ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue's top WR flunks out

Digger1

HR Heisman
Sep 30, 2001

Purdue receiver Milton Wright failed to meet academic eligibility standards and is no longer on the team, GoldandBlack.com has learned.

The senior-to-be was expected to be Purdue's No. 1 receiver in 2022 with David Bell off a year early to the NFL.

Wright missed the Boilermakers' Music City Bowl win vs. Tennessee in December because of academics. The Louisville, Ky., native also missed spring drills so he could focus on academics.

The 6-3 Wright made a career-high 57 catches for 732 yards and seven TDs in 2022. He had 24 catches for 305 yards and two scores in 2020 after debuting with 18 receptions for 288 yards and a TD in 2019. He finished his career with 99 catches for 1,325 yards (13.4 ypc) and 10 TDs.

It's not known what Wright will do next. He could enter the NFL supplemental draft.

Jeff Brohm's sixth Purdue team still will have good options at wideout, led by the foursome of Broc Thompson, Mershawn Rice, Abdur-Rahmaan Yaseen and T.J. Sheffield. All four missed spring drills due to injury but are on course to be ready for camp in August. Collin Sullivan is another veteran to watch.

Thompson was a breakout star in the Music City Bowl who earned MVP honors by making seven catches for 217 yards with two touchdowns while playing on two bad knees.

Rice's promising career never has gotten on track due to injury. He looked poised for a breakout in 2021 before a foot injury in September vs. Notre Dame ended his season.

Yaseen also saw his season end in September after he aggravated a 2020 knee injury in practice.

Sheffield is rebounding from an ankle injury suffered while making a TD catch in the Music City Bowl. Can he regain the promising form he flashed in 2021? Sheffield could morph into a key weapon in 2022.

Purdue is folding in two transfers: Tyrone Tracy (Iowa) and Elijah Canion (Auburn). Tracy is a speedy, proven target who has starting experience. It wouldn't be a shock if the Indianapolis native earns a starting spot. Canion is a bigger target who is more potential than proven commodity.

Purdue had Texas receiver Marcus Washington on campus for a visit earlier this week, and there's a good chance he'll commit.

Staffers are excited about Deion Burks, who flashed late in 2021 as a true freshman. He could emerge as a key weapon. Classmate Preston Terrell also drips with promise. Will they seize the opportunity?

i apologize for the poor sportsmanship in advance but
vhpy.gif

Purdue receiver Milton Wright failed to meet academic eligibility standards and is no longer on the team, GoldandBlack.com has learned.

The senior-to-be was expected to be Purdue's No. 1 receiver in 2022 with David Bell off a year early to the NFL.

Wright missed the Boilermakers' Music City Bowl win vs. Tennessee in December because of academics. The Louisville, Ky., native also missed spring drills so he could focus on academics.

The 6-3 Wright made a career-high 57 catches for 732 yards and seven TDs in 2022. He had 24 catches for 305 yards and two scores in 2020 after debuting with 18 receptions for 288 yards and a TD in 2019. He finished his career with 99 catches for 1,325 yards (13.4 ypc) and 10 TDs.

It's not known what Wright will do next. He could enter the NFL supplemental draft.

Jeff Brohm's sixth Purdue team still will have good options at wideout, led by the foursome of Broc Thompson, Mershawn Rice, Abdur-Rahmaan Yaseen and T.J. Sheffield. All four missed spring drills due to injury but are on course to be ready for camp in August. Collin Sullivan is another veteran to watch.

Thompson was a breakout star in the Music City Bowl who earned MVP honors by making seven catches for 217 yards with two touchdowns while playing on two bad knees.

Rice's promising career never has gotten on track due to injury. He looked poised for a breakout in 2021 before a foot injury in September vs. Notre Dame ended his season.

Yaseen also saw his season end in September after he aggravated a 2020 knee injury in practice.

Sheffield is rebounding from an ankle injury suffered while making a TD catch in the Music City Bowl. Can he regain the promising form he flashed in 2021? Sheffield could morph into a key weapon in 2022.

Purdue is folding in two transfers: Tyrone Tracy (Iowa) and Elijah Canion (Auburn). Tracy is a speedy, proven target who has starting experience. It wouldn't be a shock if the Indianapolis native earns a starting spot. Canion is a bigger target who is more potential than proven commodity.

Purdue had Texas receiver Marcus Washington on campus for a visit earlier this week, and there's a good chance he'll commit.

Staffers are excited about Deion Burks, who flashed late in 2021 as a true freshman. He could emerge as a key weapon. Classmate Preston Terrell also drips with promise. Will they seize the opportunity?
Good. Anything to make Jeff Brohm have to try even harder than he already does to beat Iowa.........

So I guess the guys who signed million+ NIL deals must all be nose-to-the-grindstone academic warriors since they all are eligible.

Reactions: Ronman
Man, you almost have to try to be academically ineligible.
From what we’ve seen and heard on our college visits, this is exactly my thought. You have to try to fail as there’s so much support for football players.

Kid had to be a real dumbass and probably didn't bother attending a single class.

Let's be real honest - it really doesn't take that much effort for an athlete to at least do the bare minimum and make it through the classroom with even just a C average.

Man, you almost have to try to be academically ineligible.
with all the excessive help between tutors, online classes, steered towards “favorable classes and study halls or academic centers that help athletes on papers you don’t see nearly amount of these situations you once saw more frequently 15-20 years ago and beyond.

Situation reminds me of former Iowa wr jermnic smith. Remember reading how at Iclub event KF said how kid barely even tried when it came to improving his grades or something along those lines.

Last edited:
Geez, who flunks out in a big program any more? With all the help they get?

I'm sorry, but this guy must not be very smart at all,

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
I will guess there is more to it. To have this declared this early, prior to any j term, summer school classes is interesting

Geez, who flunks out in a big program any more? With all the help they get?

I'm sorry, but this guy must not be very smart at all,

Some of the kids really are insufficiently intelligent, or prepared for post secondary education-as anyone that ever had a conversation with Johnny Fort knows. Some are just immature or inherently lazy/apathetic and don't try, maybe a Ray Thompson attitude; Ray was absolutely smart enough to remain eligible.

There's enough educational assistance available to varsity athlete to allow anyone sufficiently intelligent for Iowa to remain eligible at Iowa. I'm sure that is true of every Big Ten school. I'm all for giving a marginal academic a chance. At least they'll be in an academic environment and might learn something.​

When both Davis brothers at ISU were kept academically eligible, that shows you how hard it is to fail.
One of them had the lowest wonderlich score ever at the combine. I believe it was a 4. His corresponding IQ level would be different degrees of 'room temperature' based on which estimating method you use. But ya, I'm sure he was genuinely passing college classes. From people I know at Iowa State during those years it was very widely acknowledged around campus he was completely illiterate.

One of them had the lowest wonderlich score ever at the combine. I believe it was a 4. His corresponding IQ level would be different degrees of 'room temperature' based on which estimating method you use. But ya, I'm sure he was genuinely passing college classes. From people I know at Iowa State during those years it was very widely acknowledged around campus he was completely illiterate.
Well, when you are out of football readin' and writin' and 'rithmetic ain't. everything.

He was ineligible for the bowl game and sat put spring practice. I'd guess there isn't much more to it.
So he has shown he just doesn't care to be bothered with school and has dug too deep of a hole to get out of? Players can usually dig out of any hole in j term/summer school.

Wow. That is pretty rare these days with all the help the players get but they still have some good young receivers.

So he has shown he just doesn't care to be bothered with school and has dug too deep of a hole to get out of? Players can usually dig out of any hole in j term/summer school.
Brohm said all spring he was out to focus on school to hopefully be eligible by fall. Guess he didn't get it all taken care of. Probably got kicked out of Purdue.

Wasn't Vince Young a 4 or a 6 as well? The lowest score ever for a QB. They probably just drew the plays in the dirt at Texas.....

Sorry but if he's Purdue's #1 WR the odds are still good he goes for 200 and 3 against us from the bench.

ADVERTISEMENT