ADVERTISEMENT

Punter from down under...

kceasthawk

HR Legend
Nov 5, 2016
Just a question for Blair or anyone in the know. Given the virus issues and traveling and lockdowns, is our new punter recruit in the states, at Iowa, or is he still on walkabout down under? o_O

Just a question for Blair or anyone in the know. Given the virus issues and traveling and lockdowns, is our new punter recruit in the states, at Iowa, or is he still on walkabout down under? o_O
I think I read not too long ago he was still not in the states ... and travel restrictions, etc., had not allowed him to arrive ... Again, I "think" that is what I heard awhile back ... Maybe it was Coach Copeland who mentioned it on a Hawk Central podcast ...

He's a punter, not a QB learning a playbook... For all I care, he could show up on a Friday, work with the long snapper a bit, then on Saturday take a few more snaps with the punt team during pre-game warm ups, and be good to go.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
He's a punter, not a QB learning a playbook... For all I care, he could show up on a Friday, work with the long snapper a bit, then on Saturday take a few more snaps with the punt team during pre-game warm ups, and be good to go.

Close. But he'll be better off with some coaching... As will the special teams play

I thought I read that he has never actually punted in a football game before. If true, going thru some practices might not be a bad thing.

Incoming basketball freshman, Josh Ogundele is having the same issues with travel. Covid and getting an F1 Visa issue.

The government has made it a mess to try and get visas. Including banning some students... Not good for the students, and their dreams of an education in America. Hopefully it gets corrected soon, and they unlogjam the process they have purposely disrupted. But don't hold your breath.

Incoming basketball freshman, Josh Ogundele is having the same issues with travel. Covid and getting an F1 Visa issue.

The government has made it a mess to try and get visas. Including banning some students... Not good for the students, and their dreams of an education in America. Hopefully it gets corrected soon, and they unlogjam the process they have purposely disrupted. But don't hold your breath.
Let’s be honest, the only reason you give two shits is because it’s affecting our teams. If it was some academic scholarship kid, nobody would care. I think the pandemic thing is a little more important than sports ball.

Let’s be honest, the only reason you give two shits is because it’s affecting our teams. If it was some academic scholarship kid, nobody would care. I think the pandemic thing is a little more important than sports ball.
Well of course, and that makes some sense, don't you think? We're fans, (or fanatics literally). We get to know these young men. We follow them as they finish high school. Follow their careers, and cheer for them. Follow them when they leave if possible, especially if they are in the league or public life. They become almost an extension of the family, the Hawkeye family anyway. I'm pretty sure few of us have the same type of ties to Joe or Jill student at the University. You think?

Reactions: naturalmwa
I thought I read that he has never actually punted in a football game before. If true, going thru some practices might not be a bad thing.
Yeah, that's correct, which is the case for all the Prokick Australia guys that have had so much success in CFB/NFL recently. They are former Aussie rules players, but only simulate punting situations in their training.

Neither punter Tory Taylor or basketball recruit Josh Ogundele have been able to get to Iowa City yet. For Taylor, he's never been to the U.S. before, period.

If IOWA is online this fall will they even be given a student visa? Are there extenuating circumstances granted to college athletes?

Yeah, that's correct, which is the case for all the Prokick Australia guys that have had so much success in CFB/NFL recently. They are former Aussie rules players, but only simulate punting situations in their training.

Neither punter Tory Taylor or basketball recruit Josh Ogundele have been able to get to Iowa City yet. For Taylor, he's never been to the U.S. before, period.

Well, Taylor better find a way to get her because the Oshkosh kid that Iowa turned down went to Wisconsin.

It's not "issues with travel", it's the Trump Administration's effort to keep legal immigrants out of the country.

Close. But he'll be better off with some coaching... As will the special teams play

Duh... Everybody would agree some practice would be beneficial, but if he can't get in the country he can't get into the country... However, I am not aware that Australia is on a restricted list, anyway.
Travel restrictions that are in place here, are not unique to the USA. Obviously, many countries have restrictions, many of which are far more stringent than the USA's.
Australia for example, has enacted a travel ban on all non-residents and non-Australian citizens entering Australia. Though some exceptions can be made if you request one.
So, it isn't unique to Trump. In fact, Trump has put things in place to pressure colleges and Universities to open in the fall, such as, requiring students with F1 visas being required to take at least one class in person.

That's just not true. Foreign students are the lifeline for many colleges and universities. Without students from abroad, many of those schools would be forced to close or lay people off. This also affects the towns/cities these schools are in, worsening the recession.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT