ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue Baseball

I don’t think I could be troubled to buy a ticket and show up at 9 AM to boo a bunch of kids. But the Big Ten should step up here. This is a real black eye.

I’m sure the Big Ten would much rather have Nebraska than Purdue. It wouldn’t be unprecedented for the Big Ten to set aside the pre-established rules to make a buck.

so the B1G does not come in to make the decision? I didn't realize one team could make that decision that impacts other teams.

@Alum-Ni , your take?
Seems shady....but it is what it is. Nebraska doesn't deserve to be in the tournament when they were in the position they were in....they had plenty of opportunities to clinch a tournament berth. It's sad with it being in Omaha, but oh well.

This is the third or fourth league game Purdue did not play this year due to weather IIRC

the argument is that Purdue/Maryland/the B1G knew the weather was going to be bad today so they could have done what is normally done in that situation and schedule a double header for yesterday
I know that but that’s a bunch of Twitter talk the articles I’m reading makes no mention of it.

They tried to get the game in, even had the tarps off at one point.

I know that but that’s a bunch of Twitter talk the articles I’m reading makes no mention of it.

Here's one example, from the Lincoln Journal Star:

With rain forecast to fall on Purdue's campus most of the day Saturday, the Boilermakers and Terrapins chose not to play a doubleheader either Thursday or Friday to get ahead of the weather. Maryland clinched the Big Ten title with a victory Friday night.

They really, really drug their feet before making a decision......the game time could have been moved up.

Regardless, Nebraska would have just went 0-2 in the tourney anyway.

Another example, from Sports Illustrated, but here the writer rips the B1G Conference for not making sure the 3 Maryland at Purdue games got played:

...Weather in West Lafayette was enough for Purdue and Maryland to cancel the final game of their series, putting the Boilermakers into the final spot of the conference tournament.

The Saturday forecast was well known ahead of today. Throughout the season, when weather had the possibility of impacting a series, games were either moved up or moved back. Nebraska sat through more than four hours of rain delays last weekend just to finish a single inning.

But the Big Ten Conference does not care about baseball. That's blatantly obvious with their BTN+ product at several schools.

It was made obvious again as the league office did not step in to make sure the Boilermakers and Terrapins moved their regular-season finale to be part of a Friday double-header.

LINK:

From what I gather, it never even rained in West Lafayette today. The Boilers flat out refused to play a doubleheader on either of the first two days because they said there would be a window to play today. Well, there was a window all day, but they refused to move their tarp and start the game. Maryland packed up and left after waiting around a couple hours.

Purdue had 0 interest trying to play today after getting their ass kicked the first 2 games. Maryland was the outright champion and a win today did 0 for their resume and a loss would have been a disaster for their chance to host. Maryland would be just fine if the tournament is rained out this weekend.

From what I gather, it never even rained in West Lafayette today. The Boilers flat out refused to play a doubleheader on either of the first two days because they said there would be a window to play today. Well, there was a window all day, but they refused to move their tarp and start the game. Maryland packed up and left after waiting around a couple hours.

Purdue had 0 interest trying to play today after getting their ass kicked the first 2 games. Maryland was the outright champion and a win today did 0 for their resume and a loss would have been a disaster for their chance to host. Maryland would be just fine if the tournament is rained out this weekend.

See the 2 articles I linked. Just to be safe, they should have scheduled and played a double header yesterday, which is what normally is done when bad weather is forecasted.

Nebraska got screwed on this; I hope the AD makes a phone call to the B1G for an explanation.

Reactions: Alum-Ni
I put this more on Maryland than Purdue, they were the home team. I don’t think they wanted to play the game anymore than Purdue did.

ADVERTISEMENT