ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue Game

Auger

HR All-American
Sep 14, 2007
I'm excited for this game. Do I think Iowa will win? No. Do I think Iowa will lose by double figures? Yes. However this is a perfect early season game for this team especially following an emotional win against a solid Virginia team in the road.

Purdue is likely a top 5 nationally ranked team all season. Virginia is likely a team somewhere between 25-50 as they grow much like Iowa. Purdue will give this team a lesson on where they stand and what they need to work on for a long grueling B1G season. I like Iowa getting two of its harder B1G games over with early. It will help these guys adjust.

Iowa has a lot of talent. Coming in we expected more growing pains early. These guys have shown to be more ready than anyone thought including maybe even Fran. Keegan is a bonafide star. Purdue will demand a lot from him and have the bodies to guard him anywhere. Looking forward to watching Keegan figure out how to make an impact.

Everyone knew Purdue would be good but not necessarily this good. Edey, Ivey amd Furst all had really good summers with their national teams. All were projected to have breakout years, but not like this. Edey has taken a giant leap and Furst is playing like a veteran. Ivey is a legit star. I've watched them 4 times now this season and to me they've been the most impressive college basketball team so far. They can score, they can rebound, they can shoot the 3, and they play D all at high levels. Oh and they can go 10 deep and not miss a beat.

Purdue will expose Iowa's weak spots. They will challenge Iowa's star player. They will teach every player where they need to improve. Thats good because this Iowa team has more drive and determination, with just the right amount of arrogance than any Fran coached Iowa team i've seen. They will come out better after this game because of it.

Congrats on the Virginia win and good job getting the B1G off on the right foot in the Challenge. Your guys have obviously been impressive offensively and Keegan has emerged as a bona fide stud.

Part of the Virginia game is all I've seen of the Hawks this year, so curious if Fran is doing anything differently or more effectively on the defensive end. The key to somewhat slowing down the Purdue offense is making the post entries as difficult as possible and preventing them from running what they want to, because once the ball gets inside all options are on the table. Florida State was able to do that early, but obviously not well enough or long enough to prevent 93 points.

Congrats on the Virginia win and good job getting the B1G off on the right foot in the Challenge. Your guys have obviously been impressive offensively and Keegan has emerged as a bona fide stud.

Part of the Virginia game is all I've seen of the Hawks this year, so curious if Fran is doing anything differently or more effectively on the defensive end. The key to somewhat slowing down the Purdue offense is making the post entries as difficult as possible and preventing them from running what they want to, because once the ball gets inside all options are on the table. Florida State was able to do that early, but obviously not well enough or long enough to prevent 93 points.
Fran is running a lot more man defense this year. Although Iowa’s defensive efficiency numbers aren’t great, I feel this team is a far superior defensive team than we’ve seen in past years. A large part of that is due to the increase in athleticism of this team. Quick guards on the perimeter harassing opposing teams with the Murray twins down low who have quick ups and long arms to swat shots. I’m no expert, but that’s my two cents.

Fran is running a lot more man defense this year. Although Iowa’s defensive efficiency numbers aren’t great, I feel this team is a far superior defensive team than we’ve seen in past years. A large part of that is due to the increase in athleticism of this team. Quick guards on the perimeter harassing opposing teams with the Murray twins down low who have quick ups and long arms to swat shots. I’m no expert, but that’s my two cents.
They are so much better at switching. Literally a couple of steps faster this year, the first half of the Virginia game is a good example. Virginia was going inside but getting stopped and Iowa was fast enough on defense to cover the kick outs.

Not much different than the players. They were effective in the first half against Virginia. Second half was great shooting by Virginia and Iowa just couldn't sustain the defensive effort. Iowa's defensive metrics are no better than they were last year. Still room for improvement as many of the guys playing are getting more extended minutes than previously in their careers. But Iowa has had a real difficult time guarding Painter teams the past few years, and I would be shocked if Iowa can successfully defend Purdue. Just too many weapons and too well-coached. If, big if, Iowa is able to slow down Purdue it will probably come from the zone and trying to limit layups/dunks at the rim and hoping Purdue just misses open 3's. Which Purdue does not seem to do. Florida State's defensive numbers are way better than Iowa's and Boilers just took them apart.

Reactions: MTobin
Not much different than the players. They were effective in the first half against Virginia. Second half was great shooting by Virginia and Iowa just couldn't sustain the defensive effort. Iowa's defensive metrics are no better than they were last year. Still room for improvement as many of the guys playing are getting more extended minutes than previously in their careers. But Iowa has had a real difficult time guarding Painter teams the past few years, and I would be shocked if Iowa can successfully defend Purdue. Just too many weapons and too well-coached. If, big if, Iowa is able to slow down Purdue it will probably come from the zone and trying to limit layups/dunks at the rim and hoping Purdue just misses open 3's. Which Purdue does not seem to do. Florida State's defensive numbers are way better than Iowa's and Boilers just took them apart.
Florida state did make Purdue uncomfortable at tines. The length and athleticism was an issue for Purdue.

The funny thing about Iowa’s D this year, regardless of perception and the old eye test(increased athleticism), is that Iowa is worse on D compared to last year when you look at the metrics. Obviously it’s early in the season so things could improve but thus far that really isn’t the case.

The funny thing about Iowa’s D this year, regardless of perception and the old eye test(increased athleticism), is that Iowa is worse on D compared to last year when you look at the metrics. Obviously it’s early in the season so things could improve but thus far that really isn’t the case.
Experience matters. That team last year had a lot of time on the court together.

Wait... 94th in defensive efficiency isn't good? I thought it was a math score and equated to a solid "A". 🤔

I'm anxious to see the young Hawks against PU, but I feel like they will be overmatched. I can foresee a real spanking on their home court. Hopefully it doesn't cause them to be hesitant and afraid for future games.

Seems like one way to win would be to run and run ...and run and freaking run every second, so late 2nd half their big (huge) guy is gassed. But they have so many starters.. Purdue is the most scary basketball team I've seen this year, and maybe going back a few years. At least so far.

Reactions: perryhawk
Seems like one way to win would be to run and run ...and run and freaking run every second, so late 2nd half their big (huge) guy is gassed. But they have so many starters.. Purdue is the most scary basketball team I've seen this year, and maybe going back a few years. At least so far.
Agreed but then you are giving Ivy and co. a lot of looks in open space as well.

IMO, the metrics are a bit misleading. Most of Iowa's games have been blow outs where the backups and walkons played extensive minutes in the second half. Not all the games, but many of them show that in the first half (when Iowa's starters and key subs played all the minutes ) Iowa kept the opponent at a low FG%. The second half numbers show poor defense with a much higher FG% for the opposition. They certainly aren't a great defensive team, but they are miles ahead of last year.

Only chance to beat Purdue is to spread the floor and iso their bigs with our small quicker guys. Gett dribble penetration, fouls on their bigs and kick outs for 3s.

Make them guard at the 3 line the entire game.

Reactions: cheddarwurst69
IMO, the metrics are a bit misleading. Most of Iowa's games have been blow outs where the backups and walkons played extensive minutes in the second half. Not all the games, but many of them show that in the first half (when Iowa's starters and key subs played all the minutes ) Iowa kept the opponent at a low FG%. The second half numbers show poor defense with a much higher FG% for the opposition. They certainly aren't a great defensive team, but they are miles ahead of last year.

Uh huh. Now explain the Virginia game which was on par with the tourney game against Oregon.

Not to a great extent. Maybe some in a couple of the blowouts, but Iowa's defense hasn't been great even against the bad teams. Take Alabama State. That team is terrible, and Iowa couldn't guard them the whole game. Alabama State has eclipsed a point per possession exactly twice this year - against Iowa and Tuskegee. They have the 352nd best offense according to Pomeroy and they managed an effective FG% of 59% against Iowa. Adjusted for level of competition, the performance against Alabama State was just slightly worse than against Virginia.

Garza was not a great defender, but with he and Murray in the game Iowa had a shot at some interior defense at least. Iowa hasn't been good on defense since the 15-16 season, when they were 30th nationally in adjusted defensive efficiency. This coincides with the 6-year career of the Big 10's leading 3-point shooter, but that is a discussion for another day.

Not to a great extent. Maybe some in a couple of the blowouts, but Iowa's defense hasn't been great even against the bad teams. Take Alabama State. That team is terrible, and Iowa couldn't guard them the whole game. Alabama State has eclipsed a point per possession exactly twice this year - against Iowa and Tuskegee. They have the 352nd best offense according to Pomeroy and they managed an effective FG% of 59% against Iowa. Adjusted for level of competition, the performance against Alabama State was just slightly worse than against Virginia.

Garza was not a great defender, but with he and Murray in the game Iowa had a shot at some interior defense at least. Iowa hasn't been good on defense since the 15-16 season, when they were 30th nationally in adjusted defensive efficiency. This coincides with the 6-year career of the Big 10's leading 3-point shooter, but that is a discussion for another day.

As a Boiler fan, this excites me. I feel like we may be better than Alabama State :-D

Agreed but then you are giving Ivy and co. a lot of looks in open space as well.

Yes, but with press and zone, you might get turnovers and Eddy can't keep up with the fullcourt action. All it relies on is the Prayer that Purdue shooters wide open 3-pt attempts and Iowa generates more turnover than easy baskets they give up.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawksfor3
The realist in me knows Iowa seldom plays well in West Lafayette and this is a big mismatch. So as much as I like the "Iowa will learn a lot about itself" mindset, kinda feels like this could be a 30-point game 2 minutes into the second half and both teams play an end of the bench pickup game the rest of the way. At which point little is truly learned and it's one of those throwaway games you kind of dismiss for the rest of the season because it was so lopsided against a great team so early in the season.

The optimist in me hopes Iowa can hit enough 3s, Purdue plays uncharacteristically average for a few long stretches, and Iowa manages to keep this within 15 the entire game. Team heads back to Iowa City knowing they aren't elite but can be really good.

Reactions: perryhawk
I'm anxious to see the young Hawks against PU, but I feel like they will be overmatched. I can foresee a real spanking on their home court. Hopefully it doesn't cause them to be hesitant and afraid for future games.
Young?
Iowa starts a R-Senior in Bohannon, a Senior in Rebecca, a Junior in Toussaint. a Sophomore in Murray and either. R-Senior or R-Soph depending on which McCaffery starts.

Purdue starts two true Sophs (Edey and Ivey), a true Frosh (Furst) a R-Junior (Thompson) and R-Senior (Stefanovic)

It looks like the Boilers are younger.

Uh huh. Now explain the Virginia game which was on par with the tourney game against Oregon.
Like I said, not all games. I’d add Virginia shot out of their collective asses in the second half against Iowa. Their forward for example hadn’t attempted a three all year and goes 2 for 2 in the Iowa game.

• Haha
Young?
Iowa starts a R-Senior in Bohannon, a Senior in Rebecca, a Junior in Toussaint. a Sophomore in Murray and either. R-Senior or R-Soph depending on which McCaffery starts.

Purdue starts two true Sophs (Edey and Ivey), a true Frosh (Furst) a R-Junior (Thompson) and R-Senior (Stefanovic)

I don’t think Iowa is young per se. They do lack experience though.

Young?

Fair enough - I should have said inexperienced. JBo has a ton. CMac has a ton, but is not a big contributor on this team. Everyone else is either new to the B1G or getting substantially more minutes than ever before.

In any event, not as talented as PU either.

Fair enough - I should have said inexperienced. JBo has a ton. CMac has a ton, but is not a big contributor on this team. Everyone else is either new to the B1G or getting substantially more minutes than ever before.

In any event, not as talented as PU either.
No worries. Just trying to give a little friendly poke. 😀

I imagine most of the Hawk fan are aware that Purdue is basically bringing last year’s starters off of the bench this year. Only Stepfanovic remains in the starting lineup. That’s two Seniors and three R-Sophs who make up the “other” starting five.

All 10 players in the rotation all average more than 15 minutes a game with no one over 27. Deepest team I’ve seen.

No argument on that front. That being said, I truly think this team is better defensively, especially when Kris, Keagan, JoeT, Perkins and PMac/Rebacca are in.

No argument on that front. That being said, I truly think this team is better defensively, especially when Kris, Keagan, JoeT, Perkins and PMac/Rebacca are in.
Theres no good explanation for why Iowa hasn't been better on D.

This is easily the best group of individual defenders I've seen at Iowa but they're not playing with cohesion right now.

Preparation looks questionable as usual.

Theres no good explanation for why Iowa hasn't been better on D.

This is easily the best group of individual defenders I've seen at Iowa but they're not playing with cohesion right now.

Preparation looks questionable as usual.
They were pretty good in the first half against Virginia, so they are capable.

ADVERTISEMENT