ADVERTISEMENT

Publix won’t give COVID vaccine to children under 5

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006
Since COVID-19 vaccines first became available, Publix has played a major role in tackling the public health emergency in Florida by offering vaccines to adults and, later, children as young as 5.

But the Lakeland grocery company says it will not offer the vaccine approved for children ages 4 and under “at this time.”

Spokesperson Hannah Herring said Tuesday that Publix will not release a statement explaining its decision. The company’s website indicates that it is still accepting COVID-19 vaccine appointments for children ages 5 and up.

The company still offers other child vaccinations, including the flu shot for babies as young as 6 months.

Since COVID-19 vaccines first became available, Publix has played a major role in tackling the public health emergency in Florida by offering vaccines to adults and, later, children as young as 5.

But the Lakeland grocery company says it will not offer the vaccine approved for children ages 4 and under “at this time.”

Spokesperson Hannah Herring said Tuesday that Publix will not release a statement explaining its decision. The company’s website indicates that it is still accepting COVID-19 vaccine appointments for children ages 5 and up.

The company still offers other child vaccinations, including the flu shot for babies as young as 6 months.
I wonder if there is some federal red tape that if they receive COVID vaccines (assuming they are subsidized in some way) they must comply with CDC or other applicable guidelines, or face fines. I am sure their lawyers have vetted that.

Reactions: ericram
I guess Publix doesn’t understand or care that there has been more transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in the last 30 days than there had been in any 30-day period in the entire pandemic.

It also could be that the demand is expected to be very low, especially in Florida. I've also read that that giving the shot to babies requires special training. I have no idea why it would be different than a flu shot or other shot to babies, but maybe it its.

From a practical standpoint, nobody wants to hear the drama of a little kid getting a shot while they buy milk and bread.

There is probably alot more to this other than the politics of the vaccine, but the general public will say this is politics.

I guess Publix doesn’t understand or care that there has been more transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in the last 30 days than there had been in any 30-day period in the entire pandemic.

You should probably stay home and keep wearing your adult pacifier

You should probably stay home and keep wearing your adult pacifier

He's mocking @Kenneth Griffin for his periodic panic threads he still posts.

Reactions: TJ8869 and hydro2.0
Not surprising. Plenty of pharmacies won’t. You have to go to a pediatrician or clinic.

He's mocking @Kenneth Griffin for his periodic panic threads he still posts.

Then I apologize @TJ8869

Reactions: TJ8869

Publix also doesn’t offer opioids for pain.

Only 18% of parents say they plan of getting the vaccine for their kids under 5. So, it’s not like this will impact anything.

ADVERTISEMENT