ADVERTISEMENT

PSU & Nebraska

Hawk_4shur

HR Legend
Jan 2, 2009
I don't know how well either of those teams will do this year, but it's clear that they were stronger, faster and more athletic than Iowa by a long way. They were quicker to the ball and stronger with the ball.

I have said for decades that Iowa basketball can't win with freshman and sophs. The recruits the Hawks get are not physically ready to play in the B1G.

So, now Iowa has a team that's pretty experienced by today's standards - Perk, CMac, PMac, Filip, Kris - all with a ton of experience. Ulis is in his 3rd year. And they are still not strong enough or athletic enough or fast enough to play with two teams that weren't expected to do a lot in the B1G this year. The Hawks simply get pushed around inside and out - so their only "weapon" is the 3 pt shot and when they shoot in the 20-30% range they don't have much of a chance.

It's true this team doesn't play even decent defense, but I saw many, many times that the Hawks had good defensive position and the Lions just scored over, around and through them.

Right now, Iowa doesn't have a roster of guys that can compete physically, which in today's game is a huge disadvantage.

I don't know how well either of those teams will do this year, but it's clear that they were stronger, faster and more athletic than Iowa by a long way. They were quicker to the ball and stronger with the ball.

I have said for decades that Iowa basketball can't win with freshman and sophs. The recruits the Hawks get are not physically ready to play in the B1G.

So, now Iowa has a team that's pretty experienced by today's standards - Perk, CMac, PMac, Filip, Kris - all with a ton of experience. Ulis is in his 3rd year. And they are still not strong enough or athletic enough or fast enough to play with two teams that weren't expected to do a lot in the B1G this year. The Hawks simply get pushed around inside and out - so their only "weapon" is the 3 pt shot and when they shoot in the 20-30% range they don't have much of a chance.

It's true this team doesn't play even decent defense, but I saw many, many times that the Hawks had good defensive position and the Lions just scored over, around and through them.

Right now, Iowa doesn't have a roster of guys that can compete physically, which in today's game is a huge disadvantage.
A lot of the strength issues probably deal with the the strength and conditioning coach and what program they run. It appears Iowa wants long and lean players. When Nunge went to Xavier he was so much bigger physically than he was at Iowa, and that was only his first year in their program.

I thought the Seton Hall win was decent but the Pirates are getting thrashed by Creighton right now. McDermott coaches a well rounded game of fundamentals - Offense and defense - transition and press.

I thought the Seton Hall win was decent but the Pirates are getting thrashed by Creighton right now. McDermott coaches a well rounded game of fundamentals - Offense and defense - transition and press.

Clemson is the only win we might be able to say "hey, look who we beat" right now.

ADVERTISEMENT