ADVERTISEMENT

PSU grades

just_somebody

HR All-American
Mar 1, 2006
Purely off memory, no rewatch, so i reserve the right to adjust them

125-F. Don't recall a single shot, nor any time he was close to getting off bottom

133- torn here. Got to legs better than every before, but looked like he didn't know what to do once there .. it seems silly to give a close loss to the #1 guy a C, but that's kinda what it feels like

141- similar to above. No doubt he can beat Lee, but wake me up when you do. B-

149- A. Major would have been nice, but this brought the crowd back. Max is a fighter.. Hopefully that sasso match last week showed him how close he is

157-B+. Did what he needed to do. TDs are ok too though

165- A. bull looked as good as he has this year. Loved the energy

174- Same thing as 33&41 on result, but this was A+ effort. No idea how that TD gets erased once it was called. Was it really time, or that he never had control. Kem looked dead to rights several times and used those hips to work out of it. Wish he was 100%

181-c? Brooks is dang good.. abe not there yet. Showed some spunk at the end to get deep on the leg and avoid bonus

197- A for the first 6 minutes, f for the last one. Loved the first period takedown. Got lucky at end of the period.

Hwt- A. Kerk is imposing, but heck of a match, especially after giving up the early TD. Upper body stuff was great, twice I thought he might take him feet to back and get the stick. Kerk will make adjustments in tourney I'm sure, but like cass's confidence.

PSU is dang good. They don't give up TDs, pick their shots and usually capitalize on them. They win scrambles and that leads them to winning most close matches. They don't have the DT, Nolf, Nix, Ruth, etc anymore, but they just keep trucking.

The gap between them and Iowa seems huge, and razor thin all at once. Hope the Hawks can peak in March and reverse a couple of these results

Id give Eierman a D. He reverted to sloppy Eierman who tries to hit a big move to win it.

Eierman has better mat skills than Lee but didnt give himself a chance to use them. The first and third takedowns by Lee were just dumb mistakes by Jaydin.

"These seniors" are solely responsible for bringing Iowa wrestling back to the top and if they could wrestle for another decade I would gladly take them.
I admire your loyalty, but let's talk grades.
125: F. Literally didn't do anything
133: A-. Took all the shots and lost to a more athletic guy
141: D. Didn't really try anything except for the slide by. Looked lazy.
149: B+. Only guy that looked like he wanted to win.
157: C+. Did just enough
165: A. All heart
174: B. Fought hard but wasn't enough
184: D. Tried his best not to get majored
197: C-. Gave up at the end.
HWt: B+. Won the positions that counted against a more athletic guy.

Team: C. Looked overmatched and the inferior athletes at every weight but 149 and HWt.

These seniors look their age. Beyond thankful for the memories but man is it time to turn the page on this chapter.
Ridiculous comment. Kemerer, DeSanto, Marinelli, Eierman and even Young wrestled with so much heart you couldn’t say what you just said without being a complete moron. Without guys like them they wouldn’t have a chance in hell of beating PSU in dual, let alone in a few weeks.

Terrible statement. If you are truly a Iowa wrestling fan, which I doubt, you shouldn’t even be able to be after an asinine comment like that…

Am I the only one that feels better about March now than I did going in to tonight?

Great win by Cass and despite being dinged at 133, 141 and 174 we are right there with the #1 ranked guys.
I was thinking the same. I had feared that PSU had created some separation at 133,141, and 174 based somewhat on our lackluster showing this year but also guys like Starocci looked like they had raised there level.

That is not the case. I truly think we will win two of those if not all 3 come March. We are right there.

These seniors look their age. Beyond thankful for the memories but man is it time to turn the page on this chapter.
You can lick a crusty b hole with this absurd comment. The seniors are the reason this team is worth a damn. Ya can’t escape an injury riddled season and I guess after a fairly healthy last two years we were due.

But your comment sucks. There I’ve said it twice.

Tough for me to grade. We were so close at 133, 141, 174. 197 too. This meet could have played out very differently with just a few tweaks. On paper, 9 of the 10 weights went chalk. We scored the only upset (HWT). We took 2 of their #1 ranked guys to overtime. Came within 1 point of another.

Overall a bad feeling for the team loss and gutted for the individuals who lost. But we're right there with PSU. I'll take that at this point of the year

PSU has the guys to run away with it in March however tonight showed me Iowa is just a couple head to head matches from stealing the trophy. PSU should be the clear favorites but for once Iowa needs to peak in the tournament. Murin is a darkhorse to sneak in to to the semi's. Dude has a ton of heart and could peak at the right time. AD, JE and Mk are right there. JE needs to remember his strengths and cut the slop. Dean is PSU's guy that could get shocked. Guy is wrestling to lose lately. Warner gassed against him tonight and started wrestling scared.

125- F
133- B-
141- C+
149- B
157- C-
165- A
174- A (just not healthy)
184- C
197- C… most of match B… last minute F…
285- A
Kinda my view, as well .

And I hope I never have to watch Ybarra ever wrestle again. He's brutal. Not anywhere close to B1G level talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lambertt

I thought this too. Some body language in the 3rd by some, while not negative, just looked like an old guy going back to the circle. Just looked different I guess.

Tough for me to grade. We were so close at 133, 141, 174. 197 too. This meet could have played out very differently with just a few tweaks. On paper, 9 of the 10 weights went chalk. We scored the only upset (HWT). We took 2 of their #1 ranked guys to overtime. Came within 1 point of another.

Overall a bad feeling for the team loss and gutted for the individuals who lost. But we're right there with PSU. I'll take that at this point of the year
I'm not happy with the final outcome but you could see in Cael's eyes he thought his guys were further ahead than what happened on the mat. 125 is still a big ? between the two teams if Ayala gets back and begins to peak. Who scores more pts here? AD, JE, MK, and JW are close to pulling of those head to heads. Dean seems to be struggling right now. Finally you could tell Cael was shocked with the HWT outcome. That will also be big for Cass with seeding. Could play a big role into B1G's and Nationals.

125- F. Would have gone C- maybe but getting turned for the major not good. There just isn't any offense there. Not sure Drake wins either.

133- A-, RBY is the more talented wrestler. Austin did better than he has since the last time he won. Was closer than I expected.

141- B-, The TD and ride out to tie was one of his better sequences in a while. I thought both his bad shots were related to some desperation regarding shape. The OT one for sure. The hand is an issue too.

149- A, Typical Max match. He got in on some shots, finished a couple. We needed the win.

157- B+, Won a match he should win but he can do more.

165- A, Great effort to get the major. Berge was simply surviving by the third.

174- A, Gutsy as hell effort with a bad shoulder and bad hand to boot. Kem's bread and butter is that left handed swing single he could previously pull in from a ways away. He can't do that now and his overall HP and explosiveness is also affected. He won the match, the 2 happened before time was up even if the ref blew it. If Kem wrestled like that in the final last year he is champ already. I wish he was healthy but still a shot to win it all.

184- B-, Seemed intimidated at first but toughened up as the match went on.

197- C-, gassed and pissed it away.

285- A+, he wasn't getting picked by many after Kerk beat Parris but really came through with a nice win.

I admire your loyalty, but let's talk grades.
125: F. Literally didn't do anything
133: A-. Took all the shots and lost to a more athletic guy
141: D. Didn't really try anything except for the slide by. Looked lazy.
149: B+. Only guy that looked like he wanted to win.
157: C+. Did just enough
165: A. All heart
174: B. Fought hard but wasn't enough
184: D. Tried his best not to get majored
197: C-. Gave up at the end.
HWt: B+. Won the positions that counted against a more athletic guy.

Team: C. Looked overmatched and the inferior athletes at every weight but 149 and HWt.
D for Assad? He didn't only try his best not to get majored , he didn't.
Looked like Brooks had all he wanted by the end of the match.
Btw, impressed with Brooks sportsmanship.

Last edited:
D for Assad? He didn't only try his best not to get majored , he didn't.
Looked like Brooks had all he wanted by the end of the match. Looked like Brooks respected him.
Btw, impressed with Brooks sportsmanship.
We can agree to disagree, but I didn't see a single attempt to score by Assad. He tried to keep it close and he did.

125, F - Inexcusable lack of aggression, and toughness in the final seconds.
133, C - Average DeSanto, should have finished at least one shot or fought off just ONE.
141, C- - How on God's earth can his wrestling IQ plummet like that? Great throw then multiple brain farts.
149, A - Great job against a guy who didn't want to wrestle
157, B- - Unreal lack of action. I was hoping for a major of their only unranked guy.
165, A - The bull looked like the bull. He bullied Berge.
174, B - He actually won, but Rivera blew the review. Amazing hips, trying Cory Clark merkles due to shoulder.
184, B - Didn't get majored and was able to pull that leg in, but in vain.
197, F - Absolutely inexcusable gassing and lack of toughness in the last few seconds.
HWT, A - Didn't give up. Didn't show fear. Locked up twice and gutted it out.

Heartbreaking to know, that if Warner doesn't have diarrhea in that match, and Rivera doesn't blow the call, we win by the same score they did.

Last edited:
Purely off memory, no rewatch, so i reserve the right to adjust them

125-F. Don't recall a single shot, nor any time he was close to getting off bottom

133- torn here. Got to legs better than every before, but looked like he didn't know what to do once there .. it seems silly to give a close loss to the #1 guy a C, but that's kinda what it feels like

141- similar to above. No doubt he can beat Lee, but wake me up when you do. B-

149- A. Major would have been nice, but this brought the crowd back. Max is a fighter.. Hopefully that sasso match last week showed him how close he is

157-B+. Did what he needed to do. TDs are ok too though

165- A. bull looked as good as he has this year. Loved the energy

174- Same thing as 33&41 on result, but this was A+ effort. No idea how that TD gets erased once it was called. Was it really time, or that he never had control. Kem looked dead to rights several times and used those hips to work out of it. Wish he was 100%

181-c? Brooks is dang good.. abe not there yet. Showed some spunk at the end to get deep on the leg and avoid bonus

197- A for the first 6 minutes, f for the last one. Loved the first period takedown. Got lucky at end of the period.

Hwt- A. Kerk is imposing, but heck of a match, especially after giving up the early TD. Upper body stuff was great, twice I thought he might take him feet to back and get the stick. Kerk will make adjustments in tourney I'm sure, but like cass's confidence.

PSU is dang good. They don't give up TDs, pick their shots and usually capitalize on them. They win scrambles and that leads them to winning most close matches. They don't have the DT, Nolf, Nix, Ruth, etc anymore, but they just keep trucking.

The gap between them and Iowa seems huge, and razor thin all at once. Hope the Hawks can peak in March and reverse a couple of these results
Everything you just wrote is exactly what was in my mind. +1

Reactions: just_somebody
Grades for Eierman are much too low. A- is the right grade.

Nick Lee is scoring at will on everyone all year. Jaydin has deserved low Cs and high Ds most of the year for underperforming and looking uninterested, but tonight was a B+ at the lowest. Didn't come out with the win, but showed a willingness to try something big. The first big attempt almost landed. The second was a total flop. But, importantly, after the failed chest wrap failure, Eierman fought back strong in a composed fashion and had enough in the tank to score late. Sure, Jaydin lost again in overtime to the returning national champion and current #1, bonus-scoring machine--but he lost taking a shot to win it. Stop burying him all year for not taking shots and standing around, and then bury him for attempting big moves and taking shots in OT.

Grades for Eierman are much too low. A- is the right grade.

Nick Lee is scoring at will on everyone all year. Jaydin has deserved low Cs and high Ds most of the year for underperforming and looking uninterested, but tonight was a B+ at the lowest. Didn't come out with the win, but showed a willingness to try something big. The first big attempt almost landed. The second was a total flop. But, importantly, after the failed chest wrap failure, Eierman fought back strong in a composed fashion and had enough in the tank to score late. Sure, Jaydin lost again in overtime to the returning national champion and current #1, bonus-scoring machine--but he lost taking a shot to win it. Stop burying him all year for not taking shots and standing around, and then bury him for attempting big moves and taking shots in OT.
I graded him lower because he did things that he knows better about. He has a great throw attempt, and then an out of position really dumb one resulting in being taken down. And he also got taken down as times expires in a period. You're a scrambler . . . scramble for just a second! Just low wrestling IQ moments as a senior.

He's even lamented about some of this exact thing in his last loss.

Reactions: TarpHawk
33 - B, gotta finish those shots
41- B- just sloppy and bad strategy, Lee won’t go underneath Eierman. He has a point advantage to start the match.
49- A, pure Murin match
57- C, typical Young match
65- A, Bull being Bull
74- A, Kem wrestled a great match, was robbed at least twice. He actually won, still furious
84- C, was hoping for head lock
97- C+, grade suffers for last minute. Keep it together, needs conditioning work
285- A Cass showing Kerk who is boss, mandhandled him

33 - B, gotta finish those shots
41- B- just sloppy and bad strategy, Lee won’t go underneath Eierman. He has a point advantage to start the match.
49- A, pure Murin match
57- C, typical Young match
65- A, Bull being Bull
74- A, Kem wrestled a great match, was robbed at least twice. He actually won, still furious
84- C, was hoping for head lock
97- C+, grade suffers for last minute. Keep it together, needs conditioning work
285- A Cass showing Kerk who is boss, mandhandled him
Chips you are high on Ybarra and low on Young here bud, I also would have Assad at C+ and Warner at C, you cannot get turned there.

F- for the fan who threw a bottle down to the arena floor after the 174 match. That was a tough match and I was mad at the calls too, but no need to throw things down at the opposing wrestlers bench
Absolutely. It came from section C, around row 20'ish, but I didn't see who it was specifically or I would have narced the punk out myself. Very low class move and since it came from so close to so many PSU fans, I am surprised that he wasn't seen.

That said, the security response was also an F, one lone cop showed up after several minutes had elapsed and pretty much stood there for several more minutes before moseying over to closer to where it came from and then did nothing once there.

Terrible thing for someone to do, it socks that they apparently got away with it.

Not going to give my grades because… well… because you don’t care how I’d grade your guys out. I’ll say this though, if I’m a Hawk fan, I’d be more optimistic about the Hawks now than before the match was wrestled. 3 of the 4 returning champs for Penn State won very tight matches. Murin showed he should and probably will place higher than Bartlett. Young is better than anything PSU has at the weight. Hawk fans thought going in that maybe, just maybe Kerk caught up to Cass but now it looks like that’s not the case. Hell, even Assad (who I’ve be preaching all year wont AA ) made a respectable showing. If I’m an Iowa fan,I think I’d be most disappointed in Warner but still gotta think he can possibly place higher than Dean depending on how the brackets shake out. Ayala to me is the biggest news of the night. Him wrestling in March means more than last nights results. If he’s out, huge uphill battle.

Conditioning, conditioning conditioning and possibly pitch counting the hell out of Marinelli, Kem and anyone else with nagging injuries the rest of the season no matter how much the fans bitched about it. If the Hawks can figure out how to peak the weak of Nationals and Ayala is still in the mix then Iowa is certainly still in this thing. And as much as I hate even typing this, things have been running way too smoothly for PSU this year. One injury could derail things pretty quickly.

Yeah, should've thrown it at Angel instead!
I was not able to watch last night. Was the fan ejected. One time in Houston at a HS volleyball match a parent threw a full water bottle at a line judge(a high school kid who is a volunteer) over a line call(which can be overruled by the actual officials). He was tossed and banned for the season. Throwing objects at players/officials is bs. Especially those not wearing any padding.

Last edited:
Absolutely. It came from section C, around row 20'ish, but I didn't see who it was specifically or I would have narced the punk out myself. Very low class move and since it came from so close to so many PSU fans, I am surprised that he wasn't seen.

That said, the security response was also an F, one lone cop showed up after several minutes had elapsed and pretty much stood there for several more minutes before moseying over to closer to where it came from and then did nothing once there.

Terrible thing for someone to do, it socks that they apparently got away with it.
All those people in attendance and no one saw who threw the bottle?

After hearing and and seeing the things I did last nite, I can assure you Iowa fans live up to the cesspool reputation. A gentleman sat beside me lastnite that had his 2 young boys with him for their first Carver dual. By the conclusion of the 141 match he told me he’d never come back, and that he was embarrassed to say he’s an Iowa fan. Idc how many titles you’ve won, idc about a legacy, none of that matters to me when a fan base has the morals of yours. It’s sad the wrestlers get judged by the fans. Truly, truly appalling to sit and listen to it.
Any PSU fan giving morality lectures is a good one. Especially you.

After hearing and and seeing the things I did last nite, I can assure you Iowa fans live up to the cesspool reputation. A gentleman sat beside me lastnite that had his 2 young boys with him for their first Carver dual. By the conclusion of the 141 match he told me he’d never come back, and that he was embarrassed to say he’s an Iowa fan. Idc how many titles you’ve won, idc about a legacy, none of that matters to me when a fan base has the morals of yours. It’s sad the wrestlers get judged by the fans. Truly, truly appalling to sit and listen to it.
I think you are wrong. I really don’t think their wrestlers are judged because of the way their fans carry themselves here. I think most fans have mad respect for their athletes and have nothing but good things to say about them. Well, all but one of them. I’ve met quite a few of them, Spencer, Kem, Max, those kids aren’t fake. They are as they seem to be, polite and very respectful. Most fans know this and don’t hold it against them because of the low class fans here that cry that other programs are cheating, parents and wrestlers taking bribes, wrestlers being on steroids …etc etc…

Reactions: just_somebody
I think you are wrong. I really don’t think their wrestlers are judged because of the way their fans carry themselves here. I think most fans have mad respect for their athletes and have nothing but good things to say about them. Well, all but one of them. I’ve met quite a few of them, Spencer, Kem, Max, those kids aren’t fake. They are as they seem to be, polite and very respectful. Most fans know this and don’t hold it against them because of the low class fans here that cry that other programs are cheating, parents and wrestlers taking bribes, wrestlers being on steroids …etc etc…

I’m not talking about here, I’m talking in person last nite. All the Pa Iowa kids are awesome, super respectful, and I enjoy watching them all compete.

Reactions: MorleysDawg
I have a University of Houston season BB ticket. Fabian White(starting forward for UH) parents sat two rows behind us two years ago. His mother is an absolute idiot the way she yells at the officials. Of course in a D1 arena no one says anything. Anyway Whites sister was a player for the same HS White went to school at in Houston. I ran into her coach at a HS playoff game. The coach(who I have known since she was in college) and I talked about Whites mothers behavior. I asked her if she behaves the same way at her daughters game. She said absolutely not. They had a talk with her about that. Since I was still officiating HS girls at that time I told her if I was assigned to one of their games and she behaved like that she would be out in the car or in the lobby for the rest of the game. For the 90 bucks we get paid to call HS ball we dont have to tolerate that. In D! where its 1K per game its a different story.

If I had been there last night and knew who threw it I would have pointed them out to security. I bet if it had hit one of the officials who knows what would have happened

ADVERTISEMENT