ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue's Defense Compared to our Final 3 Opponents

Ripcord280

HR All-State
Aug 30, 2016
how do they compare to Wisconsin, Minnesota,and nebraska, defensively and otherwise?

I thought I read on here somewhere that Purdue was 25th against the run nationally, which is pretty good if true. I guess Kaleb Johnson must not have gotten the word.

but,how do they compare to Wisconsin defesively? Wisky is always so stout on that side of the ball, and seem to be the team to beat in the West ever since Leonard took over. just my perception. they also do not appear to have the strong tight ends/recievers that they normally have, but the running game is obviously there.

Minnesota looks a bit banged up, as does nebraska. (sorry, I cannot bring myself to difnify them with a capital letter) so I am really hoping we can win two of the last three to salvage a 7-5 season, sort of like 2005.

how do they compare to Wisconsin, Minnesota,and nebraska, defensively and otherwise?

I thought I read on here somewhere that Purdue was 25th against the run nationally, which is pretty good if true. I guess Kaleb Johnson must not have gotten the word.

but,how do they compare to Wisconsin defesively? Wisky is always so stout on that side of the ball, and seem to be the team to beat in the West ever since Leonard took over. just my perception. they also do not appear to have the strong tight ends/recievers that they normally have, but the running game is obviously there.

Minnesota looks a bit banged up, as does nebraska. (sorry, I cannot bring myself to difnify them with a capital letter) so I am really hoping we can win two of the last three to salvage a 7-5 season, sort of like 2005.

I believe Wisconsin has the best remaining defense on the schedule, I think 34th going into this week. still good, but not their usual elite defense.

Purdue was a cakewalk compared to Wisconsin. Wisconsin is still a very physical team at heart. Honestly I don't think we match up with them unless Iowa can figure out a way to be somewhat effective running the ball against them.

The hawks can win all three as Nebby doesnt play much defense. Non of the last three opponents are world beaters.

Getting by Wisky might be tougher psychologically than football wise.

This can't be said enough. If there were a year, this is probably it. They have little on offense besides Allen.

Honestly, the game plan defensively the next two weeks should be darn near identical. Stop or slowdown Allen/Ibrahim and force Mertz/Morgan (or his backup, sounds like he might be injured) to beat us through the air.

And this isn't a vintage, lock-down Wisconsin defense either.

This can't be said enough. If there were a year, this is probably it. They have little on offense besides Allen.
The psychological damage with Wisconsin is with us fans, not the current Iowa players.

They whipped Iowa’s ass last year in Madison.

Iowa whipped Wisky’s ass in Iowa City the year before.

Guarantee the 2022 Hawkeyes coming off two dominant wins aren’t looking at this matchup thinking of all the pain Wisconsin has caused us poor fans over the years.

Does anybody know where Purdue ranks against the run, agains the pass,and scoring defense-wise? I could have swornI read 25th against the run but now cannot seem to re-locate that thread. oh, well.

I think Purdue had been struggling with bad pass D which actually allowed us to do a little bit in that area.

Reactions: jonesy5960
Does anybody know where Purdue ranks against the run, agains the pass,and scoring defense-wise? I could have swornI read 25th against the run but now cannot seem to re-locate that thread. oh, well.
I like the advanced analytics from places like Football Outsiders much better than raw yards per game given up, or raw yards rushing, raw yards passing, etc. The yardage totals can vary so much based on competition and game condition.

According to Football Outsiders, Iowa State, Illinois, Ohio State and Illinois are all in Top 10 in defense. The Iowa offense was still awful through 7 games, as Iowa was still bad on offense against South Dakota State and Nevada, and not very good against Rutgers. The Rutgers example is why the advanced stats are much better than the raw yardage totals. Rutgers (going into the Michigan game) was still top 20 in yards allowed per game as they beat the worst FCS team out there by holding them under 60 yards of offense and also played Temple (and Iowa). Football Outsiders had Rutgers as 50 on defense going into this weekend.

Purdue was ranked 42nd in Football Outsiders on defense. Wisconsin is 24 and Minnesota 20. So Iowa will be facing good defenses the next 2 weeks, but not to the caliber of the Iowa State, OSU, Illinois and Michigan defenses.

Badgers have appeared to find their footing in recent weeks. Mertz actually has good numbers this year, although he was terrible against Maryland in bad weather.

If, big if, Iowa can continue to make incremental progress on offense they have a shot of winning out. Nebraska is just plain bad, so losing to them would be disappointing. Key the next 2 games will be not falling behind by more than a score. Have to force Mertz and whoever Minnesota is playing at QB to HAVE to throw the ball and get some turnovers. If they can just run it and not take any chances on offense, Iowa will have trouble.

Reactions: TKingpin

Skyler Bell 🛎️ ring a 🛎️? Once a Hawkeye recruit and nearly went to Iowa? He’s having a nice little season

Pretty much everyone in college football . . . UNI, Appalachian State, Liberty . . . have better defenses than NW and Purdue . . . combined. The "defense" those two teams put on the field against Iowa would make Big 12 teams blush. But that's just IMHO, of course.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
Pretty much everyone in college football . . . UNI, Appalachian State, Liberty . . . have better defenses than NW and Purdue . . . combined. The "defense" those two teams put on the field against Iowa would make Big 12 teams blush. But that's just IMHO, of course.

LOL….yep and that’s why there are so many posters running around in here saying, just ask beattheohiost, he is full of wonderful opinions!

LOL….yep and that’s why there are so many posters running around in here saying, just ask beattheohiost, he is full of wonderful opinions!
I think favorite part is how he said “but that’s just in my honest opinion, of course.”

Reactions: cmhawks99
Total D
1 Illinois
2 Michigan
3 Iowa
6 OSU
7 Minnesota
10 ISU
18 Rutgers
23 Wisconsin
39 Purdue
72 Nevada