ADVERTISEMENT

New Story ***Pryce Sandfort commits to Iowa***

Apr 8, 2003
Article:

-

Pryce Sandfort did not go into the summer necessarily planning to make an early decision. But after an official visit to Iowa City last week, the 6-foot-7, 190-pound Waukee native decided there was no need to wait any longer and announced his commitment to the Hawkeyes today.

"Before my visit, I was talking to my parents and I was telling them there is no way I’ll commit after it. I wanted to take a lot of visits and decide after that," said Sandfort. "But on the visit it just felt like home. I didn’t want to be anywhere else or visit anywhere else. I fell in love with the campus and the vision that Coach Fran and Coach Gatens had for me. Also, I had a great time hanging out with the guys."

Sandfort, whose older brother Payton is a sophomore at Iowa, chose the Hawkeyes over scholarship offers from Nebraska, Clemson, Seton Hall, Washington State, and Drake. As a junior, he averaged 26.6 points and 10.3 rebounds per game at Waukee Northwest, shooting 52.6% from the field and 40.5% from the three-point line.

"They see me fitting in perfectly with how they want to play," Sandfort said of Iowa. "Playing fast, shooting a lot of 3s, all of that. They see me playing the 1-3 or 4. Fran has told me before, he sees me coming in as a freshman and making 60 3s and having a big role right away. Obviously, it's all up to me and how hard I work."

Overall, Sandfort is commitment No. 3 for Iowa, joining Owen Freeman and Brock Harding in the Class of 2023 for the Hawkeyes.

not to be a downer, but we need to keep the team together and no transfers out.

I can't recall any native Iowa scholarship kids that have transferred out to other programs in last 20 years. Alford had Carlton Reed out of Waterloo transfer to UNI, but that guy wasn't an impact player.

Great news.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
not to be a downer, but we need to keep the team together and no transfers out.

He keeps getting a lot of talent and people are going to leave early, either transfer or to the NBA. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Yeah, you want to keep guys, but if talented players can't get as much PT as they'd like, that means there are better players ahead of them.

And the NBA thing is self explanatory (hopefully).

Reactions: longliveCS40
@TomKakert was well ahead of the "experts" on other sites & forecasted Pryce to Iowa on June 25, 2022

It was just a matter of time.... ;)

Nevertheless, news like this always

1254172884282.jpg

I can't recall any native Iowa scholarship kids that have transferred out to other programs in last 20 years. Alford had Carlton Reed out of Waterloo transfer to UNI, but that guy wasn't an impact player.

Great news.

Cordell Pemsl
Dale Jones
Alex Thompson
Brennan Cougill

I think that would be about it.

You are potentially looking at a 5 person class, you very likely will have a transfer or two before it's all said and done. It's the way college basketball works, fretting about it is pointless.

Agreed. Now it's way too easy to transfer out with the transfer portal.

And there's not much Fran can do with a player like Joe Toussaint, who otherwise was happy at Iowa, but wanted 30 plus minutes this season (Fran told Chad Leistikow this in an interview). Fran would not guarantee minutes to Joe, of course, nor should he. It's too bad we lost Joe but you just have to move on and that's what Fran did.

Reactions: perryhawk
He keeps getting a lot of talent and people are going to leave early, either transfer or to the NBA. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Yeah, you want to keep guys, but if talented players can't get as much PT as they'd like, that means there are better players ahead of them.

And the NBA thing is self explanatory (hopefully).

Dasonte Bowen said in a recent interview that seeing the player development at Iowa and seeing Keegan being picked #4 in the NBA Draft showed him what's possible at Iowa.

So, I agree. Prospects are paying attention to what's going on in Iowa City and some of them want to be a part of it. Think of all of the dividends Fran is receiving from:

* Luka being a 2 time B1G Player of the Year & National Player of the Year

* Keegan, Luka & Joe getting drafted in the last 2 NBA Drafts

And don't forget how much JP Estrella's mom likes Luka Garza; she obviously was paying attention to Luka's development in his 4 years at Iowa.

Reactions: perryhawk
Cordell Pemsl
Dale Jones
Alex Thompson
Brennan Cougill

I think that would be about it.
Thompson still had something left in his career when he went "home" to Ames. Cordell was a true Hawk, so a loss from that perspective when he left seeking a clean start to escape his injury Karma. BC wasn't a BIG level athlete

ADVERTISEMENT