ADVERTISEMENT

PSU vs Iowa

Rock bass better than perch .... lmao
I hate those little red eyed bastards.
I love to fish for about everything. Walleye, bass, panfish, pike, but I have an obsession when it comes to Muskies.
I love Pike fishing as well. Have caught a few Muskie, gotta watch how you handle those damn fish, they will slice you open! (Experience speaking).

I do quite a bit of off shore fishing as well! Fun stuff!

Was avoiding these PSU threads like the plague, only popped in to see if the Mineo twitter stuff had been posted yet.

Saw it was now a fishing thread, and now im going back and reading the whole thing :)

I'm going down to the Destin/PCB area for spring break, looking to book a fishing trip for the kids if anyone has recommendations.

Reactions: Spicolli
I go too far north - Northwest Ontario almost where the road ends. Pretty much only Walleye, Sauger, Pike, White Fish and Perch. Lake Trout if the lakes is deep enough.
Have we talked about this before? My family has a fly-in place up that way, we fly out of Red Lake

Was avoiding these PSU threads like the plague, only popped in to see if the Mineo twitter stuff had been posted yet.

Saw it was now a fishing thread, and now im going back and reading the whole thing :)

I'm going down to the Destin/PCB area for spring break, looking to book a fishing trip for the kids if anyone has recommendations.
Tarpon?

Z

Reactions: Section25
Have we talked about this before? My family has a fly-in place up that way, we fly out of Red Lake
Not with me specifically - I go about 2 1/2 hours north of Ignace. Pashkokogan lake system. My family did go to the Red Lake area for fly-in but that was pre-me in the 60's and early 70's. Two years of very low pressure fishing should produce spectacular results. Hopefully the border opens up this year.

Reactions: just_somebody
This new guy, Mike Z, keeps liking a lot of my posts and twitter videos.

Kinda creepy....

Is he some kinda stalker or what.............

;)

Careful, heard he likes to catfish.....

1U9e.gif

Reactions: Mike Zierath
Class A trout streams on East Coast? Tell me more…..

Have you ever fished any of the Pa delayed harvest or no harvest trout fishery’s ? Some incredible fishing in the the Pa mountains. The Yellow Breaches is great wild big brown trout.

Reactions: SCub
Have you ever fished any of the Pa delayed harvest or no harvest trout fishery’s ? Some incredible fishing in the the Pa mountains. The Yellow Breaches is great wild big brown trout.
Hate to tell you, but the vast majority of fish in the Breeches are stocked. There are miles upon miles of small wild Brook trout streams with no special regs. Many fish are small, but there are plenty in the 8-13” range if you have a feel for what to look for.

Hate to tell you, but the vast majority of fish in the Breeches are stocked. There are miles upon miles of small wild Brook trout streams with no special regs. Many fish are small, but there are plenty in the 8-13” range if you have a feel for what to look for.

Must be a lot of the fish that make it for years after being stocked im assuming then ? We were told my a Pa fish commission gal the last time we fished it, that the Breaches had one of the highest spawning and reproductive rates in the state.

Not with me specifically - I go about 2 1/2 hours north of Ignace. Pashkokogan lake system. My family did go to the Red Lake area for fly-in but that was pre-me in the 60's and early 70's. Two years of very low pressure fishing should produce spectacular results. Hopefully the border opens up this year.

Awesome.

We redid the interior of the cabin in '19, then it went 18 months untouched, including two summers where the forest fires were close enough the MNR turned on our sprinklers. One of the 'locals' with a float plane checked on it a couple times for us and said a bear tried to get in the main cabin and did a number on the gashouse. My parents were able to get up there this fall, and other than being over grown and having a hosted a squirrel at some point it was in good shape.

I'm unclean in the eyes of the Canadians and not currently welcome but really hoping they recognize natural immunity soon, as i'm planning to paddle in (~35km) with a group.

@Mike Zierath reach out to me sometime - its a pain in the butt to get to (unless you have your own plane - float or otherwise), but if someone is comfortable being in the bush and likes to fish, its heaven. We mostly go for Walleye, but if you want Northern there are plenty, and its deep enough to get lake trout if you have the patience. Also snagged a few perch, and two eelpout over the years.

Now im spending the rest of my afternoon daydreaming about getting back up there..

Last edited:
Tarpon?

Z
Whatever the boat captain can put us on in Mid March... I dont think the wife and youngest daughter are up for more than a half day excursion, so figured we would stick close to shore. This would be my first ever saltwater experience, so if I can let each of the kids land a few fish of any species and just not get skunked it would be a success

Reactions: Mike Zierath
Must be a lot of the fish that make it for years after being stocked im assuming then ? We were told my a Pa fish commission gal the last time we fished it, that the Breaches had one of the highest spawning and reproductive rates in the state.
A couple things. It may be true in terms of total number of fish because it’s a pretty long stream but (1) the majority of where it happens is upstream from where most people access it, and (2) in terms of percent of fish that are naturally bred it isn’t remotely close to many other streams in the state. In fact there are streams in close proximity in the Cumberland Valley that beat it quite handily in that regard. With that said, it’s where I cut my teeth on trout fishing c. 1969, and fly fishing c. 1975 so it holds a special place in my heart.

The wait is about over. We will be heading out from McIlravy country in the morning. Get checked in, do some shopping and probably stop by Joes to visit with some of the cesspool. Last PSU and Iowa in Carver loosened up the roof during Kems match and tomorrow night the roof may fly off. I think were looking at 7 or 8 very close matches and coming down to the 3rd period. Times like these are what makes memories.

The wait is about over. We will be heading out from McIlravy country in the morning. Get checked in, do some shopping and probably stop by Joes to visit with some of the cesspool. Last PSU and Iowa in Carver loosened up the roof during Kems match and tomorrow night the roof may fly off. I think were looking at 7 or 8 very close matches and coming down to the 3rd period. Times like these are what makes memories.
Yep. Gotta a long drive ahead, gonna meet Son's and other Family in Iowa City and hopefully come out with a W. Hawks win or lose, either way we win in the Grand Scheme of Things.

Go Hawks!

Yep. Gotta a long drive ahead, gonna meet Son's and other Family in Iowa City and hopefully come out with a W. Hawks win or lose, either way we win in the Grand Scheme of Things.

Go Hawks!
Good post 23. Definitely Hawks and Lions will both leave it all on the mat tomorrow night so we win. Despite Intermats lunacy, we are getting the 2 best teams in the country.

I love Pike fishing as well. Have caught a few Muskie, gotta watch how you handle those damn fish, they will slice you open! (Experience speaking).

I do quite a bit of off shore fishing as well! Fun stuff!
I always got in the boat hunting for Northern Pike as a kid in Canada rather than the walleye patrol.

Don’t get me wrong, I know how to catch Walleye but Northerns are more fun.

I always got in the boat hunting for Northern Pike as a kid in Canada rather than the walleye patrol.

Don’t get me wrong, I know how to catch Walleye but Northerns are more fun.
Northern are fun and hit like hell, but cut too many lines, slime too much, and aren't good enough eating for the hassle of the Y bones.

If you ever meet my middle son (now 9) in person, ask to hear the following story. . he was 6 at the time and had a 23" walleye on, right next to the boat and as I'm lowering the net to land it, it gets absolutely hammered by a northern. The Pike latches on and dives about 6 feet with the line. Son starts to reel again but the northern lets go right before I can net them both. The side of the walleye was shredded. Kid has an imagination to the moon, and it gets better every time, but rest assured it was legitimately awesome in person and the way his eyes light up telling the story is worth the listen alone

Do I dare start another bitter battle? I find fishing for bass, especially Largemouth, to be mindless. Throwing a spinner off a bunch of weeds is not overly difficult. Walleyes, on the other hand, are more of a challenge and offer a world class meal at the end of the day. Smallmouth's are a lot of fun, I'll give you that!
We need to form a HWC fishing club and or tournament fundraiser.

I like that this is now a fishing thread and not a PSU thread.

As far as Salt water fishing you guys have met the right guy, I have said it before if you guys want to get a group together and take a trip east I would be more than happy to take 5-6 guys or gals fishing and shoot the shit about The Hawkeyes.

I like that this is now a fishing thread and not a PSU thread.

As far as Salt water fishing you guys have met the right guy, I have said it before if you guys want to get a group together and take a trip east I would be more than happy to take 5-6 guys or gals fishing and shoot the shit about The Hawkeyes.
Inshore or off? Confession: I’ve never done offshore and never had the urge.

Class A trout streams on East Coast? Tell me more…..

Check out McMichael's creek and Brodhead Creek in Stroudsburg area. my favorites.

I live a stones throw from the Bushkill and fish that the most. it's fun fishing but mostly stock.

There's a McMichael's stretch that is absolutely amazing. Trophy Trout non-harvest (although i think there are special weeks where you can harvest) and no live bait of any kind.

McMichaels. McMichaels - this one is the exact stretch i fish

Broadhead

Reactions: el dub

i have never. a little south for me but now i'll have to check them out.

Check out McMichael's creek and Brodhead Creek in Stroudsburg area. my favorites.

I live a stones throw from the Bushkill and fish that the most. it's fun fishing but mostly stock.

There's a McMichael's stretch that is absolutely amazing. Trophy Trout non-harvest (although i think there are special weeks where you can harvest) and no live bait of any kind.

McMichaels. McMichaels - this one is the exact stretch i fish

Broadhead
Try northeast Iowa - Bloody Run - if you are a Trout fisherman.

The last fishing i did was in Panama when we were spearfishing while diving.

Until Mr.Shark,

yes, MR SHARK said those fish were his.

After that we used 1/4# TNT charges. We were done in about 2 minutes. Red snapper, yellow tail Jack and about a Billion minnies.

The last fishing i did was in Panama when we were spearfishing while diving.

Until Mr.Shark,

yes, MR SHARK said those fish were his.

After that we used 1/4# TNT charges. We were done in about 2 minutes. Red snapper, yellow tail Jack and about a Billion minnies.
They call that the tax collector, biggest shark I ever landed was 656lbs and took 9 hrs to reel in.

• Wow
Reactions: Kwoodhawk
Northern are fun and hit like hell, but cut too many lines, slime too much, and aren't good enough eating for the hassle of the Y bones.

If you ever meet my middle son (now 9) in person, ask to hear the following story. . he was 6 at the time and had a 23" walleye on, right next to the boat and as I'm lowering the net to land it, it gets absolutely hammered by a northern. The Pike latches on and dives about 6 feet with the line. Son starts to reel again but the northern lets go right before I can net them both. The side of the walleye was shredded. Kid has an imagination to the moon, and it gets better every time, but rest assured it was legitimately awesome in person and the way his eyes light up telling the story is worth the listen alone
Last time I went fishing was on a guided boat on Lake of the Woods, primarily seeking Walleyes, and we caught a good share. One guy reeled in a Northern and most of the Walleye fisherman on that boat wanted to stick dynamite in its mouth and give it the heave-ho! It was most definitely not staying on the boat for any reason! Ha!

I think he spoke with me. I go to the SW of Red Lake. Darn border better open. If not, I'm digging a tunnel or hiring a narco pilot. Been watching El Chapo movies for tips.

One guy reeled in a Northern and most of the Walleye fisherman on that boat wanted to stick dynamite in its mouth and give it the heave-ho! It was most definitely not staying on the boat for any reason! Ha!
pike
hammer-handles
gators
Snakes
sharks
jacks
jackfish
water wolf
Slime darts
Slew snakes
leadershredder
Toothy devils
Dinosaurs
Fresh water barracuda

Yeah I hate those bastards! 😄

pike
hammer-handles
gators
Snakes
sharks
jacks
jackfish
water wolf
Slime darts
Slew snakes
leadershredder
Toothy devils
Dinosaurs
Fresh water barracuda

Yeah I hate those bastards! 😄
Caught a 49.5”, 24lb monster in New Mexico about 38 years ago. Yes, New Mexico! It was fantastic! I will see if I can find a picture!!!!

Z

We have a 2 large farm ponds with huge largemouth, channel cats, and bluegill. They’ll bite on anything. Bare hook, cigarette butt, gummy bear, etc.

The #4 state record bluegill was caught out of our first pond by a 7 year old on a worm and bobber. Lol!

Personally my favorite is gigging whopper bullfrogs in the summertime out of the canoe with a cooler of beer and a headlamp. Legs and eggs for breakfast!

Not sure if you guys ever heard of Chris Bahl.

he was AD / Assoc. AD at Nebraska then Minny, then finally OKST before taking a job with APS (Nike Wrestling).

Anyway - he swears by New Mexico trout fishing.

Reactions: PSU Mike
Both but mostly offshore, you may not want to join in though. You are a PSU fan and it would extremely easy for me to leave you floating out to sea 40 miles offshore. ;)
I figured I’d see the word chum in your response, but you may have had that thought when you typed that.

Reactions: Grip220
ADVERTISEMENT