ADVERTISEMENT

PSU lands Jaxon Smolik QB from West Des Moines Dowling High School. Previously committed to Tulane.

Hackenberg was an absolutely terrible QB. Then choosing Levis or Clifford is laughable he has been a bad QB. Look at the RBs and WRs PSU has had. If Franklin gets fired in 3 years it would not surprise me Joe Moorhead saved his job and he now lost his DC.
Hackenberg was a 2nd rounder. Levis is a projected 1st rounder. Clifford shredded us until he got hurt.

This sounds like a glass houses discussion.... As an Iowa fan I'm not looking to poke fun at any team's QB play. I would have taken a healthy Clifford over Petras last year any day. It's not even a discussion really.
Last year was the first year Clifford looked like a competent QB. Once Iowa broke him he went back to being bad. Pre 2021 Clifford is about on par with Petras.

This sounds like a glass houses discussion.... As an Iowa fan I'm not looking to poke fun at any team's QB play. I would have taken a healthy Clifford over Petras last year any day. It's not even a discussion really.
That's not the discussion.

Hackenberg was a 2nd rounder. Levis is a projected 1st rounder. Clifford shredded us until he got hurt.
Hackenberg was horrible his best year came when O'Brien was the HC and his completion got worse every single year in college. He is also proof why the Jets continue to be bad. Hackenberg was such a good pick in the 2nd round he was able to play a total of 0 downs in two years before getting traded and cut. If Levis was good why did franklin choose clifford ahead of him? If Levis is drafted in the 1st round he will be a bust. Iowa was also in on Levis way before PSU and he was very close to going to Iowa before PSU was forced to go after him. Looks like Iowa had a pretty good evaluation on Levis.

Reactions: LGEND24
Last year was the first year Clifford looked like a competent QB. Once Iowa broke him he went back to being bad. Pre 2021 Clifford is about on par with Petras.
Seriously??? Clifford's career so far..

School
ConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
*2018Penn StateBig TenFRQB45771.419527.933.620399.7
*2019Penn StateBig TenSOQB1218931959.226548.38.8237148.5
2020Penn StateBig TenJRQB915225160.618837.57.2169137.4
*2021Penn StateBig TenSRQB1326142861.031077.37.4218134.4

These QB performances at the summers camps are all done without any pressure, I assume?

Perhaps he develops into a good college QB. But PSU was desperate after they had the decommit.

Reactions: BBHawk
Seriously??? Clifford's career so far..

School
ConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
*2018Penn StateBig TenFRQB45771.419527.933.620399.7
*2019Penn StateBig TenSOQB1218931959.226548.38.8237148.5
2020Penn StateBig TenJRQB915225160.618837.57.2169137.4
*2021Penn StateBig TenSRQB1326142861.031077.37.4218134.4
Are you going to call these good games in 2019? Then in 2020 he followed it up by starting 0-5 and getting benched in the process.

Sat 11/23@OSU2OSUL
28-17
Sat 11/16vsINDINDW
34-27
Sat 11/9@MINN17MINNL
31-26
Sat 10/26@MSUMSUW
28-7
Sat 10/19vsMICH16MICHW
28-21
Sat 10/12@IOWA17IOWAW
17-12

I don't like Penn State. I think their coach is a cheat. If that makes me less objective, so be it.

let’s not forget they have the trashiest fan base in the country. Op was one of the many talking mad shit after last years game.

there is no such school called WEST des Moines Dowling. tis called Dowling catholic
There is. It’s just a description of Dowling’s location.

Up until about 10-15 years ago, they happily went by Dowling. It was always referred to as West Des Moines Dowling. I assume when they moved from Des Moines just East of Sixth Avenue, they started going by West Des Moines Dowling? I’m not old enough to remember when they moved.

Whether you call it Dowling, West Des Moines Dowling, or Dowling Catholic, we all know who is being referred to.

The old Dowling was at 9th and College, so WEST OF 6th Ave. but why would I be surprised at misinformation about Dowling - I’ve lived it my whole life.

As for QB Smolek, he’s not B1G material from what I’ve seen, and I’ve seen him about 10 times by now. We shall see but my gut says a non-factor for PSU. Now, that said I’ll happily update my thoughts as I’ll be watching him quite a bit this fall.

by the way, I told you all that Ryan Boyle was never going to be any good at Iowa. Go search the posts if you wish. I’ve been here for over 21 years now

Reactions: PennsylvaniaPride
The old Dowling was at 9th and College, so WEST OF 6th Ave. but why would I be surprised at misinformation about Dowling - I’ve lived it my whole life.

As for QB Smolek, he’s not B1G material from what I’ve seen, and I’ve seen him about 10 times by now. We shall see but my gut says a non-factor for PSU. Now, that said I’ll happily update my thoughts as I’ll be watching him quite a bit this fall.

by the way, I told you all that Ryan Boyle was never going to be any good at Iowa. Go search the posts if you wish. I’ve been here for over 21 years now

Oh, boy. I’ll get right on fact checking you!

Sorry for the continued hardship of misrepresenting…Dowling 🙄.

Yes, West of 6th. I mistyped that. I think it might be the Grubb YMCA now? Old North High School was near there too.

Last edited:
Reactions: littlez

Just saw that PSU got a 4* 2024 QB CB prediction.

Hope he does well when not facing the Hawks...but Smolik will be in the portal within 2 years, imo.

Last edited:
He’s no good, I just watched him stink it up BIG TIME. Against SePolk.

I’d pull the s Holly he’s that bad.

Apologies for the posts that weren’t as fluid as we all wished. I meant to offer a real time account of Smolek, sorry, he’s not PSU material and EVERY fan I spoke with agreed. It’s unbelievable he got an offer but whatever, I’m happy PSU is dumb,

Apologies for the posts that weren’t as fluid as we all wished. I meant to offer a real time account of Smolek, sorry, he’s not PSU material and EVERY fan I spoke with agreed. It’s unbelievable he got an offer but whatever, I’m happy PSU is dumb,

Do they want him at QB?

Do they want him at QB?

I don’t know, maybe they don’t, but I thought so. I wish I never said anything actually….

unfortunately there’s another terrible story tonight that will overshadow the game. His sister was attacked in the stands. I’ve seen video and it’s not good.

you know what? I’m out of this thread I think. It’s not worth it once (if) you see it. There’s video around.

I don’t know, maybe they don’t, but I thought so. I wish I never said anything actually….

unfortunately there’s another terrible story tonight that will overshadow the game. His sister was attacked in the stands. I’ve seen video and it’s not good.

you know what? I’m out of this thread I think. It’s not worth it once (if) you see it. There’s video around.
Don't see it anywhere.

Since 2014 (current staff), PSU has had Hackenberg, McSorley, Levis and Clifford. Iowa has had Rudock, Beathard, Stanley and Petras. I could go through the trouble of posting the lobsided production or you could just admit you’re wrong.
To an extent I agree, but it’s not an apples-to-apples comparison. The Iowa offense isn’t exactly “quarterback friendly.”

no, he really was that unimpressive.

if you disagree please tell me why?

Maybe because you're an anonymous shitbag looking to argue against the opinions of people who have evaluated football talent for years at the highest level of college football. At a pretty decent program. How about you just fall asleep for a very long time.

ADVERTISEMENT