ADVERTISEMENT

Purposeful reveals by Iowa vs ISU ... "new" observations

ghostOfHomer777

HR Heisman
May 20, 2014
It should come as no surprise that the most dominant player on a Kirk Ferentz team might just be the punter ... "but can he punt" ... hell yeah, he can!

So this leads into this weeks "reveals" ... (last week I mentioned some reveals that got me thinking from the IU game ... continuing that theme ...)

Reveal #1: We flashed a new punt protection against ISU ... we showed it twice ... but only used it once (if memory serves).

This one is actually pretty important and pretty obvious. Tory Taylor is a freaking assassin! Opposing teams are going to start coming after him because he's such a lethal weapon. Flashing a new protection gives opposing special teams more that they have to prep for ... potentially making it harder for them to specialize in exploiting just one of our protections.

Reveal #2: Goodson continues to "keep" from the Wildcat. Obviously, a big part of having us use the Wildcat is to get the ball directly into Tyler's hands ... and then (hopefully) also give him the numbers advantage as it relates to the blockers. Thus, it's not necessarily so egregious that he has always been keeping. However, is part of the deal here that maybe he's been also instructed to keep it? Iowa has a tendency to purposely establish tendencies so that they can exploit opposing Ds when they depart from tendency. Iowa fans often lament this observation ... claiming that Iowa's O is predictable. However, this is also the very reason why the Hawks tend to have a lot of success in the play-action game. As Fitzy has always said about the Hawks ... the Hawks really try to "choose" their shots.

Reveal #3: Using I-formation personnel ... splitting Goodson out wide ... and then still giving the ball to the fullback down the middle. This affords Iowa the ability to attempt to be "multiple" ... even with our I-formation personnel. By the way ... perhaps I'm biased ... but Pottebaum really impressed me last year as a FB ... one of the best first years of starts by a FB at Iowa that I remember seeing in a while (and that was even in a covid-shortened season). I can see why the coaches want to see if they can get more flexibility and usage out of that personnel group. It not only affords us with a short-yardage running option ... but it allows us to get Goodson out in space while still providing Spencer an extra blocking in the backfield. And, of course, we can always motion Goodson back to tailback ... and Pottebaum can play the role of the lead-blocker too.

Reveal #4: Last week, one the of the surprising defensive reveals was the willingness to move VanValkenburg all over the place. I believe that I noted seeing him at LDE, RDE, ... and he even lined up for a snap at one of the DT spots. This week, one of the newer "reveals" was giving Evans every-down reps. Last week, he was used exclusively in our pass-rush package. I wonder if the "lack" of reveal last week against IU was intentional ... I actually doubt it. I anticipate that our early lead afforded the coaches an opportunity to give Craig and Hurkett extra game reps.

Last edited:
Reveal #5: Last week, a bunch of our pressures came more from twists and stunts. This, week, one of the wrinkles sprinkled in were zone blitzes. Also, the zone blitzes didn't seem to favor a side either ... I believe I recall seeing DEs from either side drop back in coverage while a DB and LB came in and brought some heat.

Last edited:
I'm wondering about the Iowa wildcat. I understand that it's primarily about getting an extra blocker on the field in front of the running back. At the same time if the wildcat formation always signals a run, doesn't that tend to draw up the safeties negating that advantage? Wouldn't the wildcat be more effective with a back that was more of a passing threat? Has Goodson ever passed our of this formation? If so I don't recall. What am I missing here?

I think Goodson mentioned in an interview that he hopes to pass from the wildcat.

I think Goodson mentioned in an interview that he hopes to pass from the wildcat.
Could be one of those deals where they're playing the long game. Keep giving Goodson a wildcat run every game, and then have him pop an unexpected pass in a crucial situation later in the season.

Other than that, I think I'd like to see them try a direct snap to him some time.

I'm wondering about the Iowa wildcat. I understand that it's primarily about getting an extra blocker on the field in front of the running back. At the same time if the wildcat formation always signals a run, doesn't that tend to draw up the safeties negating that advantage? Wouldn't the wildcat be more effective with a back that was more of a passing threat? Has Goodson ever passed our of this formation? If so I don't recall. What am I missing here?
I think what you're wanting is called a dual threat quarterback.

It should come as no surprise that the most dominant player on a Kirk Ferentz team might just be the punter ... "but can he punt" ... hell yeah, he can!

So this leads into this weeks "reveals" ... (last week I mentioned some reveals that got me thinking from the IU game ... continuing that theme ...)

Reveal #1: We flashed a new punt protection against ISU ... we showed it twice ... but only used it once (if memory serves).

This one is actually pretty important and pretty obvious. Tory Taylor is a freaking assassin! Opposing teams are going to start coming after him because he's such a lethal weapon. Flashing a new protection gives opposing special teams more that they have to prep for ... potentially making it harder for them to specialize in exploiting just one of our protections.

Reveal #2: Goodson continues to "keep" from the Wildcat. Obviously, a big part of having us use the Wildcat is to get the ball directly into Tyler's hands ... and then (hopefully) also give him the numbers advantage as it relates to the blockers. Thus, it's not necessarily so egregious that he has always been keeping. However, is part of the deal here that maybe he's been also instructed to keep it? Iowa has a tendency to purposely establish tendencies so that they can exploit opposing Ds when the depart from tendency. Iowa fans often lament this observation ... claiming that Iowa's O is predictable. However, this is also the very reason why the Hawks tend to have a lot of success in the play-action game. As Fitzy has always said about the Hawks ... the Hawks really try to "choose" their shots.

Reveal #3: Using I-formation personnel ... splitting Goodson out wide ... and then still giving the ball to the fullback down the middle. This affords Iowa the ability to attempt to be "multiple" ... even with our I-formation personnel. By the way ... perhaps I'm biased ... but Pottebaum really impressed me last year as a FB ... one of the best first years of starts by a FB at Iowa that I remember seeing in a while (and that was even in a covid-shortened season). I can see why the coaches want to see if they can get more flexibility and usage out of that personnel group. It not only affords us with a short-yardage running option ... but it gets allows us to get Goodson out in space while still providing Spencer an extra blocking in the backfield. And, of course, we can always motion Goodson back to tailback ... and Pottebaum can play the role of the lead-blocker too.

Reveal #4: Last week, on the of the surprising defensive reveals was the willingness to move VanValkenburg all over the place. I believe that I noted seeing him at LDE, RDE, ... and he even lined up for a snap at one of the DT spots. This week, one of the newer "reveals" was giving Evans every-down reps. Last week, he was used exclusively in our pass-rush package. I wonder if the "lack" of reveal last week against IU was intentional ... I actually doubt it. I anticipate that our early lead afforded the coaches an opportunity to give Craig and Hurkett extra game reps.
Homer, thank you for this - awesome stuff. Could someone add a screenshot of the different point protection? I did not notice that.

On Pottebaum, he ran the football very well, was running routes and even lines up as an H-back. I think there's more reveal to come with how they utilize him.

Tracy and Kelly-Martin are in the backfield with Goodson when we've seen wildcat. I'm not sure hope great they are as lead blockers, but legit passing options available. Can't wait for them to throw it when an opposing team over commits to the run.

Re: Goodson. There's three possibilities why he's keeping the ball on the read option. 1) He's instructed to 2) He doesn't read the DE very well 3) Not "selfishness" per se, but RB mentality.

To expand on #3, a QB's job and mentality is to distribute the ball, a RB's mentality is to get the ball. Therefore, when a RB is tasked with making a quick decision on distributing or keeping, his mentality heavily biases his decision to keep. Throw on top the self-confidence a good RB has, it becomes very difficult for them to give the ball up.

For now, we can hold out hope #1 is reason, but I'm skeptical of that as it feels like wishful thinking. I personally think he needs more coaching / emphasis on reading the DE and making the proper decision if the wildcat is to be an effective piece to this offense.

Our line up in Shotgun and the QB comes up to the line fake calling signals to disguise the QB sneak has become pretty obvious. ISU was all over it on Saturday and the entire right side of their line crashed down on it. (It STILL worked). Under similar circumstances as that particular play, 3rd and short , opponents territory, I would love to see us counter that with something outside to Goodson.

Reveal #5: Last week, a bunch of our pressures can more from twists and stunts. This, week, one of the wrinkles sprinkled in were zone blitzes. Also, the zone blitzes didn't seem to favor a side either ... I believe I recall seeing DEs from either side drop back in coverage while a DB and LB came in and brought some heat.
To expand on this vs the Indiana game. In the Indiana game, Iowa stunted or twisted every 2nd and very long (11+), 3rd down pass (there were four 3rd down runs), the 4th and 4, and the 1st and 20. The DL got pressure on all but four of those plays. It was an absolutely insane success rate.

As memory serves, there were four blitzes in the Indiana game. Three from Belton coming from the slot, and one zone blitz with VV dropping.

Our line up in Shotgun and the QB comes up to the line fake calling signals to disguise the QB sneak has become pretty obvious. ISU was all over it on Saturday and the entire right side of their line crashed down on it. (It STILL worked). Under similar circumstances as that particular play, 3rd and short , opponents territory, I would love to see us counter that with something outside to Goodson.
I'd love to see Petras walk up to the line but diagonally over the guard and then direct snap to Goodson. Seal the edge and let him get outside.

In early downs, against Iowa, opposing teams tend to bring up the safeties anyhow.

Also, part of it is about the numbers game ... but another part of it is the inherent advantage that offenses have that feature mobile QBs ... the D also has to be even more gap sound because there are more gaps that they have to make sure that they account for ... the option to hand off the ball means that they have to worry about both the back-side and the play-side.

Now, I think that an awesome wrinkle to see out of the wildcat from the Hawks would be a shallow drag by the TE ... where Tyler could have a simple dump pass to make. It would be very "Iowa" to do that ... however, at this juncture ... I doubt that we'd see it (it takes a big jump in trust to allow a RB to pass the ball).

Yep ... that's a wrinkle I mentioned after the week one game ... but yeah, it definitely gives the opposition something "new" to think about as it relates to short-distance plays.

To expand on this vs the Indiana game. In the Indiana game, Iowa stunted or twisted every 2nd and very long (11+), 3rd down pass (there were four 3rd down runs), the 4th and 4, and the 1st and 20. The DL got pressure on all but four of those plays. It was an absolutely insane success rate.

As memory serves, there were four blitzes in the Indiana game. Three from Belton coming from the slot, and one zone blitz with VV dropping.
He did the same thing when we had 3rd and 1 from the 11 yard line and then threw the swing pass to Goodson with the two TE's blocking. We eventually scored. Later we came back to the same formation with Goodson and the TE's on the right side and we did execute the QB sneak. I thought the pass was a nice twist that Goodson had a chance to break.

Or perhaps a former high school qb with great wheels. Now, who do we have on the team that fits that description? Who might that be...🤔
Do tell. Jones?

Or maybe Brad Banks got an age hardship waiver and is cleared to play his super senior year?

i swear this team under banks could compete for a natty.

I still have faith that the game will keep slowing down for Petras. He hasn’t even played enough games to have completed a typical freshman year with a bowl game. Three more to go I think.

Agree with those assessments.

Coaching staff (even though frustrating) tends to pound certain plays into the ground in order to set up the wrinkle for some team they notice biting too hard later in the season. I can see this with the TGood wildcat runs. At some point we are going to hand off or even run a misdirection/ pass out of the formation.

Pontembaum gives you a wrinkle that we have missed a little in the near past. He can block, run, AND catch out of the backfield so I am glad they are throwing different forms at defenses. If you can take an easy 5 yards, you do it sometimes.

Dline- just another example of a great job by Parker. Mixes up looks and slight adjustments that keep other teams guessing a little. Yes, most of the time we play fairly vanilla on D with our base looks, but he is great and throwing a off scheduled blitz and then throwing the same look but changing the coverage.

Do tell. Jones?

Or maybe Brad Banks got an age hardship waiver and is cleared to play his super senior year?

I still have faith that the game will keep slowing down for Petras. He hasn’t even played enough games to have completed a typical freshman year with a bowl game. Three more to go I think.

Our best teams have always had a QB that was at least a threat to run. Doesn't mean they were run first guys but knew when to take off and had the capability to make a couple extra first downs that way. Banks, Tate, CJ...even Stanzi had some escapeability when needed. Petras is a really good thrower when in rhythm and has time to set but our line got blown up too much at ISU.

Could be one of those deals where they're playing the long game. Keep giving Goodson a wildcat run every game, and then have him pop an unexpected pass in a crucial situation later in the season.

Other than that, I think I'd like to see them try a direct snap to him some time.

Our best teams have always had a QB that was at least a threat to run. Doesn't mean they were run first guys but knew when to take off and had the capability to make a couple extra first downs that way. Banks, Tate, CJ...even Stanzi had some escapeability when needed. Petras is a really good thrower when in rhythm and has time to set but our line got blown up too much at ISU.
Petras locked on a receiver and didn’t check down and held on way too long. He had time.
When he didn’t do the above he made some great throws. Some or most of them were to receivers he’d locked onto through. If that kid can go through all his progressions and calm down, this is a legit CFP team.

Do tell. Jones?

I'm not close to giving up on Petras. My comments were related to wildcat personnel and the potential of the pass giving the D more to think about. I also said in a thinly veiled reference that we have a very athletic and fast former QB turned safety on the roster that could potentially fill that bill.

Didn't Goodson at least show that he was gonna pass out of the Wildcat last year?

I'm trying to remember if he at least delayed a run showing pass before tucking to run either by design or because nothing was open.

Do tell. Jones?

I think he's referring to Cooper DeJean. I wouldn't mind seeing him get a play or two a game there as he does have a decent arm. Would be a nice wrinkle to have a couple wildcat options.

Homer, thank you for this - awesome stuff. Could someone add a screenshot of the different point protection? I did not notice that.

On Pottebaum, he ran the football very well, was running routes and even lines up as an H-back. I think there's more reveal to come with how they utilize him.

Here is at least one of the times I noticed it ...

and here's another ...

and contrast that with what we have "usually" been doing ...

Last edited:
Reactions: F5n5
Pottebaum on a FB screen. Hayden added that to the playbook for Richard "Rolling Ball of Butcher Knives" Bass in the late 80s. Pottebaum is a bull -toss him ball the let him rumble.

Also, since opponent secondaries tend to creep forward in order to defend the run, you know that a RB handoff then lateral back to Petras to pass is virually certain to result in a big gain if not an easy TD. Iowa ran that play against Penn State in in 2018 and Hockenson was running all alone 20 yards downfield but Stanley overthrew him by 5 yards.

Pottebaum on a FB screen. Hayden added that to the playbook for Richard "Rolling Ball of Butcher Knives" Bass in the late 80s. Pottebaum is a bull -toss him ball the let him rumble.

Also, since opponent secondaries tend to creep forward in order to defend the run, you know that a RB handoff then lateral back to Petras to pass is virually certain to result in a big gain if not an easy TD. Iowa ran that play against Penn State in in 2018 and Hockenson was running all alone 20 yards downfield but Stanley overthrew him by 5 yards.
Ugh. DON'T remind me of that play!! I think it was more like 10 yards. He was open by 15 with nothing but green between him and the end zone.

Reactions: bowlhawk
That was just play action though.

Reactions: j0nnyhb_Prime
However, this is also the very reason why the Hawks tend to have a lot of success in the play-action game.
First, great posts above. Thank you for taking the time.

Second, last year was pretty encouraging on the play action front. Hopefully they get back to using it more and having more success with it this year. Part of the early season lack of success due to the competition I'm sure too.

Using Play Action

Petras has used play action on 19.3% of drop backs, which ranks #109 in FBS
Petras is 2/9 passing (22.2%) for 11 yards (1.2 ypa) with 0 TDs, 0 INTs using play action
Using play action his completion percentage is -33.0% and ypa -4.9 compared to no play action

Petras used play action on 27.2% of drop backs, which ranked #86 in FBS
Petras was 40/69 passing (58.0%) for 542 yards (7.9 ypa) with 3 TDs and 1 INT using play action
Using play action his completion percentage was +1.6% and ypa +2.2 compared to no play action

Stanley used play action on 21.5% of drop backs, which ranked #122 in FBS
Stanley was 46/81 passing (56.8%) for 641 yards (7.9 ypa) with 3 TDs and 2 INTs using play action
Using play action his completion percentage was -2.4% and ypa +0.7 compared to no play action

Stanley used play action on 23.6% of drop backs, which ranked #109 in FBS
Stanley was 52/88 passing (59.1%) for 856 yards (9.7 ypa) with 8 TDs and 1 INT using play action
Using play action his completion percentage was +0.1% and ypa +3.4 compared to no play action

Stanley used play action on 23.1% of drop backs, which ranked #122 in FBS
Stanley was 44/79 passing (55.7%) for 776 yards (9.8 ypa) with 7 TDs and 1 INT using play action
Using play action his completion percentage was +/-0.0% and ypa +3.7 compared to no play action

Beathard used play action on 20.2% of drop backs, which ranked #116 in FBS
Beathard was 26/62 passing (41.9%) for 506 yards (8.2 ypa) with 4 TDs and 2 INTs using play action
Using play action his completion percentage was -17.6% and ypa +2.3 compared to no play action

Beathard used play action on 19.1% of drop backs, which ranked #116 in FBS
Beathard was 39/72 passing (54.2%) for 725 yards (10.1 ypa) with 8 TDs and 1 INT using play action
Using play action his completion percentage was -8.6% and ypa +2.9 compared to no play action

Reactions: F5n5
By the way, some schools over 50% play action so far this season including Oklahoma, Ole Miss, North Carolina, Boston College, Baylor, Tennessee, Arkansas, and interestingly enough, Kent State.

In the NFL, the 49ers and Seahawks were at the top in week one with over 40% play action.

I think what you see from that is a hard count to draw the other team offsides. We've rushed the snap every time to catch them off guard. Just a matter of time before we hard count without snapping and defense reacts.

Reactions: DirtyJohns97
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT