ADVERTISEMENT

****Purdue vs Iowa Game Thread****

Nah.

Purdue has the size to skip the ball around against our defense and make close outs tougher.

But more importantly than that, when you're an undersized team needing to double on Edey to keep him from dominating inside, that's gonna leave guys open outside.............then refer back to their length and ability to move the ball on top of that.

Tonight they were locked on and hit their shots.

They won't hit those exact same shots against anyone else. And yes I'm talking about the exact same wide open uncontested shots that they WILL get.

Nobody else, will they shoot that well against.

Just food for thought to bring you off the ledge........did it work? :cool:
But somehow most every team has somebody who has a career night against us.

At least it was entertaining for part of the second half when they cut it to 5.

It's looking like keeping it close against a good team is their peak.
Hey let's not short 'em, cut it to 4, 57-53 at the 12 minute mark. And then Purdue hit 3 or 4 threes in a row to answer our push. Ugh.

Reactions: amahawk
Nah.

Purdue has the size to skip the ball around against our defense and make close outs tougher.

But more importantly than that, when you're an undersized team needing to double on Edey to keep him from dominating inside, that's gonna leave guys open outside.............then refer back to their length and ability to move the ball on top of that.

Tonight they were locked on and hit their shots.

They won't hit those exact same shots against anyone else. And yes I'm talking about the exact same wide open uncontested shots that they WILL get.

Nobody else, will they shoot that well against.

Just food for thought to bring you off the ledge........did it work? :cool:
The way to stop that is play Kris at the 5.

Drive at Eddy every time down court and he's on the bench in 5 minutes.

I’m just glad to see more of you realizing the problem is Fran. He’s terrible at his job.
He's not terrible at his job. IMO he's done a good job at building a roster that can compete, maybe not at the highest levels but they can certainly compete. His offense when it's running well is a thing of beauty. Where Fran falls flat is in personnel management and defensive philosophy. His unwillingness to get his best players on the floor for more minutes kneecaps the team from reaching it's full potential. He did it last year with Keegan and he's doing it this year with Kris. Tonight's a perfect example. He was finally forced to play Kris extended minutes tonight because of Rebraca and then he insists on sitting Keegan with 2 fouls watching Purdue pull away. Keegan finishes with just 3 fouls. Fran playing Cmac right now is completely indefensible. I think Fran's mishandling of personnel in the games is the biggest part of what makes seasons like this so frustrating to a fan.

He's not terrible at his job. IMO he's done a good job at building a roster that can compete, maybe not at the highest levels but they can certainly compete. His offense when it's running well is a thing of beauty. Where Fran falls flat is in personnel management and defensive philosophy. His unwillingness to get his best players on the floor for more minutes kneecaps the team from reaching it's full potential. He did it last year with Keegan and he's doing it this year with Kris. Tonight's a perfect example. He was finally forced to play Kris extended minutes tonight because of Rebraca and then he insists on sitting Keegan with 2 fouls watching Purdue pull away. Keegan finishes with just 3 fouls. Fran playing Cmac right now is completely indefensible. I think Fran's mishandling of personnel in the games is the biggest part of what makes seasons like this so frustrating to a fan.
Spot on.

Reactions: Hawksfinal4
So you do realize that roster management and defense are huge parts of his job? Kudos to Fran for offering the Murrays. He has shown an eye for underrated talent in his time at Iowa (White, Olaseni, Murrays, Garza, others). But his blindspot for playing a 6th year guy who just isn't very good and his son is just kneecapping his team. I would say he is doing a borderline terrible job with 2 future NBA picks on the team this year in the Murrays.

So you do realize that roster management and defense are huge parts of his job? Kudos to Fran for offering the Murrays. He has shown an eye for underrated talent in his time at Iowa (White, Olaseni, Murrays, Garza, others). But his blindspot for playing a 6th year guy who just isn't very good and his son is just kneecapping his team. I would say he is doing a borderline terrible job with 2 future NBA picks on the team this year in the Murrays.
Hes doing about as bad of a job as possible.

Oh he's absolutely terrible at those parts of the job. How about we agree that he is doing truly terrible at roughly half his job and call it a day. How's that? Are we good?

Reactions: RocknRollface
Oh he's absolutely terrible at those parts of the job. How about we agree that he is doing truly terrible at roughly half his job and call it a day. How's that? Are we good?
Sure. I'm not on the Fire Fran bandwagon. He's proven to be a great teacher of offense and good job of identifying under the radar players. Roster management not good.

Well, they'll probably be playing teams that guard the 3. I'm guessing that percentage will come down.
I agree, but the fact is they have excellent 3 point shooters, most who also have size, and when you double the post, they find the open guys, although Iowa has poor defensive players, I think you also give credit to this shooters, and to oainter for utilizing his bigs to create this opportunity

= coaching prowess

Someone told me "wow, we came back from 18 down to just 4 down...if....blah, blah". I said, "well we were down 18...that is part of the issue...I don't care about closing the gap and making the game look close. Win the damn game. Play 40 minutes."
We are such a good loser

Reactions: DewHawk
If this is a rebuilding year with Keegan and Kris....what is it going to be next year? I don't see them being better after keegan leaves.
Keegan and Kris have saved Fran's ass this year. It's not like Keegan has a hard decision. Go to the NBA and get paid or come back to a team that will likely finish bottom 4 in the conference.

There were plenty of open shots that we often make.
There was a lot of pressure on Iowa to hit the shots that were uncontested. The rate at which Purdue was making shots, if Iowa missed, the deficit was going to increase. The pressure to make shots when you have the lead is not the same as being behind.

Our lottery pick hasn’t shown up yet! Not a good game. Conner leads us in points, rebounds, and steals.

ADVERTISEMENT