ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue Game

I also don't give the Hawks much chance against Purdon't, which I thought would be the class of the B1G even before the season began. They have just about everything, and have been even better than expected, considering its early in the season. Hawks just don't have any way to defend the post against their two monsters, and that is only part of the problem.

My hope is that we play as well as we can, and don't let that game cost us the next one against Illannoy, which will be tough, but winnable.

Florida state did make Purdue uncomfortable at tines. The length and athleticism was an issue for Purdue.

It's been a long time since I've seen a team take apart FSU like that (probably Xavier back in 2016). It was going to be a huge challenge for FSU to stay competitive, even if Ngom, Ballard and McLeod would have played. Purdue is just so good with their offensive sets and if they shot the way they did Tuesday night, it's going to be a comfortable night for Purdue, IMO.

Reactions: bananabucket
It's been a long time since I've seen a team take apart FSU like that (probably Xavier back in 2016). It was going to be a huge challenge for FSU to stay competitive, even if Ngom, Ballard and McLeod would have played. Purdue is just so good with their offensive sets and if they shot the way they did Tuesday night, it's going to be a comfortable night for Purdue, IMO.
That is just how Purdue shoots. When Painter hired Shrewsberry on (PSU coach now) from Boston for his second stint, he asked him to design an unguardable offense.

That's crazy! Purdue shoots 60% from the field and 48% from the three point line every game?!?

yaEecEz.jpg

I've been watching Purdue since the mid-1980s (the Triplets of Tony Jones, Everette Stephens, and Todd Mitchell) and besides watching Glenn Robinson dominate in the 90s -- this is the most fun I've ever had watching a Purdue team.

We've been potentially great in the past, but this is another level of offense that I've never seen before.

Honestly, during the FSU game, I felt we were just "above average" on offense. We left points at the rim (hell even Ivey even missed a breakaway dunk...wth). But then you get to the box score at the end of the game, and I realize that Boiler fans are just simply spoiled this year.

I'm trying to maintain perspective, but I can tell I'm already losing that battle. I expect every good look to go in, and we've been getting a lot of good looks thanks to our offensive sets and the weapons we have on both Team 1A and Team 1B.

Our most recent E8 loss to UVA in 2019 was brutal, but it will be all worth it if this team can get us over the hump. This team will have to avoid injuries and avoid beating itself. I've never been more confident of the latter. 10 deep of bonafide experienced starters is just a luxury I never would have imagined.

At some point, the odds say we will lose this season. It just can't be Friday, our first #1 ranking is at stake.

* NOTE: The only reason that graphic above isn't 40% from 3 is that we had a game where our walk-ons came in and clunked a few 3s that dropped our 3FG% below 40% that game. They've also failed to get us to 100 in 3 games. I'm not sure if I can forgive them, but I'm working on it.

Reactions: cheddarwurst69
yaEecEz.jpg

I've been watching Purdue since the mid-1980s (the Triplets of Tony Jones, Everette Stephens, and Todd Mitchell) and besides watching Glenn Robinson dominate in the 90s -- this is the most fun I've ever had watching a Purdue team.

We've been potentially great in the past, but this is another level of offense that I've never seen before.

Honestly, during the FSU game, I felt we were just "above average" on offense. We left points at the rim (hell even Ivey even missed a breakaway dunk...wth). But then you get to the box score at the end of the game, and I realize that Boiler fans are just simply spoiled this year.

I'm trying to maintain perspective, but I can tell I'm already losing that battle. I expect every good look to go in, and we've been getting a lot of good looks thanks to our offensive sets and the weapons we have on both Team 1A and Team 1B.

Our most recent E8 loss to UVA in 2019 was brutal, but it will be all worth it if this team can get us over the hump. This team will have to avoid injuries and avoid beating itself. I've never been more confident of the latter. 10 deep of bonafide experienced starters is just a luxury I never would have imagined.

At some point, the odds say we will lose this season. It just can't be Friday, our first #1 ranking is at stake.

* NOTE: The only reason that graphic above isn't 40% from 3 is that we had a game where our walk-ons came in and clunked a few 3s that dropped our 3FG% below 40% that game. They've also failed to get us to 100 in 3 games. I'm not sure if I can forgive them, but I'm working on it.
Sasha had a couple wide open 3's to put it away vs fsu and typically, I'm yelling. Comon. We need this. When he missed them, I was like meh, we will be fine. FSU cut it to 9 a couple times and at the snap of a finger, Purdue was up 15 again. They can score fast.

Reactions: BleedinGold
yaEecEz.jpg

Not Tony Jones. Troy Lewis

Reactions: bodog57
Not Tony Jones. Troy Lewis

I'm dating myself here. But in the 86-87 season, I was 7 years old. So I do mix up that era bit. Tony Jones, Troy Lewis close enough

My mom did recently give me back a kindergarten or first-grade project I made in which I declared that I was going to be a Purdue basketball player like Troy Lewis when I grew up. Apparently, however, you have to be athletic and good at basketball to play beyond a certain age. No one told me that at the time :)

Reactions: 24 so far
I'm dating myself here. But in the 86-87 season, I was 7 years old. So I do mix up that era bit. Tony Jones, Troy Lewis close enough

My mom did recently give me back a kindergarten or first-grade project I made in which I declared that I was going to be a Purdue basketball player like Troy Lewis when I grew up. Apparently, however, you have to be athletic and good at basketball to play beyond a certain age. No one told me that at the time :)
That era was kind to Iowa too. Their Roy Marble, BJ Armstrong squads. Never forget Jeff Moe drilling 3’s against Purdue.

Is Jeffs son Pete going to be a Hawkeye?

Sasha had a couple wide open 3's to put it away vs fsu and typically, I'm yelling. Comon. We need this. When he missed them, I was like meh, we will be fine. FSU cut it to 9 a couple times and at the snap of a finger, Purdue was up 15 again. They can score fast.
Which one of the 40 year old YMCA dad's was that? You had 2 guys with receding hairlines just bombing away 3's in their New Balance. It was unreal! Seems like Purdue always has some geriatric looking dude that can shoot lights out! 😂

Reactions: amahawk and bodog57
Not much different than the players. They were effective in the first half against Virginia. Second half was great shooting by Virginia and Iowa just couldn't sustain the defensive effort. Iowa's defensive metrics are no better than they were last year. Still room for improvement as many of the guys playing are getting more extended minutes than previously in their careers. But Iowa has had a real difficult time guarding Painter teams the past few years, and I would be shocked if Iowa can successfully defend Purdue. Just too many weapons and too well-coached. If, big if, Iowa is able to slow down Purdue it will probably come from the zone and trying to limit layups/dunks at the rim and hoping Purdue just misses open 3's. Which Purdue does not seem to do. Florida State's defensive numbers are way better than Iowa's and Boilers just took them apart.
I can see Iowa mixing in some zone/switching defenses, but even when Purdue isn't shooting great it's hard to make a living zoning Painter's offenses. Especially if Trevion is in the game.

Reactions: iowanole1
IMO, the metrics are a bit misleading. Most of Iowa's games have been blow outs where the backups and walkons played extensive minutes in the second half. Not all the games, but many of them show that in the first half (when Iowa's starters and key subs played all the minutes ) Iowa kept the opponent at a low FG%. The second half numbers show poor defense with a much higher FG% for the opposition. They certainly aren't a great defensive team, but they are miles ahead of last year.
I'd like to believe that, but no they're not.

yaEecEz.jpg

No, your teams haven't been potentially great in past, B1G fans can count on Purdue flaming out in NCAA tourney no matter what their seed. That is a long post---maybe spring that on your fellow Purdue fans to get them psyched up.

Which one of the 40 year old YMCA dad's was that? You had 2 guys with receding hairlines just bombing away 3's in their New Balance. It was unreal! Seems like Purdue always has some geriatric looking dude that can shoot lights out! 😂
Purdue has two guys with no hair? Thought it was just Sasha.

Reactions: BBHawk
No, your teams haven't been potentially great in past, B1G fans can count on Purdue flaming out in NCAA tourney no matter what their seed. That is a long post---maybe spring that on your fellow Purdue fans to get them psyched up.
Purdue usually plays to their seed and never above it. I wouldn't call that flaming out.

Purdue has two guys with no hair? Thought it was just Sasha.
I thought there were at least two with receding hairlines/bald spots. Maybe it just felt like two because one was making so many I assumed there were two! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: BoilerN
I thought there were at least two with receding hairlines/bald spots. Maybe it just felt like two because one was making so many I assumed there were two! 😂
Are you remembering back to two years ago when Evan Boudreaux tore it up in IC?

I'm with the OP when it comes to getting this one over early in the season. Almost certainly a loss; likely a beatdown.
Learn from it. Taking lumps now is better than trying to recover from a bad loss in late Feb-early March when they'll hopefully be looking like a tourney qualifier.

I think its safe to say some offense is easier to guard than others. Like iu's last second play the other night in OT 1. Dribble up. Dribble for 10 seconds. Launch a 3.
That seems to encapsulate ISU's game-plan for the entire 20-21 season. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: BoilerN
This feels like the perfect storm for an absolute blood bath. Much like football, PU matches up very well vs Iowa when the teams are similar in talent. With the horses they have this year + Murray hobbled + in WL where Iowa always struggles = a long night for Iowa.

Glad to see us stepping up the competition the last two games to see what we have. We will need to play like we did in the first half vs Virginia to keep this competitive because if we play like we did in the 2nd half they will put up 120.

I am expecting a tough night for the Hawks as Purdue is very good, especially at home.

ADVERTISEMENT