ADVERTISEMENT

PSU vs Iowa

Good luck! I'm a Canadian Walleye guy. Simple lead head jigs with a salted minnow. It's all in the touch. I even find trolling for Walleyes pretty low-brow.
I’ve walleye fished plenty in my life. Walleye and Bass guys tend to rub shoulders from time to time. My best friend from HS is a professional walleye angler. Love to eat them! Next time you are in Canada, try and catch some of those Little Rock bass. Bastards are better eating than Perch….I know, hard to believe, but true!

Z

Reactions: el dub
Do I dare start another bitter battle? I find fishing for bass, especially Largemouth, to be mindless. Throwing a spinner off a bunch of weeds is not overly difficult. Walleyes, on the other hand, are more of a challenge and offer a world class meal at the end of the day. Smallmouth's are a lot of fun, I'll give you that!
I go for world class fights. (Northern Pike.) Walleye don’t make the grade unless hooked on dorsal fin and reeled in sideways. ( Y bones are easy enough to remove.)

Reactions: Mike Zierath
I have seen a lot of crazy things happen in Carver good and bad over the years. Let’s just talk recently the great Mark Hall is 0-2 in Carver Bull lost his last time vs psu, Ramos and Kemerer blew the roof off of the place. Bottom line is I like the Hawks chances at 149, 157 & 165 but feel like 184 is all psu and hope we don’t give up bonus pts here. The rest are true tossups so hoping a little Carver magic puts us over the hump. On the other hand it would not hurt my feelings all that much if we got beat.
Don't forget ADS beating Nicky "Transfers".

I’ve walleye fished plenty in my life. Walleye and Bass guys tend to rub shoulders from time to time. My best friend from HS is a professional walleye angler. Love to eat them! Next time you are in Canada, try and catch some of those Little Rock bass. Bastards are better eating than Perch….I know, hard to believe, but true!

Z
I go too far north - Northwest Ontario almost where the road ends. Pretty much only Walleye, Sauger, Pike, White Fish and Perch. Lake Trout if the lakes is deep enough.

sorry. i tend to do that.

bass fishing is fun. but the easiest catch in the whole wide world. they're dumb.

the smarter the fish, the harder the catch.

bass fishing is fun. but the easiest catch in the whole wide world. they're dumb.

Like this

No such thing as dumb fish or dumb questions, just dumb people.

Z
Yeah, those rock bass are good bait for river flatheads.

Bass fishing is for morons. Literally the easiest fishing that exists.
False. They are indeed not "literally the easiest fishing that exists" That would be Bluegill, sunfish or stocked Trout(fishing in a barrel).

Yes, large mouth are still pretty easy to catch overall. They do adapt well in many different environments however, have knowledge of where they have been, and are going. And it's rare to catch a 6+ pounder here in the Midwest even though they're in there.

Now small mouth bass fishing on the Rivers and streams is another story. They can be quite the challenge to reel in.. if they bite. They fight hard and don't tire easily. That's my favorite kind of fishing other than catching Walleye with shallow divers in Minnesota.

At the risk of hi-jacking the thread…..it ain’t as easy as you might think. A friend, just a year ago, came down in the middle of February and caught the biggest largemouth in the last 25 years in the state of Texas. 16lbs 4oz. That’s a big one! I’m on a quest of my own this year, just to catch my first double digit fish! Most bass fisherman go their whole life and never accomplish that. I don’t want to be one of those guys. That’s why, in 2.5 weeks, a couple of my really good tournament friends are coming down and we are hitting it hard for a solid week and see what happens. Hell, if you catch a 13lb’er here in Texas, you get, among other things, a replica mount and a lifetime Texas fishing license. Just one, that’s all I want!

Z
You speak the truth, Mike. My partner and I have fished at least 300 tournaments in the last six years here in TN and have never caught a large mouth bass over 7 pounds. This spring we're going to spend a weekend at Lake Chickamauga to see if we can catch one of those double digit Florida strain largemouth bass. Like you said, hooking a double digit is no easy task and landing it, even more daunting. An old Army friend retired and opened a bait/tackle shop on Lake Fork, where he's fishing while his wife and son man the shop. He catches those double digit monsters every year.

Bass fishing is for morons. Literally the easiest fishing that exists.
Smalls, I think you're recalling your days on the pond fishing for bluegill and sunfish...or perhaps you're referring to netting minnows. But it's very clear you haven't been tournament bass fishing. It's a brutal sport with even the best in the world getting shutout some days on the lake.

If smallmouths ran to salt like steelhead and got the same boost in attitude nobody would ever fish for anything else.
You're right about that, Mike! Largemouth fishing is game on, but the one time you hook into a two-pound smallie you think you've got a monster largemouth until the smallie goes airborne. No greater pound for pound fight than those smallies.

You're right about that, Mike! Largemouth fishing is game on, but the one time you hook into a two-pound smallie you think you've got a monster largemouth until the smallie goes airborne. No greater pound for pound fight than those smallies.
Let’s see…. You gots your large mouths, small mouths and the hybrid Smalls with a big mouth.

Smalls,
Did you ever try to snag some shad out of Delaware.????
A big American roe shad will pull an equal size bigmouth backward for an hour.

Fishing out of Fletcher’s boathouse on the Potomac I’ve had American shad on where I’ve feared for my 7/8 fly rod more than I did on the same rod with 12 pound steelhead.

Last edited:
Reactions: WildTurk
You speak the truth, Mike. My partner and I have fished at least 300 tournaments in the last six years here in TN and have never caught a large mouth bass over 7 pounds. This spring we're going to spend a weekend at Lake Chickamauga to see if we can catch one of those double digit Florida strain largemouth bass. Like you said, hooking a double digit is no easy task and landing it, even more daunting. An old Army friend retired and opened a bait/tackle shop on Lake Fork, where he's fishing while his wife and son man the shop. He catches those double digit monsters every year.
What’s his name? I’m all over Fork!

Let’s see…. You gots your large mouths, small mouths and the hybrid Smalls with a big mouth.
World record “mean mouth” was caught this month at OH Ivie. Young man I happen to know. 8.31lbs. That’s a cross between a spot and a smallie normally. At Ivie, it’s smallie and Florida strain. Crazy! Ok, im done.

Reactions: el dub
What’s his name? I’m all over Fork!
Charles Guthrie...he's a retired Army Military Policeman. He owned Tightlines Premium Fishing Tackle before moving on to a more normal career in that area...well normal but still involved with fishing. He's a Sales Representative/PRO-Staff Manager for BIOBOR Fuel Additives/ArmyBassAnglers. Haven't talked to him or his fam in a couple years, but I still see pictures of monsters he's posing with from time to time.

Have you ever been to Lake Tansi outside of Crossville? Bought my first house there. Miss it there.

This new guy, Mike Z, keeps liking a lot of my posts and twitter videos.

Kinda creepy....

Is he some kinda stalker or what.............

;)

Z
Rock bass better than perch .... lmao
I hate those little red eyed bastards.
I love to fish for about everything. Walleye, bass, panfish, pike, but I have an obsession when it comes to Muskies.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT