ADVERTISEMENT

PSU lands Jaxon Smolik QB from West Des Moines Dowling High School. Previously committed to Tulane.

PennsylvaniaPride

HR Heisman
Jan 4, 2002
Anyone here ever seen him play? His recruitment recently picked up after a stellar performance at Elite 11. From there he started hearing from power 5 schools like Wisconsin, Notre Dame, and a few others. Basically the schools that needed a QB as many of the top 25 ranked QBs are committed.

PSU had QB in the class (Marcus Stokes) but he flipped to his home state school Florida. After some initial interest early on PSU was going to go after ISU commit JJ Kohl, but he is a legacy and odds not good. He is a coaches son and a tall QB. Noticed Iowa has a QB commit from PSU country in South Jersey. Hun School in Princeton usually as some good players.

Btw, I know Des Moines is closer to ISU, but Im assuming a lot of Hawkeye fans there….

He sucks balls… have fun with that one

PSU landed 5 star QB and #1 ranked 247 QB in Drew Allar last year so Jaxon wont be counted on early. (Of course Drew might not pan out) Only a handful of schools like Ohio State and Oklahoma can recruit high ranked QBs annually. Have to have multiple first round picks or recent heisman winners to get there.

• Haha
Reactions: HuskerObsessedHawk
wackaflocka.gif

Anyone here ever seen him play? His recruitment recently picked up after a stellar performance at Elite 11. From there he started hearing from power 5 schools like Wisconsin, Notre Dame, and a few others. Basically the schools that needed a QB as many of the top 25 ranked QBs are committed.

PSU had QB in the class (Marcus Stokes) but he flipped to his home state school Florida. After some initial interest early on PSU was going to go after ISU commit JJ Kohl, but he is a legacy and odds not good. He is a coaches son and a tall QB. Noticed Iowa has a QB commit from PSU country in South Jersey. Hun School in Princeton usually as some good players.

Btw, I know Des Moines is closer to ISU, but Im assuming a lot of Hawkeye fans there….
PSU stole him from Tulane. You got that going for you!
😉

Might not be a bad pickup. Let's say his ceiling is a serviceable backup, PSU sucked once Clifford went down and the backup was playing for Kentucky. Even if this guy does progress he most likely won't leave consider he's going to play for a big time program and many aren't expecting much out of him.

• Wow
Reactions: HuskerObsessedHawk
Athletic (pay site) had a very good article on him last week. Basically the kid didn’t have a lot of tape and many throws from games. Other post mentioned has had some injuries. Had no P5 offers going into summer and committed to Tulane.

But with a last minute drop out he was literally invited last minute to elite 11 camp. He had a tremendous showing against some of the top qb recruits in the nation. All around the whole week he was in top half of everything and not phased by much is what it said and coaches came away very impressed. Article basically said lot of schools like psu who lost qb commit and others without one like cal and Wisconsin immediately came knocking on his door and he decommitted from Tulane shortly after. Long story short a case we see so often in recruiting kid flying under the radar then blows up suddenly.

I trust Penn State’s QB evals over Iowa’s but maybe that’s just me.
FWIW, there have been more ex-Iowa QBs in the league since Ferentz came here than Penn State QBs. I guess Iowa must prepare them better because they definitely haven't come in as highly rated as they have been at Penn State, right?
;)

Des Moines is a Hawkeye City even though it's closer to Ames.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
FWIW, there have been more ex-Iowa QBs in the league since Ferentz came here than Penn State QBs. I guess Iowa must prepare them better because they definitely haven't come in as highly rated as they have been at Penn State, right?
;)
Since 2014 (current staff), PSU has had Hackenberg, McSorley, Levis and Clifford. Iowa has had Rudock, Beathard, Stanley and Petras. I could go through the trouble of posting the lobsided production or you could just admit you’re wrong.

Since 2014 (current staff), PSU has had Hackenberg, McSorley, Levis and Clifford. Iowa has had Rudock, Beathard, Stanley and Petras. I could go through the trouble of posting the lobsided production or you could just admit you’re wrong.
Production, yes, McSorley did the lion's share of that. Sure helped having Barkely. But the league is another matter, right? And running the offense that they do might be great for the B1G but their QBs are going to be running QBs in the NFL.

It seems that you love Penn State. I personally cannot stand their head coach. Their recent history of child abuse sickens me. You might want to go to their site if you think they are so great. Your time here is wasted and not really appreciated.

Reactions: reotto
Production, yes, McSorley did the lion's share of that. Sure helped having Barkely. But the league is another matter, right? And running the offense that they do might be great for the B1G but their QBs are going to be running QBs in the NFL.

It seems that you love Penn State. I personally cannot stand their head coach. Their recent history of child abuse sickens me. You might want to go to their site if you think they are so great. Your time here is wasted and not really appreciated.
This is kind of a silly argument BB. Give me a more effective college QB at Iowa. They don't have to do anything in the league. It's not like highly rated QB recruits are flocking to Iowa because a couple former Hawks had a few backup seasons in the league anyway.

Reactions: littlez
That is about as split even as you can get.

What a bulls*hit response. Sorry you lack any objectivity whatsoever.

This is kind of a silly argument BB. Give me a more effective college QB at Iowa. They don't have to do anything in the league. It's not like highly rated QB recruits are flocking to Iowa because a couple former Hawks had a few backup seasons in the league anyway.
Whatever. My point is that Iowa football is more than win at all costs. Penn State epitomizes that.

Calling out that PSU has had more effective QB play than Iowa means the poster loves PSU and should get off this site? Kind of a crazy tribal response.

I love the hawks but unfortunately our QB play and offense in general has left something to be desired.

Reactions: littlez
Their QB’s have accounted for 67 more TD’s than Iowa’s since Franklin arrived.
Hackenberg was an absolutely terrible QB. Then choosing Levis or Clifford is laughable he has been a bad QB. Look at the RBs and WRs PSU has had. If Franklin gets fired in 3 years it would not surprise me Joe Moorhead saved his job and he now lost his DC.

Hackenberg was an absolutely terrible QB. Then choosing Levis or Clifford is laughable he has been a bad QB. Look at the RBs and WRs PSU has had. If Franklin gets fired in 3 years it would not surprise me Joe Moorhead saved his job and he now lost his DC.
This sounds like a glass houses discussion.... As an Iowa fan I'm not looking to poke fun at any team's QB play. I would have taken a healthy Clifford over Petras last year any day. It's not even a discussion really.

ADVERTISEMENT