ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs Clemson

QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
Zach Edey is huge but lacks athleticism

ZachwSusan_web-1016x1024.jpg

7’4” huh? That might actually be too tall for basketball, if there is such a thing.

There aren’t many notable players over 7’2” in NBA history. Rik Smits and Yao Ming are the only ones that come to mind, most of the “super tall” players either specialized in one thing (either blocking shots or inbound passes), or if they really did have the goods to be a successful player, they tended to be ridiculously injury-prone.

7’4” huh? That might actually be too tall for basketball, if there is such a thing.

There aren’t many notable players over 7’2” in NBA history. Rik Smits and Yao Ming are the only ones that come to mind, most of the “super tall” players either specialized in one thing (either blocking shots or inbound passes), or if they really did have the goods to be a successful player, they tended to be ridiculously injury-prone.
Of course Manute Bol and there was another guy who was 7'7" l believe as well.

I watched the game and he's pretty good for only playing basketball for such a short amount of time. Playing against Iowa he won't be able to leave Garza to help out other Purdue players on defense so I will be interested to see how they defense Garza. The kid is not skinny by any means 285lbs and uses his behind to gain position on offensive and defense to an extreme. Him and Williams spilt time on the court. I guess that 2 of the Boilers are out with injuries so there not at full strength.

At some point one of these guys has to be as dumb and uncoordinated as they look. Every one of these projects has worked out for them. They are due for a bust

Unless he get's injured at some point in his college career, I doubt he will be a bust. He may be better then the last 2 bigs that Purdue put on the floor....

Zach Edey is huge but lacks athleticism

Sure, he only played hockey and baseball until
Starting basketball about three years ago. Named to Canadian junior national team six months after first basketball game. Led Purdue in scoring his first two games playing less than half the games.
ZachwSusan_web-1016x1024.jpg

Going back to the 80s/90s, I believe Ralph Sampson was 7' 4". He had some really good years with the Rockets when he first came into the league, but if I remember correctly, his level of play declined significantly after suffering knee and back injuries. Still, when he first came out of college he was pretty damn good.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Edey is averaging 18.5 points and 6.5 RBs in Purdue's first two games. He's only playing half the game. Wonder about his stamina as you would think he would play more, especially in a close loss to Clemson. He's only a freshman so he might develop into a nasty weapon for them.

I'd go right at him with Garza at first, if he proves to be an adequate post defender then put him in pick and roll if they play man or let Garza spot up outside and shoot over guards if they go zone.

Edey is averaging 18.5 points and 6.5 RBs in Purdue's first two games. He's only playing half the game. Wonder about his stamina as you would think he would play more, especially in a close loss to Clemson. He's only a freshman so he might develop into a nasty weapon for them.
It's just 2 games, but he has been a total surprise for Purdue fans. We figured he would RS but our other backup center has hardly practiced due to breathing issues. Edey is better than Haarms or Haas were at this point in their careers. He is kind of a cross between those 2 players and has a lot better footwork than Haas. Edey can move laterally unlike Haas ever could and he's quicker off his feet too. He played baseball and hockey in Canada so he does have some athletic skills. He does need to strengthen up., though, for B1G basketball.

It's just 2 games, but he has been a total surprise for Purdue fans. We figured he would RS but our other backup center has hardly practiced due to breathing issues. Edey is better than Haarms or Haas were at this point in their careers. He is kind of a cross between those 2 players and has a lot better footwork than Haas. Edey can move laterally unlike Haas ever could and he's quicker off his feet too. He played baseball and hockey in Canada so he does have some athletic skills. He does need to strengthen up., though, for B1G basketball.

Moves really really well for his size

Reactions: TheCainer

I had no clue you were a Purdue fan. He's absolutely huge though.

Yeah, Purdue fans suffer kind of like "our most-hated rivals" Iowa fans, always hoping for a brighter tomorrow. Ironic that 1980 was both of our school's last Final Four. ;)

Yes, yes but now that I know this I believe I am obligated to hate you. As mentioned, Delaney said so.

That or we can't beat you fools in men's hoops or football. Wait till your club hockey team has to play our club hockey team. You won't even know what hit you as we no longer play in the mall!

Yes, yes but now that I know this I believe I am obligated to hate you. As mentioned, Delaney said so.

That or we can't beat you fools in men's hoops or football. Wait till your club hockey team has to play our club hockey team. You won't even know what hit you as we no longer play in the mall!
LOL! I am not sure if we even have a Club Hockey team. It's been years since I was a student at Purdue, at least 40.

As I used to say, may Badgers overrun your cornfields and may Gophers infest your grain bins!!!!!

Take that!!! ;)

Edey is averaging 18.5 points and 6.5 RBs in Purdue's first two games. He's only playing half the game. Wonder about his stamina as you would think he would play more than, especiallyy in a close loss to Clemson. He's only a freshman so he might develop into a nasty weapon for them.
He is backup to an All Big Ten junior center.

LOL! I am not sure if we even have a Club Hockey team. It's been years since I was a student at Purdue, at least 40.

As I used to say, may Badgers overrun your cornfields and may Gophers infest your grain bins!!!!!

Take that!!! ;)

Well, the Badgers have been doing what they want to us in football so you may be on to something. The Gophers can kick rocks.

As far as farming goes, that department is at Moo St. down the road.

It sort of looked like he was 9-12 inches taller than almost everyone guarding him. Would guess he won't do so well in the B1G, but I guess if he cuts his stats in half and plays 30 minutes, he would still be doing well.

How tall was Raply Sampson. I think he won a NBA championship with the Rockets

Reactions: HawkRugged17
ADVERTISEMENT