancer that he and his close friend (who passed away from cancer), and both wore the #22. Thats why Seaberg granted his request. I doubt that because Pryce would just like to wear #21 that he'd even go to him with such a request.....

I doubt that Pryce will be contacting Cain. Pmac got permission because of his bout with cancer that he and his close friend (who passed away from cancer), and both wore the #22. Thats why Seaberg granted his request. I doubt that because Pryce would just like to wear #21 that he'd even go to him with such a request.....
Probably not, but it depends on why Pryce wears #21. Maybe he’s got a good reason, just like Patrick.

Remember when Alford and Recker went to Ronnie Lester to ask for his permission for Recker to wear #12? There ended up being a bit of a backlash, so Recker ended up with #24.

Still, I could see where there could be some erosion to the “retired numbers” rule.

Fun fact: From the time BJ Armtrong’s #10 was “honored” (not “retired”) in 1992, not a single Hawkeye wore #10 until Mike Gesell in 2012. I’ve always thought that was interesting.

Lol.

You can only uses digits 0-5 in college. At least for now.

Which is stupid.

Though, to be fair, the IAHSAA only changed the even/home and odd/road in the last, what, 8-10 years? My older son alternated, younger son started that way, then was able to wear 52 every game.

Rodman wore 91 when he played for the bulls, I wonder how they got around that. Eh, that's a problem for the refs.
I thought he actually paid a fine every game to do so, but maybe that was never true as I couldn't find any article supporting that. Probably an urban legend we passed around as kids. However fun fact I unearthed while trying to look that up, he actually tried to wear #69 for Dallas according to an article I found, but the commissioner said absolutely not.

I thought he actually paid a fine every game to do so, but maybe that was never true as I couldn't find any article supporting that. Probably an urban legend we passed around as kids. However fun fact I unearthed while trying to look that up, he actually tried to wear #69 for Dallas according to an article I found, but the commissioner said absolutely not.
I think Shawn Bradley, who was 7-6, wore #76 for the 76ers for a little while.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Probably not, but it depends on why Pryce wears #21. Maybe he’s got a good reason, just like Patrick.

Remember when Alford and Recker went to Ronnie Lester to ask for his permission for Recker to wear #12? There ended up being a bit of a backlash, so Recker ended up with #24.

Still, I could see where there could be some erosion to the “retired numbers” rule.

Fun fact: From the time BJ Armtrong’s #10 was “honored” (not “retired”) in 1992, not a single Hawkeye wore #10 until Mike Gesell in 2012. I’ve always thought that was interesting.
If there were something that significant, we’d probably already have caught wind of it.

Other than something like PM’s situation, I’ve always wondered why people give a crap what number they wear?

Thats just a silly excuse. Do NBA officials have extra fingers? They're going to have to adjust at some point as teams keep retiring numbers anyway....
It's not an excuse - it's the reason. Officials indicate who the foul is on this way. And for f sake retiring jerseys isn't a factor.

If its that important then why do they have guys with 76 and 77's in the NBA?
There are like maybe five of them and pretty sure they had to get a waiver for it. I really don't care - I'm just explaining why there is such a thing. Start a petition to change it if you have such a problem with it.

There are like maybe five of them and pretty sure they had to get a waiver for it. I really don't care - I'm just explaining why there is such a thing. Start a petition to change it if you have such a problem with it.
I don't have a problem with it, I don't care at all. I'm fully aware of WHY they only go to 55, (the fingers deal), and don't need it explained. My point was only that in fact there have been players who wore those numbers, so in my mind it makes their rule meaningless.

Reactions: Max_Rebo
I think Shawn Bradley, who was 7-6, wore #76 for the 76ers for a little while.

13619526-9373225-image-a-24_1616008482130.jpg

Which is stupid.

Though, to be fair, the IAHSAA only changed the even/home and odd/road in the last, what, 8-10 years? My older son alternated, younger son started that way, then was able to wear 52 every game.

As a kid, I liked the alternate (even=home and odd=road) jerseys in HS. Again, at its' basic level, the scorers table can never assign the foul incorrectly because there's not two number 52s in the game ever. But then it confused me when the NBA didn't do the same.

The first number above 5 (when someone changed) I remember was Dr. J. He was 32 in the ABA. When he came to the Sixers, he became number 6.

In baseball, the first one I remember was Carlton Fisk. He was number 27 for Boston. When he left to go to White Sox, he reversed his number to 72. It was a big deal back in the day.

c4a7e8ce1a9cd1dcfb7d5fdbabfbfc5b_crop_exact.jpg

fisk-as-a-white-sox.jpg

Last edited:

There could be a potential conflict as Ladji Dembele also wears number 21. If you put them in a closet and have them battle it out to see who gets to ask Carl if they could wear that number my money is with Dembele.

• Haha
Reactions: Max_Rebo
ADVERTISEMENT