ADVERTISEMENT

Psychiatric help for someone who doesn't want it

There is no way to force a person to engage in psychiatric counseling, or any other counseling for that matter. A person has to want to improve themselves, exorcise their demons or whatever the objective.

Tough situation. Sorry several of you have gone through tough situations. This reminds me of when we put mom in memory care. We would ask her in front of her doctor, or a care facility director if she was ready to move out of her house and she'd say no lucidly enough. I talked to a lawyer and he said it was going to be a tough fight even though I had a signed medical POA from her. As it went I checked her into a memory care facility under the guise of her needing care for wound care after minor surgery, and although she was agitated a few times in the first few weeks, she quickly accepted this was her home and fell into a routine.
Sorry if that is not specifically helpful to the OP, but, getting someone help when they tell you they are fine is tough.

Sounds like you are all doing pretty good to not let your BIL spiral with her.

Agree with others, BIL needs to seek counsel and someone in the mental health realm with experience to advise him best how to walk this path. Probably wouldn’t hurt to join a support forum or network with other men dealing with these problems - he will feel good when he sees how many others have dealt with the same stuff and their experiences can be beneficial.

Keep supporting BIL. He will need it.

If my memory is correct here, unless there is a criminal act involved, a person can reject mental health care without ant repercussions. An ER visit might result in a “24 hr. Hold” or the soonest a doctor can evaluate (weekends) But there is no way you can force mental health evaluation on someone without a (court) order signed.
This is probably a good ting as there are some really dysfunctional families out there who would go to any length to get a parent or family member incarcerated and out of the way for whatever reason.

ADVERTISEMENT