ADVERTISEMENT

PTL aka JBo Prime Time

hawk-i bob

HR Heisman
Oct 1, 2007
Iowa City
The kid is amazing...as mentioned previously by another poster..has added a penetrating floater. Played all 40 minutes because his team was short players. To think a year ago some were concerned about this back up recruit. Thank heavens Fran recruited him.

Kriener has added a butt. Much stronger in shoulder. Only saw a little of Garza in the Jones Gym..between these two...we have 2 bigs who can hit a 3 and body inside.

Nunge...wow...unlimited. Lights out shooter with pretty dang good handles for a close to 7 footer.
Not sure he is a defender (yet) inside as Kriener or Garza...but can certainly see time as a 3.

The returners all had their moments. I have my opinion of the ones who will face some stiff competition for PT come fall...but its meaningless on June 25th.

UNI's Juwan McCloud can play as well as Isaiah Brown & Pickford. Their bigs are OK in MVC..not
so much in B1G IMO.

Gabe Olaseni, Aaron White & Josh Oglesby were in the house.

Another huge crowd. With many Iowa & UNI players on each team..starting lineups for all 6 teams are pretty talented.

The kid is amazing...as mentioned previously by another poster..has added a penetrating floater. Played all 40 minutes because his team was short players. To think a year ago some were concerned about this back up recruit. Thank heavens Fran recruited him.

Thanks for the info. I laughed out loud when I read the reminder about what a backup recruit he was. Yeah, those were the days arguing with a couple of Cyclone fans. Wow, just a little less than a year ago.

Do you have anything on Williams, Dailey, Moss and Ellingson? Or if anyone else does that can add to the great report Bob gave? It seems more and more to me the difference between a top tier team..and a top notch team in the Big Ten is going to be backups at the guard spots.

Found Franisdaman's link to Tom's highlights. Wow, Nunge looks really good.

Last edited:
I didnt see enough of CW,Garza,Wagner or Dailey.

Was impressed with both Moss & Ellingson..they were engaged on every possession. This may sound crazy...but i watched BE intently on defense...he might be one of our better on ball defenders.

Jordan Bohannon was focused on every possession. His battle with A.J. Green was fun to watch..again JBo played every single minute and it wasnt a slow down game.

Reactions: And1Hawk and DanL53
Updated B1G starting lineup

Bo, Moss, Nunge, Cook, Kreiner
repeat 6 Man of the year, Baer

could compete for BIG champ in my opinion. top 4 with Fran's coaching and not running into too many officiating crews that hate Fran.

in my opinion being on the zebras bad side costs Iowa 1-2 B1G games per season.

That lineup is as good of a guess as any.

..although I only saw Garza for a few minutes...he strikes me in a couple ways. He is a gamer...wouldnt go as far to say a brawler...but he isnt afraid to mix it up...I dont think the match up with Wagner/Williams team was the best for him.

.. He also seems to hold himself to a standard...Smart player..I dont think he is going to be a 'good loser'..which isnt a bad thing. Its possible in the early going come fall he will be his own worse critic..might be a little too hard on himself. Natural progression with experience.

Nunge is talented offensively..no question and he knows it (confident).. Really good handles for a 7 footer. While Uthoff was a stretch 4 who could knock down 3's when delivered the ball when open...Nunge is as well...the difference is Nunge has the potential to create his own 3.

these two are going to be alot of fun to watch thats for sure.

Kriener has added a butt. Much stronger in shoulder. Only saw a little of Garza in the Jones Gym..between these two...we have 2 bigs who can hit a 3 and body inside.

Nunge...wow...unlimited. Lights out shooter with pretty dang good handles for a close to 7 footer.
Not sure he is a defender (yet) inside as Kriener or Garza...but can certainly see time as a 3.

The returners all had their moments. I have my opinion of the ones who will face some stiff competition for PT come fall...but its meaningless on June 25th.

UNI's Juwan McCloud can play as well as Isaiah Brown & Pickford. Their bigs are OK in MVC..not
so much in B1G IMO.

Another huge crowd. With many Iowa & UNI players on each team..starting lineups for all 6 teams are pretty talented.

so much in B1G IMO.

I like everything you said. You never know how the player is going to react once Izzo sends his Goons after him as this always happens in the B1G. The refs aren't going to call it and you have to respond without it being blatant. I get the sense that these new kids are plenty tough though and I hope I am right.

Top nine:

PG: Bohannon
SG: Moss, Elingson
SF: Baer, Nunge...no particular order.
PF: Cook, Pemsl
C: Kriener, Garza...no particular order.

Uhl, Wagner, Dailey, Williams....fighting for playing time. Backup point being one of Ellingson, Williams or Dailey. Someone between Uhl and Wagner will beat the other out for more than mop up minutes..when someone is hurt, or in foul trouble, or we have the game in hand. Dailey could also surprise and get time at the three if Williams can handle the backup point job.

At least that's what I'm figuring. In June. Months before anything gets settled. But I REALLY like this team and with Connor and Wieskamp coming in they fit perfectly into spots where they could see plenty of minutes.

And, by seasons end there will be talented players that I would not blame a bit if they decided to seek playing time elsewhere.

I like everything you said. You never know how the player is going to react once Izzo sends his Goons after him as this always happens in the B1G. The refs aren't going to call it and you have to respond without it being blatant. I get the sense that these new kids are plenty tough though and I hope I am right.

I agree...DanL mentioned it (and I agree) Garza has a little Krafcisin look (for those older fans)...maybe one of those guys that some opponents dont think much of and then after they play him. ...'''that SOB""". I could be totally off...but that was my impression seeing him in person for the first time...albeit for a short time.

I like him..

I agree...DanL mentioned it (and I agree) Garza has a little Krafcisin look (for those older fans)...maybe one of those guys that some opponents dont think much of and then after they play him. ...'''that SOB""". I could be totally off...but that was my impression seeing him in person for the first time...albeit for a short time.

I like him..

Reminded me of Special K as Garza has that ability to play so hard he gets in the other guys head. It's not physical like beat on a guy...it's physical like relentless...annoying. Like he wants it more. Because he does want it more. The phrase I think I used last summer was, "He is serious."

You all are reporting fake news!!! Nunge is really Uthoff with his experience NBA skills, Uthoff decided to come back as freshman to help Iowa go to the Final Four next year. Garza is really Woody, Woody aka Garza found an amazing plastic surgeon and also installed some new bionic legs for better hops. The Hawks will be winning so much, you'll get tired of winning, oh please Fran, quit winning... I will be tweeting this new revelation at about 3am but I wanted share with you all first since you believe in the Hawks, you are the only true fans. Go Hawks!

Are you guys seeing Nunge as a SF? I would be surprised if he plays there. There are some tough covers in the B1G at the 3 spot. To me it is more likely Moss slides over to the 3 when Baer is out and they bring in Brady or Maishe for the 2 spot. If we have a weakness on the team I think it is guard quickness. There are some jets in the league.

Are you guys seeing Nunge as a SF? I would be surprised if he plays there. There are some tough covers in the B1G at the 3 spot. To me it is more likely Moss slides over to the 3 when Baer is out and they bring in Brady or Maishe for the 2 spot. If we have a weakness on the team I think it is guard quickness. There are some jets in the league.

On offense yes ...very much like Uthoff...although I think might have better handles. Remember the Woody/White/Uthoff combo. Course opponents match up will have alot to do with it. ... I could be wrong..but if there ever was a time...Zone.

Reactions: DanL53
Qualifiers…..I’m not basketball expert and I only saw a limited sample, so take it for what it’s worth.

I’m going to be all over the place here….but that’s the way my mind works;

Kreiner definitely looked beefier. He played pretty hard and was pretty physical. He had some, grab the ball and go to the hoop with a serious dunk going on. The main take away for me is that he was definitely stronger, more intense, and confident. It was good.

Tyler Cook also looks beefier and stronger to me. I heard one of the UNI fans refer to him as baby Shaq. In terms of strength and size he is the big man on campus in that league. Reminded me of the MSU/Purdue/OSU guys of old (Perry Carter?). That said, he did not seem overly inspired today. He had some monster jams, but not really engaged. His jump shot or midrange shot was not good, not close. Does not look like he has worked on it.He may have had a work out or been tired today.

Nunge was very good. His outside shot was really good from three, he scored inside and in this game was far better than Tyler. He had at least one drive the lane and throw it down hard that I saw and the UNI fans near me were very impressed with him. He looked really good.

Jordan B was very good….everything Bob has said. Not worth repeating. I will say that I was semi shocked at how good AJ Green is. He had a stretch in that game where he was in a zone and no one could stop him. He also gave Jordan a little trouble on the defensive end. He is about two inches taller that Jordan and he is very quick with a great shot.

Brady Ellingson and the McCloud kid were matched up frequently….McCloud is very quick and a very impressive player. That said, I was semi shocked at how well Brady played him defensively. Brady did a good job of keeping McCloud in front of him when he tried to drive the lane on him one on one. Brady’s shot looked great…he was deadly. When the other team left him open they paid for it. The McCloud kid is one of the UNI guys that I wish we had on our team.

I thought that most of the UNI guys looked pretty good.

I started out watching Garza-Dailey v Williams V Wagner. Really wanted to see both Garza and Dailey play. In the early part of the game they all looked okay. Ahmad is in great shape. Garza worked very hard but the big kid from the community college (size comparable to Kreiner) was playing some physical defense. Christian looked about the same….I really like this kid and I wish the light would go on for him, but in this very short view it didn’t look like it has. Maishee looks similar to when we saw him play last year, he might have added some weight. I started watching this game and then on an early break moved over to the other game which was much more intense. Never made it back to this one.

Hawkeyes that I saw playing pretty hard and that seemed to be in the mood to compete were these guys in particular:

Kreiner, Bohanan, Baer, Moss, Nunge, and Garza.

Moss looked really good in the first half. He was what we all envision him being….hitting threes, driving the lane, playing good defense, etc.

Dom was Dom. He just seems like a really nice guy. I think if he would every play pissed off we might really see what he is capable of….and I think that is a lot.

I hope the frosh can shoot free throws. The stat sheets leave some question.

Brady Ellingson and the McCloud kid were matched up frequently….McCloud is very quick and a very impressive player. That said, I was semi shocked at how well Brady played him defensively. Brady did a good job of keeping McCloud in front of him when he tried to drive the lane on him one on one. Brady’s shot looked great…he was deadly. When the other team left him open they paid for it. The McCloud kid is one of the UNI guys that I wish we had on our team.

Agree Perry...and yes McCloud was impressive which probably brought me to isolate on Ellingson's defense against him...and led me to say that Brady might be our best on ball defender.

Agree Perry...and yes McCloud was impressive which probably brought me to isolate on Ellingson's defense against him...and led me to say that Brady might be our best on ball defender.

I actually ended up sitting next to McCloud's dad. Nice guy and was fun to talk to. I asked him about UNI and how they will be this year. He said he wasn't sure how good they will be, not because they don't have talent, but because theirs not one standout player and they don't know who to go to.....my guess is that with Coach Jacobsen they will figure it out.

Reactions: hawk-i bob
I actually ended up sitting next to McCloud's dad. Nice guy and was fun to talk to. I asked him about UNI and how they will be this year. He said he wasn't sure how good they will be, not because they don't have talent, but because theirs not one standout player and they don't know who to go to.....my guess is that with Coach Jacobsen they will figure it out.

i dont know ..dont follow UNI that close..dont even know who their freshman are without looking.. but Mr McCloud's son could be a candidate. I also like Brown...I dont think their bigs are that great but maybe good enough in UNI's system & MVC.

That lineup is as good of a guess as any.

..although I only saw Garza for a few minutes...he strikes me in a couple ways. He is a gamer...wouldnt go as far to say a brawler...but he isnt afraid to mix it up...I dont think the match up with Wagner/Williams team was the best for him.

.. He also seems to hold himself to a standard...Smart player..I dont think he is going to be a 'good loser'..which isnt a bad thing. Its possible in the early going come fall he will be his own worse critic..might be a little too hard on himself. Natural progression with experience.

Nunge is talented offensively..no question and he knows it (confident).. Really good handles for a 7 footer. While Uthoff was a stretch 4 who could knock down 3's when delivered the ball when open...Nunge is as well...the difference is Nunge has the potential to create his own 3.

these two are going to be alot of fun to watch thats for sure.
Lots compare Uthoff to Novitsky but he is only 6'9.

Nunge sounds like he may (MAY...) someday be a better comparison even.

Jordan is hella competitive. He really put his team on his back to come back from down double digits and competed hard those last 10 minutes or so.

Kriener worked hard and took a bit of a beating. He was the only starter that didn't play the full 40 minutes though. He was making jumpers earlier, but I think he got tired at a point and everything started coming up short. He still competed so props for that.

Isaiah performed well as expected. It felt like he more than 4 threes (maybe some were counted as long twos). I don't think there was anything drastic to report.

Jack showed off some ambidexterity. He hit a variety of layups, hooks, floaters, etc. with his left.

Tyler's shot wasn't going early and his dribble move didn't always come out cleanly. He stuck with high % looks only after a certain point.

So far through seeing 2 games and watching them off the court. The team seems to be in good spirits.

I like him..
Oh Steve Krafcisn was a lot of fun to watch, kept his opponent honest and more often than not outworked him

In what aspect do you mean this Bob? Don't think Ellingson's lateral quickness equals CW's or MD's.

like Perry mentioned as he was there also...BE did one heck of job staying in front of a speedster like McCloud. Didnt mention any comparison to CW or MD..actually for yesterday's PTL games...didnt see alot of their games.

Lots compare Uthoff to Novitsky but he is only 6'9.

Nunge sounds like he may (MAY...) someday be a better comparison even.

Nunge is very much Uthoff like...certainly by height...by weight...by his ability to knock down 3's. IMO he might have better handles...

will he have the same impact? never said he will...but the ability comparison is clear (if u know anything about BB)... Lets try this..Uthoff played a few PTL games right after high school (I believe just before he committed to Wisc). IMO Nunge looks more refined. What impressed me is he seems to be pretty confident...he should be...his shot is.

so play the go crazy its just the PTL game if U want...Nunge is good and very much in the mold of a Uthoff type.

Nunge is very much Uthoff like...certainly by height...by weight...by his ability to knock down 3's. IMO he might have better handles...

will he have the same impact? never said he will...but the ability comparison is clear (if u know anything about BB)... Lets try this..Uthoff played a few PTL games right after high school (I believe just before he committed to Wisc). IMO Nunge looks more refined. What impressed me is he seems to be pretty confident...he should be...his shot is.

so play the go crazy its just the PTL game if U want...Nunge is good and very much in the mold of a Uthoff type.

A small correction....Uthoff did not play PTL in 2011, which would have been the summer after his senior year of high school. He committed to Wisconsin in summer of 2010, and he did play in the PTL that summer.

A small correction....Uthoff did not play PTL in 2011, which would have been the summer after his senior year of high school. He committed to Wisconsin in summer of 2010, and he did play in the PTL that summer.

ya dont have the memory you have...thus my comment I believe. Am i correct in that he played some PTL before committing to Wisconsin?

In what aspect do you mean this Bob? Don't think Ellingson's lateral quickness equals CW's or MD's.

like Perry mentioned as he was there also...BE did one heck of job staying in front of a speedster like McCloud. Didnt mention any comparison to CW or MD..actually for yesterday's PTL games...didnt see alot of their games.

This is interesting conversation....I am not that knowledgeable about basketball but the point here is that Brady is playing or did play very good defense on a much quicker player. How does he do that?

McCloud is lightning quick, Brady isn't. I would like to hear from some coaches who specialize in man to man and what they teach about distance from the quicker player, body position, etc.... and then how team defense helps....

I suspect that Brady is pretty smart about these things and that he has watched McCloud and knows how to play him.

Top nine:

PG: Bohannon
SG: Moss, Elingson
SF: Baer, Nunge...no particular order.
PF: Cook, Pemsl
C: Kriener, Garza...no particular order.

Uhl, Wagner, Dailey, Williams....fighting for playing time. Backup point being one of Ellingson, Williams or Dailey. Someone between Uhl and Wagner will beat the other out for more than mop up minutes..when someone is hurt, or in foul trouble, or we have the game in hand. Dailey could also surprise and get time at the three if Williams can handle the backup point job.

At least that's what I'm figuring. In June. Months before anything gets settled. But I REALLY like this team and with Connor and Wieskamp coming in they fit perfectly into spots where they could see plenty of minutes.

And, by seasons end there will be talented players that I would not blame a bit if they decided to seek playing time elsewhere.

I'd buy that lineup. I can see JBo, Baer, Moss and Cook as our main starters this year. With Fran rotating Wagner, Kreiner and Garza at the 5 to start the year. With Kreiner or Garza winning it come B1G.... I throw Wagner, as the guy can play some physical defense, and he has energy. It would be good for the yutes to feed off of that what he has, along with Baer.. Energy and intensity are good.

This is interesting conversation....I am not that knowledgeable about basketball but the point here is that Brady is playing or did play very good defense on a much quicker player. How does he do that?

McCloud is lightning quick, Brady isn't. I would like to hear from some coaches who specialize in man to man and what they teach about distance from the quicker player, body position, etc.... and then how team defense helps....

I suspect that Brady is pretty smart about these things and that he has watched McCloud and knows how to play him.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't McLoud still have like 40 points?

so much in B1G IMO.

Qualifiers…..I’m not basketball expert and I only saw a limited sample, so take it for what it’s worth.

I’m going to be all over the place here….but that’s the way my mind works;

Kreiner definitely looked beefier. He played pretty hard and was pretty physical. He had some, grab the ball and go to the hoop with a serious dunk going on. The main take away for me is that he was definitely stronger, more intense, and confident. It was good.

Tyler Cook also looks beefier and stronger to me. I heard one of the UNI fans refer to him as baby Shaq. In terms of strength and size he is the big man on campus in that league. Reminded me of the MSU/Purdue/OSU guys of old (Perry Carter?). That said, he did not seem overly inspired today. He had some monster jams, but not really engaged. His jump shot or midrange shot was not good, not close. Does not look like he has worked on it.He may have had a work out or been tired today.

Nunge was very good. His outside shot was really good from three, he scored inside and in this game was far better than Tyler. He had at least one drive the lane and throw it down hard that I saw and the UNI fans near me were very impressed with him. He looked really good.

Jordan B was very good….everything Bob has said. Not worth repeating. I will say that I was semi shocked at how good AJ Green is. He had a stretch in that game where he was in a zone and no one could stop him. He also gave Jordan a little trouble on the defensive end. He is about two inches taller that Jordan and he is very quick with a great shot.

I thought that most of the UNI guys looked pretty good.

I started out watching Garza-Dailey v Williams V Wagner. Really wanted to see both Garza and Dailey play. In the early part of the game they all looked okay. Ahmad is in great shape. Garza worked very hard but the big kid from the community college (size comparable to Kreiner) was playing some physical defense. Christian looked about the same….I really like this kid and I wish the light would go on for him, but in this very short view it didn’t look like it has. Maishee looks similar to when we saw him play last year, he might have added some weight. I started watching this game and then on an early break moved over to the other game which was much more intense. Never made it back to this one.

Hawkeyes that I saw playing pretty hard and that seemed to be in the mood to compete were these guys in particular:

Kreiner, Bohanan, Baer, Moss, Nunge, and Garza.

Moss looked really good in the first half. He was what we all envision him being….hitting threes, driving the lane, playing good defense, etc.

Dom was Dom. He just seems like a really nice guy. I think if he would every play pissed off we might really see what he is capable of….and I think that is a lot.

Good stuff Bob and Perry.....going to get out yet to PTL to catch some games but from everyone's thoughts to date.....dang. Can't wait to go.

Like Bob is saying....hard to predict starting lineups from a PTL day of play because things and match ups happen but you can see things for sure.

I mean you have Tyler coming back averaging 12 ppg and then JBohannon, Baer, Pemsl and the rest, a year more experienced and stronger so it's all good. Nunge and Garza both sound and just look very impressive in the vid highlights. Physically, Nunge is pretty thick for a 6'11" frosh to be....wow.

Kreiner is maybe the early lead for most improved player via PTL? JBo is just a damn good BB player and this doesn't surprise me that Moss has taken his play to another level which should be very scary for our opponents to think about.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't McLoud still have like 40 points?

He did, but Brady certainly didn't guard him the entire game.....lots of switching off. I would also suggest that when you see good defense in these games it's not the norm so it stands out.

How tall is nunge the recruiting profile has him at 6'9 but everybody on the pod cast keeps saying around 7' so has he grown since the profile was made

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT