ADVERTISEMENT

PSU grades

Ybarra- If this is it for post season, were not getting points from this weight. F
Desanto- Absolutely no one with more heart and drive. A
Eiermann- This is best 41 we have had for long time if ever. Makes Nick Lee a toss up. A
Murin- Not flashy but steady. Looking like AA to me but wrestling tight. C
KY- Doing the best he can with what he has. He won so good. C
Bull- Been awhile, but hello Bull. A
Kem- Same as Eiermann. Making Starocci a tossup. A
Abe- First match this year that I saw him hesitant but it was Brooks. B
JWar- He can beat and lose to all the top ten at 97. Gas tank is concern. C
Cass- So if Kerk is 3 and Cass is 5, who is 2? Anyhoo, great win. A

Ref- Inconsistent. 1 stall on RBY and Berge gets 3 against Bull? The only difference I can see is the name. I wonder if role was reversed and Star had merkel in, what the call would have been but thats just me questioning Angels bias. He did hold up under extreme heat at Carver. D

Fans were a bit rowdy in C where I was. Im not sure about the beer thing at these college events. Trying to start obscene chants about Rivera was over the top for me. The season tix holders around us are passionate without the extra junk. C

Ybarra- If this is it for post season, were not getting points from this weight. F
Desanto- Absolutely no one with more heart and drive. A
Eiermann- This is best 41 we have had for long time if ever. Makes Nick Lee a toss up. A
Murin- Not flashy but steady. Looking like AA to me but wrestling tight. C
KY- Doing the best he can with what he has. He won so good. C
Bull- Been awhile, but hello Bull. A
Kem- Same as Eiermann. Making Starocci a tossup. A
Abe- First match this year that I saw him hesitant but it was Brooks. B
JWar- He can beat and lose to all the top ten at 97. Gas tank is concern. C
Cass- So if Kerk is 3 and Cass is 5, who is 2? Anyhoo, great win. A

Ref- Inconsistent. 1 stall on RBY and Berge gets 3 against Bull? The only difference I can see is the name. I wonder if role was reversed and Star had merkel in, what the call would have been but thats just me questioning Angels bias. He did hold up under extreme heat at Carver. D

Fans were a bit rowdy in C where I was. Im not sure about the beer thing at these college events. Trying to start obscene chants about Rivera was over the top for me. The season tix holders around us are passionate without the extra junk. C
The only chant I heard was F Penn State. I just laughed. No better place on Earth if you love wrestling. So right now I'll do my one man chant.........F Penn State! 🙂

I seriously can't understand this unending defense of a kid that is in over his head?

You have to be a family friend or relative.

What you responded to was my comparison that he has shown no urgency or attempts to score all season.

I guess he's better than forfeiting the weight.

I agree, he is in over his head. That's why I think coming oh so close to only getting decisioned by the guy who got 4th at NCAA's last year deserves a better grade than an F.

Cass- So if Kerk is 3 and Cass is 5, who is 2?

Barring any crazy results, Schultz from ASU will most likely be the 2 seed.

One of the things that I really liked about the Collegiate Duals was the cross-conference matchups that wouldn't happen otherwise in season that would help settle seeding come NCAA's.

285 was a perfect example of this as ASU and PSU wrestled each other.
Unfortunately, for reasons unknown(probably ducking, but that's just my uninformed opinion) Shultz did not take the mat against Kirkvliet. To Schultz's credit, he sure looked like he was ready to take the mat until Zeke talked to him and by body language appeared to be upset about it...

I agree, he is in over his head. That's why I think coming oh so close to only getting decisioned by the guy who got 4th at NCAA's last year deserves a better grade than an F.
FFS. We're splitting nits. It's an "F" anyway you slice it. If it makes you happy, an "F+".

Maybe he loves it in Iowa City? Maybe his girlfriend is here? Maybe his academic major is an Iowa specialty? Maybe he loves cold weather? Maybe he's a lifelong Hawkeye fan? I can verify without any hesitation that he's accomplished more in wrestling than I ever would/could.

But he's not talented enough to be a starter in Hawkeye wrestling.

Still an F.

FFS. We're splitting nits. It's an "F" anyway you slice it. If it makes you happy, an "F+".

Maybe he loves it in Iowa City? Maybe his girlfriend is here? Maybe his academic major is an Iowa specialty? Maybe he loves cold weather? Maybe he's a lifelong Hawkeye fan? I can verify without any hesitation that he's accomplished more in wrestling than I ever would/could.

But he's not talented enough to be a starter in Hawkeye wrestling.

Still an F.

Agree to disagree. I'd go with C/C-. Would've been a solid B if he could've kept it to a decision.

Reactions: pawrestler4life
125: D is who he is Ayala could be out for awhile but should/could be back for BIGS
133: B-/C+ has to learn how to finish quick if he does he will beat him on pace and heart.
141: B+ Best he has looked all year. Just wrestle smarter and he wins. 2 times he over think it. Before the dual I honestly thought he had 0 chance to beat Lee now I say it’s atleast 40/60
149: B+ He is not flashy kinda a poor man’s Sorensen but he wins matches and was a eyelash away from beating Sasso. Like his chances to AA.
157: C Another match that he won and was never really in danger of losing for a wrestler that sacrificed so much.
165: A Hello Bull as weird as it sounds I glad he lost.
174: B+ Getting closer to being the old Kem. It’s a process and I feel better about him after that match.
184: C Assad is WAY better than his ranking but Brooks is the best wrestler they have.
197: C- Warner was honestly my only real disappointment of the night. While Dean is good I still think he is the most over ranked wrestler in the country. What’s that say about Warner I don’t know.
Hwt: A+ Just did what nobody thought he could! Thanks Cass. They have a argument for him being the 2 in Detroit if he does it again at BIGS I other his win over Schultz last year.

Angel Rivera looks biased against Iowa for whatever reason. Maybe Brands yelled something at him or said something publicly that Rivera cant get over. Everytime that he is involved in a critical Hawk match, he seems to somehow get himself in position to effect the outcome. Then later on he will throw 3 meaningless stall calls against a guy like Berge who had no chance of winning anyway, and were supposed to be like, oh maybe he isnt unfair. I cringe when I see him at NCAA with a Hawk

Dean is over rated. Brucki had his number but gassed also. If Warner wrestles smarter and can stay out of the bow and arrow, it's a win every time. The bow and arrow has to be the worst move to be caught in. Painful as hell and it splits the ref attention from keeping it legal and near fall counting. Dean gets that ankle, you better be swimming for OB.

Last edited:
Reactions: TarpHawk
I'm a section C guy in row 18. I definitely fit the passionate and rowdy description. But in my defense, I'm a high school teacher who is fairly laid back in life, so I let it all out at the duals and usually walk out without my voice. I don't think I go too over the top, but get caught up in the moment at times. Sat next to Bart Chelesvig Friday night, and he was enjoying the atmosphere in our section.

I'm a section C guy in row 18. I definitely fit the passionate and rowdy description. But in my defense, I'm a high school teacher who is fairly laid back in life, so I let it all out at the duals and usually walk out without my voice. I don't think I go too over the top, but get caught up in the moment at times. Sat next to Bart Chelesvig Friday night, and he was enjoying the atmosphere in our section.
Ive never met you but can be pretty sure you would not have tried starting the obscene chant they were, maybe you heard it, I was a few rows behind you and they were somewhere behind us. Wasnt really appropriate for a bar, let alone an arena full of people. I cant stand Rivera, but that was uncalled for.

Charles Matthews' energy reminds me a little of Big E, and there is even a slight resemblance (beyond the yoked physique). I wish he had an E first or last name, cause I'd already be (lovingly) calling him Little E

Looked to me that Ybarra was more offensive than in past matches--wasn't expecting him to take any shots, but he was active, especially in the first. (I didn't go back and re-watch because it wasn't pleasant the first time.)

That said, he's not where he or anyone else thought he'd be at the end of his second year in the room and coming in as a #16 P4P recruit.

I think you have to grade him based on the fact that he's the starter on the Iowa team, not some stranger we picked up at 7-11 and just threw him out there. He knew what he was signing up for, and so far he's not making the grade.

A D without malice.

PSU has a football coach who tried to cover up rape allegations by his players at Vanderbilt. They hired him after the Sandusky mess. Any attempt by any of their fans to take a moral high ground is hypocrisy at its finest.
🖕👃

I think the exciting part about March is we still head to Detroit with bonafide title contenders at 33, 41, 65, and 74. I really believe each and all could win it. Then add in Cass who has top 4 potential. Warner top 4 potential. Murin can get on the stand. I don't see AA stand at 25, 57 and 84 BUT if the title contenders show up, anything can happen.

How awesome would it be to come to Detroit as underdogs and have our super seniors sweep in the finals. They can do it.

We would see coaches refuse some officials if you could also refuse them for the post season. Unfortunately that's impossible so you have to just accept the the good, the bad, the cheaters, and the incompetents.

Under the rules the host team has the right to arrange for a third ref to independently make all mat-side reviews. This way the ref who makes the call on the mat does not sit in judgment of his own call.

Not sure it would make a difference; it might be psychologically difficult for a third ref to overrule the lead mat ref on a close call in a close match when the mat ref is standing right there. Getting a third ref might also be counterproductive in the long-run and end up prejudicing the lead ref against the team that elects to have an independent mat-side reviewing ref. But it's an option.

As for Angel Rivera, I confess to having lurked on the Blue and White Illustrated board right before the match to see how the PSU posters saw the dual shaping up. They were as sure as ours that Rivera was out to get them. To earn the distrust of both fan bases -- quite the accomplishment.

The gap between them and Iowa seems huge, and razor thin all at once. Hope the Hawks can peak in March and reverse a couple of these results

The gap between PSU and Iowa seems huge and razor thin all at once. I agree.

In actual wrestling, it was fairly close. Losing Spencer is a huge hit for Iowa. If Warner could've finished the 197 match like he started, we would've split wins with PSU at 5 each.

Where PSU is far ahead of us is (same old story) is grabbing the very elite guys in their HS recruiting. What they lack, or Cael can't "develop," they grab a proven top tier (high AA) transfer.

125 - top 10 p4p recruit Howard, not getting it done, so in
comes transfer - Hildebrandt - finished 4th in ncaa
133 - returning national champ, RBY, who was #12 P4P out
of HS
141 - returning national champ. Top 10 p4p in HS.

149 - Bartlett, top 10 p4p in HS

157 - basically a nobody. Cael would have to develop
Barraclough... lol. Look for some AA transfer or
top tier HS recruit to replace him in future.

165 - Berge - top 10 p4p HS. Still not developing all that
well.... look for same as at 157.

174 - Starocci - returning ncaa champ, top 10 p4p in HS

184 - Brooks - returning ncaa champ, top 10 p4p in HS

197 - used to be a relative weakness, so Cael grabs ncaa
runnerup Dean.

Hwt - Nevills wasn't going to cut it. Kerkvliet was #1 p4p
in HS.

On paper, PSU should be heavily favored over anyone.

In actual wrestling, it was fairly close. Losing Spencer is a huge hit for Iowa. If Warner could've finished the 197 match like he started, we would've split wins with PSU at 5 each.

Where PSU is far ahead of us is (same old story) is grabbing the very elite guys in their HS recruiting. What they lack, or Cael can't "develop," they grab a proven top tier (high AA) transfer.

125 - top 10 p4p recruit Howard, not getting it done, so in
of HS

197 - used to be a relative weakness, so Cael grabs ncaa
runnerup Dean.

Hwt - Nevills wasn't going to cut it. Kerkvliet was #1 p4p
in HS.

Bingo

125 - top 10 p4p recruit Howard, not getting it done due to shoulder injury, so in
of HS

197 - used to be a relative weakness with returning AA Michael Beard top 10 p4p, so Cael grabs ncaa
runnerup Dean.

Hwt - Nevills top 10 p4p in HS wasn't going to cut it. Kerkvliet was #1 p4p
in HS.

FIFY...anyone that thinks the NCAA Championship is settled hasn't watched too many NCAA Championships play out. There is magic/voodoo lurking in every bracket.

FIFY...anyone that thinks the NCAA Championship is settled hasn't watched too many NCAA Championships play out. There is magic/voodoo lurking in every bracket.
You’ll have to forgive rossel — obsessing about PSU recruits has always been his thing. Now that PSU picked up a couple of good transfers, add that to the schtick of obsessing about all the crimes Cael commits against the Hawkeyes.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
You’ll have to forgive rossel — obsessing about PSU recruits has always been his thing. Now that PSU picked up a couple of good transfers, add that to the schtick of obsessing about all the crimes Cael commits against the Hawkeyes.
Here I thought @rossel 33 posted that as a troll to out lurking PSU fans and refine his ignore list.

Not obsessing, Slush, just updating. It's a new season afterall. And for the record, I've never accused Cael of "crimes", though many (not just me) have wondered how so many top tier recruits can end up at PSU, given a 9.9 scholly limit.

I realize that as a PSU fan, you're obligated to treat guys like Brooks and Kerkvliet (#2 and #1 HS p4p respectively, and both Jr World FS medalists), as being just average recruits, and then Cael somehow magically develops them into stars.

ADVERTISEMENT