ADVERTISEMENT

Purposeful reveals by Iowa vs ISU ... "new" observations

Pottebaum on a FB screen. Hayden added that to the playbook for Richard "Rolling Ball of Butcher Knives" Bass in the late 80s. Pottebaum is a bull -toss him ball the let him rumble.

Also, since opponent secondaries tend to creep forward in order to defend the run, you know that a RB handoff then lateral back to Petras to pass is virually certain to result in a big gain if not an easy TD. Iowa ran that play against Penn State in in 2018 and Hockenson was running all alone 20 yards downfield but Stanley overthrew him by 5 yards.
Wasn't it earlier? IIRC, Stormin' Norman Granger caught a few screen passes.

Petras is a pretty big kid ... not quite as strong as Stanley ... but yeah ... I could definitely be able to see him use his body to seal the edge.
No. NEVER use the starting QB as a blocker because it gives opposing defenses a free shot at him. Better to put him out wide and have him run out of bounds. 🙂

I'm wondering about the Iowa wildcat. I understand that it's primarily about getting an extra blocker on the field in front of the running back. At the same time if the wildcat formation always signals a run, doesn't that tend to draw up the safeties negating that advantage? Wouldn't the wildcat be more effective with a back that was more of a passing threat? Has Goodson ever passed our of this formation? If so I don't recall. What am I missing here?
I remember watching a game of his on ESPN when he was in high school. He threw a 50 yard pass for a completion in that type of formation.

Goodson will throw out of the wildcat at some point this year. It just hasn't been something we've really needed to show in the first couple games.

No. NEVER use the starting QB as a blocker because it gives opposing defenses a free shot at him. Better to put him out wide and have him run out of bounds. 🙂
Oh come on ... that would give the fans Padilla in the game ... just what they'd want! I jest ...

Pottebaum on a FB screen. Hayden added that to the playbook for Richard "Rolling Ball of Butcher Knives" Bass in the late 80s. Pottebaum is a bull -toss him ball the let him rumble.

Also, since opponent secondaries tend to creep forward in order to defend the run, you know that a RB handoff then lateral back to Petras to pass is virually certain to result in a big gain if not an easy TD. Iowa ran that play against Penn State in in 2018 and Hockenson was running all alone 20 yards downfield but Stanley overthrew him by 25 yards.
FIFY

• Haha
Reactions: nu2u
Homer, thank you for this - awesome stuff. Could someone add a screenshot of the different point protection? I did not notice that.

On Pottebaum, he ran the football very well, was running routes and even lines up as an H-back. I think there's more reveal to come with how they utilize him.
I think he could be as productive as Edgar Cervantes was.

Reactions: ghostOfHomer777
ADVERTISEMENT