ADVERTISEMENT

PSU pbp

Take away from the dual is encouraged that the Hawks are right there to still win the title, even without Lee. The dual is a tie if they call 174 correctly.
If Ayala can get healthy enough..? (hope it's not season ending serious, that would be a bummer all around) R12/Possible AA
DeSanto 1/2/3
Eierman 1/2/3
Murin R12/Possible AA
Young R12/Possible AA
Marinelli Top 4-5 - Title contender
Kemerer 1/2
Assad R12/Possible AA
Warner Top 4-5 - Title contender
Cassioppi 2/3

That's still some serious tournament power. PSU will be getting little from 149-165. It will come down to winning the head to heads against them at the key weights (133/141/174/197), namely most of the weights that we all lost tonight, plain and simple.

Guys get banged up, stop bringing up injuries. Too many hawks are gassing late or just lackluster in their movements.
Guys being unable to wrestle isn't banged up. If Brooks blows his knee out and can't wrestle it matters. Kemerer's shoulder injury matters he can't suck in shots. Ayala's injury matters.

So no I'm not going to pretend like injuries aren't factors. Honestly they are tremendously impactful in an individual sport like wrestling.

Reactions: GoHawks1996
Warner’s tank seems to be a major issue and Eierman seems to be just as distracted as ADS was last year with the thumb wrap. Crappy loss but we did a lot of good things too

Reactions: GlenHawk
Both teams wrestled really well IMO. 4 matches could go the other way next time including HWT because Carl won’t let Kerk go upper body again.
Not sure about that, Kirk seems to like that position too. You can't always pick your move, sometimes it's initiated by the wrestler then you have to defend.
Marinelli and Cenzo had epic upper body battles.
Big Cass is the reigning under 23 world champion. Pretty sure he's very good at Greco-Roman too.
He's no slouch.

Reactions: redghost1974
Not sure about that, Kirk seems to like that position too. You can't always pick your move, sometimes it's initiated by the wrestler then you have to defend.
Marinelli and Cenzo had epic upper body battles.
Big Cass is the reigning under 23 world champion. Pretty sure he's very good at Greco-Roman too.
He's no slouch.
I hope you’re right. With Kerks length I hope he locks up like that again. I don’t think that’s his best strategy.

LOL, you go tell those wrestlers they didn't show up! Simple as that! you my friend are an Id---! They got beat by a better team. They all showed up!
Actually Kem had two, got robbed. Tie match, now what? Looked pretty even though we were missing a major hammer named Lee.
Penn State is great but this was not a blowout.
Really impressed with Asad to keep it to a decision.
Loved Brooks sportsmanship.
Agree, Hawks gave it their all.

Reactions: Boro407 and moug
It was an entertaining meet and i honestly feel better about 133, 141 and 174 than i did going in. Those matches are very winnable at big tens/ncaas and they were right there fpr the taking (kemerer actually was there). The loss feels like a punch to the gut but i dont feel hopeless for hawks going forward

in the close matches iowa got tired in, which was the question - 141, 174, 197 - psu wrestled a higher pace. they were fresher at the end and won.
I mean look at Kem, he's got more wraps holding his body together than most teams combined, probably pretty tough to get a lot of conditioning in. Jacob and Eierman, no comment on that they definitely gassed.

But you can't say those three and leave out the rest and just say PSU's pace is built different.

Drake, ADS, Max, Marinelli, Assad, Cass all push the pace and stay rock solid the full 7.

I mean look at Kem, he's got more wraps holding his body together than most teams combined, probably pretty tough to get a lot of conditioning in. Jacob and Eierman, no comment on that they definitely gassed.

But you can't say those three and leave out the rest and just say PSU's pace is built different.

Drake, ADS, Max, Marinelli, Assad, Cass all push the pace and stay rock solid the full 7.
fair. i was just answering the question. in those matches, psu pushed the pace and won because of it.

Reactions: GoHawks1996
in the close matches iowa got tired in, which was the question - 141, 174, 197 - psu wrestled a higher pace. they were fresher at the end and won.
174 you're wrong. Starocci was completely gassed along with Kem. Again two matches Penn state pushed pace. 141 and 184. Maybe you could throw 197 in there. RBY did nothing. Berge did nothing. Kerk did nothing. 49 and 57 did nothing. That's half the team. You can't say Hildebrand pushed pace. Neither did 65. Stop with the narrative that Iowa couldn't handle the pace.

Anyone else ready to turn the page on these seniors?

robert-de-niro-what-are-you.gif

That's how I felt standing in the beer line at Carver when they said Ybarra was going. The margin got razor thin.
That was a bad omen for sure, so spoiled on Spencer, even Drake is a warrior. Not sure Drake could have beaten him but it would have been a major battle.
Huge letdown.

Penn state has become Oklahoma state. What happened to the aggressive majoring machine they were supposed to be?
I agree. Definitely a different type of psu but they were like this last year too. This isn’t the team that just blows your guys out of the water. They’re happy to win close matches. Askren made some pretty good points about this awhile back on Flo radio.

ADVERTISEMENT