ADVERTISEMENT

push up challenge

QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
I’m four days in. Easy peezy so far.

xLPXSkE.jpg

So when I was a freshman in college I weighed about 140lbs soaking wet. My roommate was about 200lbs of lard and used to play HS football. Somehow we got talking about who was more pathetic and we concluded that it would be decided by a push-up challenge. So we went into the hallway and did about 2 dozen terrible push-ups before gasping for air. Others in the dorm tried as well. Everyone sucked. Deciding that we were all pathetic we decided to do them every night thereafter. The next night we all did about 20 together. The following night we lost a few guys. The next night we lost most the rest. By the end of the week it was just me. By the end of the semester I had switched to push-up bars because I needed more of a challenge and was doing sets of 50 and 1000 push-ups a night. Would do them before I'd go out drinking.
Two funny things. First, when I started I was holding my breath and pulled an ab muscle. Thought I had a hernia until I saw the Dr. He asked me right away if I had just started exercising and if I was breathing. Second, was that in the beginning I was pushing more with my right arm and my right trap became comically larger than my left. Took months to balance it back out.
I put on about 25 lbs of muscle before getting terribly sick the next fall and dropping down to 125 lbs. Never got back into the routine again. Probably can't do 20 right now.

So when I was a freshman in college I weighed about 140lbs soaking wet. My roommate was about 200lbs of lard and used to play HS football. Somehow we got talking about who was more pathetic and we concluded that it would be decided by a push-up challenge. So we went into the hallway and did about 2 dozen terrible push-ups before gasping for air. Others in the dorm tried as well. Everyone sucked. Deciding that we were all pathetic we decided to do them every night thereafter. The next night we all did about 20 together. The following night we lost a few guys. The next night we lost most the rest. By the end of the week it was just me. By the end of the semester I had switched to push-up bars because I needed more of a challenge and was doing sets of 50 and 1000 push-ups a night. Would do them before I'd go out drinking.
Two funny things. First, when I started I was holding my breath and pulled an ab muscle. Thought I had a hernia until I saw the Dr. He asked me right away if I had just started exercising and if I was breathing. Second, was that in the beginning I was pushing more with my right arm and my right trap became comically larger than my left. Took months to balance it back out.
I put on about 25 lbs of muscle before getting terribly sick the next fall and dropping down to 125 lbs. Never got back into the routine again. Probably can't do 20 right now.
CSB

I am 6’3 weight about 190 and ride a lot of bike. No way could I do ten. The though of lifting weights sickens me.

I am impressed by people that can rip pushups effortlessly.

I used to a deck of cards in high school, 335 pushups, aces are 1 or 11, lats would get sore

now I lift, but im a lot heavier than back then

Reactions: Magatron
What are you, like 5’-2”?

Reactions: BootsTiggley
I'm 5'7, about 140 (thanks, Thanksgiving) and can do right at 80 in 2 minutes.

For many years I’ve done pushups while watching FSU football games. Used to do them after every score, based on points on the board (score a td to start the game and make the extra point, do 7. Next score is a field goal, do 10). I was young and in good shape so I could keep up.

Under wiLLie, I was getting so out of shape I had to change things up. Do five if we managed a first down, 8 for a field goal, 15 for a touchdown. 20 if we actually made someone punt, and 100 if we beat a good team (never did that so wasn’t an issue that I wouldn’t have been able to)

Pushups are tough... but you know what really kill me? Pull-ups. Have you ever seen the cross fit challenges where they straighten their arms above the bar? It’s incredible. If I set the goal of doing that I would have an equal chance of learning to fly by flapping my arms

Reactions: Scott559
If you really want a challenge, Google the "bring sally up pushup challenge." I do it from time to time and am never able to get through the whole song.

Reactions: artradley
Pushups are tough... but you know what really kill me? Pull-ups. Have you ever seen the cross fit challenges where they straighten their arms above the bar? It’s incredible. If I set the goal of doing that I would have an equal chance of learning to fly by flapping my arms

same here, being 6'3" 210 with a long arms makes pull ups even more difficult. You little compact guys have it much easier.

62 years old and I do 45 seconds of pushups twice a week as part of my body weight routine. Currently I get in 30 to 35; but I could not do more even if given additional time. The first 20 are easy.

What I can’t do is pull-ups. My max rep is currently 2; but I suck so bad I rarely even test it out. Need to drop 15 pounds for that.

I do push ups pretty regularly throughout the week. I can do 40 in a row....trying to get to 50.

I also been working my pull up game (not chin up). Can do 8 thanks to buying a bar for my doorway.

6’ 197 lbs

When I was home freshman year from college, I was working 60-70 hours/week so never went to the gym. Instead, I just did pushups at home at night. Started doing ten sets of 20, five minutes apart (I had been lifting at college all year). By the time I went back to college in the fall, I was doing 10 sets of 60. Between that and working in a hot kitchen/restaurant, I was frickin' yoked. It is a great exercise because it works so many different muscles at the same time.

Bumping this thread...started this January 1st. Halfway through and doing two sets in the AM. Currently at 35 (scheduled to be at 25).

Wondering if anyone completed it in December, if you still have it going, and how many you’re doing per day now?

I started doing pushups about 3 years ago to see how many I could do and I could do 7. I was embarrassed, so I started a bodyweight workout program I found free online and in 3 months I could do 50 with no problem. In a couple more months, I could do 100. Then I really got into learning more about how I could do better instead of just doing a lot of pushups. What I found was that most experts in this area will tell you that, if you ask how many pushups someone can do, you're doing them wrong. I found the perfect form and timing/rhythm and struggled to get to 20. It's the only way I'll do them and I can do about 30 (give or take, depending on the day), but I've seen tremendous gains ever since in my chest, shoulders, lats, back, traps.

I will say, though, that doing as many as possible is/was a great way to get started. Now I do mostly total body bodyweight workouts, but rarely lift. Below the video I referenced. The guy's got a lot of great videos and a lot of good tips that have really helped.

I do 10 sets of 25 every day, spread out over the course of the day (generally try to do a set, rest for a minute or so, the do another set, repeating that about every 60 to 90 minutes.

Starting to get back into pull-ups. When I was in shape I did 3 sets of ten every other day, and got to where I did weighted pull-ups. Can only do sets of 7 right now. Trying to work my way back, but getting old sucks.

Def going to need a rest day to recover those muscles after 74 pushups spread over 6 days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT