MVPFAN

HR Legend
Mar 10, 2003
125- have to favor Hildebrandt here on experience alone. 0-3

133- love Austin and our most consistent guy but RBY is a tough matchup. 0-6

141- not seeing a win over Lee based on the season so far. 0-9

149- Max needs to show up like last night. Important match for seeding. 3-9

157- have to win here period. 6-9

165- Bull should be motivated. Losing not an option. Berge likes ankle pick and go behind off other guys shot. 9-9 but hoping Bull takes it to him.

174- Kem with good shoulder and top cardio form I pick at home but not quite there. 9-12.

184- Abe needs to battle to keep it a decision. 9-15

197- Dean has looked better, have to pick him at this point. 9-18

284- Kerk looking better too. 9-21.

We need to win the 3 we are favored and pull 2 upsets to win this. Ayala probably best shot. Jaydin, Kem, Warner and Cass with a chance too. Austin probably less likely IMO.

165- Bull should be motivated. Losing not an option. Berge likes ankle pick and go behind off other guys shot. 9-9 but hoping Bull takes it to him.

174- Kem with good shoulder and top cardio form I pick at home but not quite there. 9-12.

We need to win the 3 we are favored and pull 2 upsets to win this. Ayala probably best shot. Jaydin, Kem, Warner and Cass with a chance too. Austin probably less likely IMO.
Those are very realistic picks and expectations.

I am hoping for a little Carver magic.

That got me thinking about what is Carver magic?? It probably has more to do with the refs calling stalling appropriately and making wrestlers wrestle than the Iowa wrestlers outperforming.

If last nights meet was in Carver,
Heinselman gets dinged for stalling for constantly retreating and has to wrestle Drake. Drake doesn’t have to chase him and doesn’t get caught going forward for a couple TDs. Drake probably gets another TD or two. Drake wins.

Karchla gets called for stalling and can’t constantly retreat. Bull gets a TD or two when Karchla actually has to stand in front of him and wins.

Murin and Assad still lose unless they find that little extra something from the crowd and pull off the upsets.

We could have potentially ran the table at home.

Against Penn State, Ayala probably has a better chance at home - as does DeSanto, Murin, Young, Bull, and Kem - based solely on the refs making their opponents actually wrestle instead of run. And then we need the crowd to will one of our underdogs to victory.

Mostly agree, but I think we get one W out of either Warner or Cass. 12-18.

Who has Hildebrandt ever beaten? Kem at home against stalling Starr, I’ll take Kemdog. Kerk isn’t getting those snatches against Cass. I’m not sure Lee wrestles
Hildebrandt has had a nice career. Was 4th last year. On paper he is favored. Why the hell wouldn't Lee wrestle? You might have noticed he did last night. Kem could win but Starocci is ranked first and defending champ. Kerk just handled a guy Cass hasn't touched. He is taller than Cass, weighs the same now and is more athletic. Cass will need to bring serious A game to win.

only chips could ask “who has the returning 4th place beaten?” the morning after our 125 loses to a guy with 2 career wins at ncaa’s.
I agree that Hildebrandt is the favorite, but he is not impressive IMO. Doesn't score much and seems to be fine with winning close matches instead of getting majors. That is a good way to lose. Look at the Hawks last night.

Reactions: SDHN2013

Are you an accountant, or work in risk analysis? Just the facts, devoid of any passion or optimism, let's expect the worst and hope to not be destroyed?! I'm guessing you've never been a leader of a team or organization, where you need to inspire and have hope for success. Why not throw in a pin by Lee at 141 and Kerk at "284." Major by Brooks and Dean is likely.

Definitely not an Iowa fan (which stands for fanatic). Not sure you could have written more pessimistic predictions. I'm surprised that you are "hoping" Marinelli will win.

• Haha
Reactions: MVPFAN and Exo
Are you an accountant, or work in risk analysis? Just the facts, devoid of any passion or optimism, let's expect the worst and hope to not be destroyed?! I'm guessing you've never been a leader of a team or organization, where you need to inspire and have hope for success. Why not throw in a pin by Lee at 141 and Kerk at "284." Major by Brooks and Dean is likely.

Definitely not an Iowa fan (which stands for fanatic). Not sure you could have written more pessimistic predictions. I'm surprised that you are "hoping" Marinelli will win.
Yes Iowa fans wear their TnT pajamas and pick everyone to win, most by fall.

125 PSU 3-0
133 RBY 6-0
141 Lee 9-0
149 Murin 9-3
157 Young 9-6
165 Bull 9-9
174 Kem 9-12
184 Brooks 12-12
197 Dean 15-12
285 Cass 15-15

I see it like this. Pretty much every match in this dual is a coin flip. Iowa has to win 49,57,65. If Ayala can win 25 that would be big. We need to win one of 41 or 74 and one of 97 or 285. If we do that we win. With the exception of Brooks we can and have won every match. Boys just need to go out there be smart and fight for Iowa.

this is such an annoying thing that’s way too prevalent on this board. lamenting underperformance is an essential part of being a fan. there’s nothing “anti-iowa” about having a realistic prediction based on how both teams have been wrestling this year. psu’s hammers are firing on all cylinders and winning close matches against top competition. iowa’s are not.

remember, the last time they came into carver they punched iowa in the mouth early and it took a huge upset by kem to save a dual that they were heavily favored in.

125 I have a good feeling about drake, but this is a tough style match up and he’s absolutely the favorite based on experience and credentials. 3-0 iowa

133 rby looks better than ever and has owned desanto for 2 years. 3-3 psu

141 lee won the last match up and has looked much better than eierman this year. 6-3 psu

149 biggest true toss up imo. feels like rideouts to me. gut tells me bartlett. 9-3 psu

157 god help us if we lose this one 9-6 psu

165 this version of bull will likely be tied 1-1 in the third with berge. i’ll give him the benefit of the doubt but wouldn’t be shocked to see berge snake this one. he has to start scoring. 9-9

174 starocci won the last one and kem isn’t 100%. 12-9 psu

184 different level 16-9 psu

197 dean finds ways to win. wins this late when warner fades. 19-9 psu

285 kerk is healthy and tony no longer has the size advantage. i think he’s more athletic and is wrestling to his potential.

22-9 psu final

gave iowa an upset at 125 and psu one at 149. everything else chalk. hope the boys have been peaking for this one and come out like they did the last 2 years.

Good grief, everyone anointing PSU after beating up on an uninspired Michigan that crapped the bed.

Even in their wins, Michigan looked flat.

125. - Drake is quick. And Heiselman's quickness and stalling threw him off. Hiledrbant is the type of guy Drake matches up well against.
133 - It will be tough to win but he actually does have wins against him so not crazy to think we can take this match.
141 - See 133.
149 - Murin is better than Beau. Need to win this match.
157 - see 149
165 - see 165
174 - Kemerer is better than Carter. Kem's finishes are why he can beat guys like Hall and Carter. In Carver he wins.
184 - Tough Sledding here.
197 - I don't care if you don't like Warner's style he is kinda good at what he does. Wait for the other guy to mess up with a bad shot and wrestle great on the mat. Warner is a bigger and better version of Dean.
HWT - Gonna give this to Cass until Kerk proves me wrong. Not taking a ton from the Parris match. Michigan looked like they trained wrong or something and Kerk had a game plan that worked like a charm.

If we come out like Michigan it could get ugly. I don't see that happening.

Other than 84 and 57 every match is a legit toss-up.

Will both squads send out their full team of starters? With the way resting and seed protecting goes I wouldn’t be surprised if the big matchups don’t happen.
covid would be the most likely reason. otherwise i’d be really surprised. maybe kem out against starocci considering the injury, but both coaches take this dual very seriously.

Good grief, everyone anointing PSU after beating up on an uninspired Michigan that crapped the bed.

Even in their wins, Michigan looked flat.

125. - Drake is quick. And Heiselman's quickness and stalling threw him off. Hiledrbant is the type of guy Drake matches up well against.
133 - It will be tough to win but he actually does have wins against him so not crazy to think we can take this match.
141 - See 133.
149 - Murin is better than Beau. Need to win this match.
157 - see 149
165 - see 165
174 - Kemerer is better than Carter. Kem's finishes are why he can beat guys like Hall and Carter. In Carver he wins.
184 - Tough Sledding here.
197 - I don't care if you don't like Warner's style he is kinda good at what he does. Wait for the other guy to mess up with a bad shot and wrestle great on the mat. Warner is a bigger and better version of Dean.
HWT - Gonna give this to Cass until Kerk proves me wrong. Not taking a ton from the Parris match. Michigan looked like they trained wrong or something and Kerk had a game plan that worked like a charm.

If we come out like Michigan it could get ugly. I don't see that happening.

Other than 84 and 57 every match is a legit toss-up.
Those who were at Carver Hawkeye two years ago would tend to view things the way that you stated. That was the greatest sporting event I've ever attended.

Reactions: pml_dad
If the Hawks wrestle like they did against OSU then I think we will lose. Hawks need to be fired up and in the right state of mind. I'm glad this one is in Carver... Hopefully they wrestle to score points and win, and not this defensive "Not to lose" mentality where our guys stand there and dance only to end up losing late in the 3rd period. Against Penn State you gotta wrestle differently. You gotta go "pedal to the metal" for 7 minutes...

Reactions: SDHN2013

get a grip. he just pointed out what the possibly is based on ratings and performances so far this year.

covid would be the most likely reason. otherwise i’d be really surprised. maybe kem out against starocci considering the injury, but both coaches take this dual very seriously.
I agree with kem. Also could see 141 missing a guy

If the Hawks wrestle like they did against OSU then I think we will lose. Hawks need to be fired up and in the right state of mind. I'm glad this one is in Carver... Hopefully they wrestle to score points and win, and not this defensive "Not to lose" mentality where our guys stand there and dance only to end up losing late in the 3rd period. Against Penn State you gotta wrestle differently. You gotta go "pedal to the metal" for 7 minutes...
spot on. psu owns the 3rd period. saw someone point out on twitter that they do this with their chain wrestling. that continuous flow from position to position puts so much pressure on opponents who aren’t used to it and they can’t keep up for 7 minutes. look at the dean match last night. he got beat for 2 periods, but even when brucki was scoring, dean made it so hard on him. by the third he was out of gas.

the hawks in comparison are still using the old school “pull on his head” until he fades. it just doesn’t work the same anymore. when is the last time you saw a hawk really break someone with that approach? it’s too hard to do in this day where nutrition, training methods, and cutting are much more advanced.

this is such an annoying thing that’s way too prevalent on this board. lamenting underperformance is an essential part of being a fan. there’s nothing “anti-iowa” about having a realistic prediction based on how both teams have been wrestling this year. psu’s hammers are firing on all cylinders and winning close matches against top competition. iowa’s are not.

remember, the last time they came into carver they punched iowa in the mouth early and it took a huge upset by kem to save a dual that they were heavily favored in.

125 I have a good feeling about drake, but this is a tough style match up and he’s absolutely the favorite based on experience and credentials. 3-0 iowa

141 lee won the last match up and has looked much better than eierman this year. 6-3 psu

149 biggest true toss up imo. feels like rideouts to me. gut tells me bartlett. 9-3 psu

165 this version of bull will likely be tied 1-1 in the third with berge. i’ll give him the benefit of the doubt but wouldn’t be shocked to see berge snake this one. he has to start scoring. 9-9

285 kerk is healthy and tony no longer has the size advantage. i think he’s more athletic and is wrestling to his potential.

22-9 psu final

gave iowa an upset at 125 and psu one at 149. everything else chalk. hope the boys have been peaking for this one and come out like they did the last 2 years.

You truly are a brave soul posting that prediction. (I can't say I disagree with you but I'm a Penn State fan.)

get a grip. he just pointed out what the possibly is based on ratings and performances so far this year.
Huh? "the possibly" "ratings" ?? o_O Yeah, I'm the chief of the grammar police. ;)

Every day in all sports there are games and matches that don't go according to rankings or recent performances. As the saying goes, that's why they play the game. Just look at a week in the NFL -- teams with better records lose to teams with worse records. Same with baseball, basketball, hockey, tennis....and wrestling! I'll wager any amount that at least one (probably several) lower ranked wrestler beats a higher ranked wrestler in the Iowa-PSU dual.

Reactions: GoHawks1996

22-9 psu final

49 is a tossup? Would be news to anyone else. Kem loses because you think he isn’t 100%, newsflash no one is 100%. Tony only beat Kerk because of his size roflmao

spot on. psu owns the 3rd period. saw someone point out on twitter that they do this with their chain wrestling. that continuous flow from position to position puts so much pressure on opponents who aren’t used to it and they can’t keep up for 7 minutes. look at the dean match last night. he got beat for 2 periods, but even when brucki was scoring, dean made it so hard on him. by the third he was out of gas.

the hawks in comparison are still using the old school “pull on his head” until he fades. it just doesn’t work the same anymore. when is the last time you saw a hawk really break someone with that approach? it’s too hard to do in this day where nutrition, training methods, and cutting are much more advanced.
Psu did not invent chain wrestling. Old school Iowa was just that. Mac would have guys head spinning, keeping up with his different attacks . The Brands would have you dead tired from fending off attacks for 7 mins. Ironside attacked the whole
Match and didn’t look for stalemates…. See a theme here? You need to attack to get guys tired.

Dean wore his guy out by stalling riding him for 2 mins

Last edited:
Psu did not invent chain wrestling. Old school Iowa was just that. Mac would have your head spinning. brands would have you dead tired from fending off attacks for 7 mins. Ironside never let you rest…
didn’t say they invented it. they just do it better than anybody, as a team, right now.

22-9 psu final

Wouldn't ever call Kem over Hall a "huge upset". Fully healthy Kem gives Spencer a run for his money.

And if you're gonna say a huge upset at 74 let us win against them, then a huge upset at 65 and a huge upset at 33 is the only reason they had a chance in the first place.

ADVERTISEMENT