ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue Game

Hawks fight the good fight but just don't have the horses. 94-77 OMHR

Boys, we will have the best player (Keegan Murray) on the court and that gives us a chance in every game. I'm hoping we see less of Jbo this game 'cause we're gonna need defense out of Perkins.

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst69
giphy.gif

Reactions: HawkRugged17
Boys, we will have the best player (Keegan Murray) on the court and that gives us a chance in every game. I'm hoping we see less of Jbo this game 'cause we're gonna need defense out of Perkins.
are you saying keegan Murray is the best player on the court for Iowa or for both teams?

Young?
Iowa starts a R-Senior in Bohannon, a Senior in Rebecca, a Junior in Toussaint. a Sophomore in Murray and either. R-Senior or R-Soph depending on which McCaffery starts.

Purdue starts two true Sophs (Edey and Ivey), a true Frosh (Furst) a R-Junior (Thompson) and R-Senior (Stefanovic)

It looks like the Boilers are younger.
Thompson is a true junior

It probably has to do with defense. Virginia places a huge priority on defense over offense. If you're not a strong defender you don't play.
Uh...ok. Iowa scored fewer points when he was on the floor.
So why isn't he starting. Is he a worse defender? Explain.

🙂

They are so much better at switching. Literally a couple of steps faster this year, the first half of the Virginia game is a good example. Virginia was going inside but getting stopped and Iowa was fast enough on defense to cover the kick outs.
I think we are going to see how bad of a defensive team we still are. We do not match up well with Purdue...nor many big ten teams for that matter. We have not played a team that is known to score very much. I predict we will get into some foul trouble early. Murrays and Filip haven't seen anyone like Purdue's bigs yet this season. If we have an off shooting night, this will get ugly. If we are on, we still only have a little shot. I'm afraid it'll be like this all season. Preparing for the worst.

I think we are going to see how bad of a defensive team we still are. We do not match up well with Purdue...nor many big ten teams for that matter. We have not played a team that is known to score very much. I predict we will get into some foul trouble early. Murrays and Filip haven't seen anyone like Purdue's bigs yet this season. If we have an off shooting night, this will get ugly. If we are on, we still only have a little shot. I'm afraid it'll be like this all season. Preparing for the worst.
Is Murry going to play? Saw his ankle was bothering him?

Both teams! I know Ivey will have something to say about it.
Here's the problem...Murray is the only player on Iowa that would make the top ten on Purdue's team. I've watched Purdue a few times this year...they attack you defensively...no space and take you out of your offense. They are so deep with talent that they just wear you out. They are truly 10 deep. Travion Williams doesn't start...this is a guy that started for two years.

They are a match up problem for our guards as Bohannon can guard none of them. Ivey is a match up problem in the middle too. What will happen is our zone will collapse in the middle and they will kick it out for open threes...and bury them. You have to be able to play them man...and that means Perkins and Ulis are going to have to get a ton of minutes...hopefully.

Not even sure he's going to play, or how much. Tough stretch of games in the next 10 days. May not see much of him nursing that ankle.....

Here's the problem...Murray is the only player on Iowa that would make the top ten on Purdue's team. I've watched Purdue a few times this year...they attack you defensively...no space and take you out of your offense. They are so deep with talent that they just wear you out. They are truly 10 deep. Travion Williams doesn't start...this is a guy that started for two years.

They are a match up problem for our guards as Bohannon can guard none of them. Ivey is a match up problem in the middle too. What will happen is our zone will collapse in the middle and they will kick it out for open threes...and bury them. You have to be able to play them man...and that means Perkins and Ulis are going to have to get a ton of minutes...hopefully.
Theres no conceivable reason for Iowa to be playing zone this year.

Not saying Fran won't do it but it shouldn't even be an option.

I'm excited to watch but Purdue might have their best team in a long time. Solid at every position and good depth as well.

Theres no conceivable reason for Iowa to be playing zone this year.

Not saying Fran won't do it but it shouldn't even be an option.

This assumes Luka was vast majority of the problem with last years defense.

With all the returning minutes, what exactly makes you so sure the m2m defense is vastly improved?

Virginia has played 8 games, including against some really bad teams. Guess which defense gave up the most points out of any of them? I mean maybe you’re right but I don’t see how this is a certainty with the horrid early schedule and VA result…

Last edited:
What do you think after the Purdue game? They played great D tonight against arguably the best offensive team in the country.
Tonight they played their best defense of the season by far. If they can play it that way going forward the sky's the limit.

Reactions: SI_NYC
This assumes Luka was vast majority of the problem with last years defense.

With all the returning minutes, what exactly makes you so sure the m2m defense is vastly improved?

Virginia has played 8 games, including against some really bad teams. Guess which defense gave up the most points out of any of them? I mean maybe you’re right but I don’t see how this is a certainty with the horrid early schedule and VA result…
Im not following your point I guess?

Are you assuming the reason Fran plays zone is because his team is bad at defense?

Because Im operating on the assumption that the reason his team was playing poor defense was in large part because of the zone.

Im not following your point I guess?

Are you assuming the reason Fran plays zone is because his team is bad at defense?

Because Im operating on the assumption that the reason his team was playing poor defense was in large part because of the zone.

Jbo and the McCaffrey bros were terrible in man to man defense last year (watch Oregon tape), and there is no proven rim protecter at the 5 either.

Jbo and the McCaffrey bros were terrible in man to man defense last year (watch Oregon tape), and there is no proven rim protecter at the 5 either.
You're not wrong but what is your point?

You're saying Iowa should be playing zone this year?

Because those 3 were bad in man last year?

A, this ignores the rest of the roster that are all very good in man.

B. Iowa was worse at zone last year than man.

C. All 3 of the players you mentioned are playing better defense this year, especially Connor, and they are almost never on the court all together.

D. Not having a rim protector doesn't change regardless of what defense you're in.

ADVERTISEMENT