ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue's Final Four a microcosm of Iowa

jonesy5960

HR Legend
Sep 6, 2012
with Garza. Dominant inside player gets his while the guards get absolutely dominated by the opponent. Purdue guards were 6-22 for 17 points while Uconn guards went 21-44 for 55 points. Smith and Loyer were 4-18 for 14 points in their previous game vs NC State. Smith was particularly brutal in the 2 games going 5-21 for 15 points.

UConn had the most balanced team in the tournament, had the best guard play, had a rim protector to allow those guards to run shooters off the 3 point line, were big, unselfish and had multiple ball handlers and shooters. They had many more ways of winning games than any of their opponents and any team in college basketball because of those things; they could play big, they could play small, they could defend and win in the 50's and they could run up and down the court.

Purdue was like Iowa in the fact that everyone knew who their best player was and what their winning condition was going to have to be. This made them have a much more limited way of winning the game. Take Edey out of the game and Purdue was a pretty average team. Everyone knew it including UConn.

The best team won the championship. Sometimes teams win and you can say they were able to do it because they had a good path and were able to avoid matchups. Anyone can be beaten on any given day and we see that all the time in the tournament, but I believe that UConn could have lined up and beat every team in the field.

I disagree to an extent. Maybe they didn't have the best guards in the F4. Iowa hasn't had good enough guard play and defense to get them out of the first weekend ever under Fran. There is a big difference in the level of teams Purdue lost to compared to Richmond and Oregon.
Yes, Iowa's guard play has always been weak under Fran and I think Fran's absolute Ceiliing is sweet16.

However, Edey was far more dominant on both offense and defense and rebounding and ability to stay out of foul trouble. So Purdue's upside was >>> Iowa's with Garza.

The strategy to beat Purdue was to be able to guard Edey 1 on 1 and let him have his points, but stop the guard' 3 point shooting. That was same strategy Oregon used to beat Iowa.

I had thought that Clingan would have foul trouble and not be able to guard Edey 1 on 1, but he did, and UCONN was able to shut down Purdue's guards--so I was wrong thinking Purdue would win.

Loyer, Braden Smith, and Lance Jones > than Fredrick, JBO, CMAC, but none of those 6 guys are good athletes with size. Painter did not get the supporting cast he needed to win Title and UCONN was Unique team with 7'2 Clingen to be able to matchup.

The Chances of Painter getting another Edey seem low--once in career type recruit, but Painter will continue to win Big10 titles over his career.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
There's similarities. The difference is Painter plays his young players over previous starters who aren't as good and Fran had two future 1st round picks sitting behind his son's.

with Garza. Dominant inside player gets his while the guards get absolutely dominated by the opponent. Purdue guards were 6-22 for 17 points while Uconn guards went 21-44 for 55 points. Smith and Loyer were 4-18 for 14 points in their previous game vs NC State. Smith was particularly brutal in the 2 games going 5-21 for 15 points.
I was thinking the same…Iowa’s program is essentially a poor man’s Purdue program, with the main difference being Painter > Fran. I honestly think the BT’s best chance at a NC may come from Underwood….

I disagree to an extent. Maybe they didn't have the best guards in the F4. Iowa hasn't had good enough guard play and defense to get them out of the first weekend ever under Fran. There is a big difference in the level of teams Purdue lost to compared to Richmond and Oregon.
You're missing the point.....

Yes, Iowa's guard play has always been weak under Fran and I think Fran's absolute Ceiliing is sweet16.

However, Edey was far more dominant on both offense and defense and rebounding and ability to stay out of foul trouble. So Purdue's upside was >>> Iowa's with Garza.

The strategy to beat Purdue was to be able to guard Edey 1 on 1 and let him have his points, but stop the guard' 3 point shooting. That was same strategy Oregon used to beat Iowa.

I had thought that Clingan would have foul trouble and not be able to guard Edey 1 on 1, but he did, and UCONN was able to shut down Purdue's guards--so I was wrong thinking Purdue would win.

Loyer, Braden Smith, and Lance Jones > than Fredrick, JBO, CMAC, but none of those 6 guys are good athletes with size. Painter did not get the supporting cast he needed to win Title and UCONN was Unique team with 7'2 Clingen to be able to matchup.

The Chances of Painter getting another Edey seem low--once in career type recruit, but Painter will continue to win Big10 titles over his career.
I was wondering if Painter gets approached by Kentucky.

• Wow
Reactions: Rambler Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT