ADVERTISEMENT

QB and receivers “situation”

bumper52

HR All-State
Nov 25, 2019
What I watched yesterday was the worst performance I’ve ever seen from an Iowa QB. And to really add fuel to the fire, this is a three year starter. So, to fix the problems from last year, we hire an offensive analyst. I guess it’s becoming the trend in football. When I googled it, it was stated that some schools have more analysts than assistants. These analysts cannot be on field, as least during games. So, Chuck Long in his podcast says Budmayr will relay information down to BF during the game. Well, whatever was relayed yesterday, didn’t work. Spencer Petras is not a D1 QB, at least not at Iowa anyway. Apparently, we do not have anyone better. And then, to really put a dagger through our hearts, we lose Charlie Jones and Tracy to Purdue. A lot of us were wondering why Jones wanted to leave: 12 receptions for 153 yards vs. Penn State. Does that answer the question? In one game he practically equalled his entire last year. We late not in. QB “situation” anymore…..we have. MAJOR problem. What QB who has any skills, is going to come to Iowa? And now it’s mushroomed to our wideouts. As much as I have defended Kirk over the years, it’s time. He has done way more good for the program than bad in his tenure. But it’s time he steps down.

What I watched yesterday was the worst performance I’ve ever seen from an Iowa QB. And to really add fuel to the fire, this is a three year starter. So, to fix the problems from last year, we hire an offensive analyst. I guess it’s becoming the trend in football. When I googled it, it was stated that some schools have more analysts than assistants. These analysts cannot be on field, as least during games. So, Chuck Long in his podcast says Budmayr will relay information down to BF during the game. Well, whatever was relayed yesterday, didn’t work. Spencer Petras is not a D1 QB, at least not at Iowa anyway. Apparently, we do not have anyone better. And then, to really put a dagger through our hearts, we lose Charlie Jones and Tracy to Purdue. A lot of us were wondering why Jones wanted to leave: 12 receptions for 153 yards vs. Penn State. Does that answer the question? In one game he practically equalled his entire last year. We late not in. QB “situation” anymore…..we have. MAJOR problem. What QB who has any skills, is going to come to Iowa? And now it’s mushroomed to our wideouts. As much as I have defended Kirk over the years, it’s time. He has done way more good for the program than bad in his tenure. But it’s time he steps down.
Deuce Hogan transfers in December and is 2nd string to Levis, a senior, at Kentucky so starter in waiting. Was really surprised Padilla didn't transfer too... After sitting through yesterday I'm sure Alex is regretting his decision. Labas and May are young so will stick it out for now. Would be absolute crazy if Petras came back for covid year. Coach Kirk and Brian are dead to me.... They are morons and have been sticking with this for 3 games too long. Open qb competition my a$$.

And some people on here were blasting Charlie Jones for exercising intelligence and joining a football team that actually has an offense and a QB who can throw him the ball. Charlie gave KF and BF and Petras spring ball to show him there was a reason to stay. They failed. Charlie did the right thing. Will KF? He hasn't in 24 years.

BTW: Remember when KF benched Wadley, one of the most talented and exciting RBs in Iowa history because he fumbled and didn't weigh 190 pounds? He did, and you can look it up. But when it comes to his anointed QBs, Petras in this case, KF is blind. Ditto for his ability to choose an OC and a QB coach. That's egregious coaching malpractice. The facts, the evidence are clear. But KF has chosen to ignore it all, and now his program is a national laughingstock. Man, the ticket office must be thrilled that it fooled us fans into selling out the season in advance. What a con job.

Last edited:
And some people on here were blasting Charlie Jones for exercising intelligence and joining a football team that actually has an offense and a QB who can throw him the ball. Charlie gave KF and BF and Petras spring ball to show him there was a reason to stay. They failed. Charlie did the right thing. Will KF? He hasn't in 24 years.

BTW: Remember when KF benched Wadley, one of the most talented and exciting RBs in Iowa history because he fumbled and didn't weigh 190 pounds? He did, and you can look it up. But when it comes to his anointed QBs, Petras in this case, KF is blind. Ditto for his ability to choose an OC and a QB coach. That's egregious coaching malpractice. The facts, the evidence are clear. But KF has chosen to ignore it all, and now his program is a national laughingstock. Man, the ticket office must be thrilled that it fooled us fans into selling out the season in advance. What a con job.
Maybe, just maybe it was attitude and behavior that had something with Wadley?? Like taking peoples money and never giving them what they paid for.

I’m not sure it makes any difference. I think a lot of damage has already been done.

Maybe, just maybe it was attitude and behavior that had something with Wadley?? Like taking peoples money and never giving them what they paid for.
I'm no insider, but I thought Wadley was a heck of a running back for us. I knew the staff wanted him to get his weight up and he resisted. It's too bad it descended into the quagmire it is now, but if you watch some of those Wadley games, he was pretty special for us.

16/32 202 yards 1 TD 4 INT
11/25 109 yards 0 TD 1 INT
5/15 53 yards 1 TD 0 INT
12/29 133 yards 1 TD 0 INT
11/26 135 yards 0 TD 2 INT

It is up there, but there are also been some other doozies in the KF era we have tried to forget. Can you name the games?

5/15 53 yards 1 TD 0 INT

It is up there, but there are also been some other doozies in the KF era we have tried to forget. Can you name the games?
Arizona State there.
Minnesota up there.

5/15 53 yards 1 TD 0 INT

Serious question - were these all SP games?🤪

5/15 53 yards 1 TD 0 INT

3rd has to be the instant classic BTN rams down people's throats every chance they get. Who can forget Jake the snake slinging grounders in that thriller against MSU?

16/32 202 yards 1 TD 4 INT. Manson vs. 'Cuse - W
11/25 109 yards 0 TD 1 INT. Petras vs. SDSU - W
5/15 53 yards 1 TD 0 INT. Jake C. vs. MSU - W
12/29 133 yards 1 TD 0 INT. Jake C. vs. N. Illinois - W
11/26 135 yards 0 TD 2 INT. Stanzi vs. PSU - W

Ugly wins are still wins.
Is that last game the 2010 game against Penn State?

I’m really tired of any narrative that doesn’t begin and end with Kirk Ferentz being the root cause of the offensive total failure going on. This offense has stunk since 2007.

Kirk apparently doesn’t have the awareness to know that he’s hurting the program and basically sabatoging it from the inside. It begins with the “we’re not sexy” line of BS that really stands in for “we can’t recruit.” Also if your system isn’t sexy - you are going to have a self fulfilling prophecy there.

I’m really tired of any narrative that doesn’t begin and end with Kirk Ferentz being the root cause of the offensive total failure going on. This offense has stunk since 2007.

Kirk apparently doesn’t have the awareness to know that he’s hurting the program and basically sabatoging it from the inside. It begins with the “we’re not sexy” line of BS that really stands in for “we can’t recruit.” Also if your system isn’t sexy - you are going to have a self fulfilling prophecy there.
There are two positions right now that according to recruiting site rankings, the offense is struggling recruiting and that's WR with TE thrown in there recently (Ostrenga appears to have much more potential than his stars eluded). With that said, although the WR core is not deep, it could be the most talented group we've seen athletically (if they are all ever on the field together).

Schools that fire their all time winning coaches, coming off a rare ten win season end up like Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska and dozens of others.

Iowa's record has improved every year since 2016. Three words says it all: Dr. Thomas ****ing Davis. Twenty three years later and we have not had the success we had in his last season.

Is everyone talking about difficulty recruiting wide receivers realize the long term starters are both 4* recruits, the highest ranked receivers maybe ever on the roster at the same time, and they are just sophomores. KJ is hurt and Arland IV looked great Saturday, he should have had 5 or 6 more catches with even average QBing.

You miss one major recruit, who went to a place where he'll get millions from Nike and throws the ball 50 times a game.

Last edited:
Schools that fire their all time winning coaches, coming off a rare ten win season end up like Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska and dozens of others.

Iowa's record has improved every year since 2016. Three words says it all: Dr. Thomas ****ing Davis. Twenty three years later and we have not had the success we had in his last season.
Not really fair. Davis’s first season was with Raveling’s terrific recruits.

Not really fair. Davis’s first season was with Raveling’s terrific recruits.
That is just silly. Did George win 30 games with those players. The coach that coaches the successful teams is the one deserving credit. For what it's worth, both publicly and privately George gave Dr. Davis all the credit.

Moreover, I was talking about the 99 Sweet 16, a level of success we have not reached since Dr. Davis was the HC-a level to which we have not yet returned in the 23 years since. That does nothing to disprove my point, either. KF has been a remarkably successful coach for Iowa and by Iowa standards. Most new coaching hires do not work out.

I've seen 20 consecutive non winning seasons in football. I've now seen 44 seasons without a Reg Season men's BBall title-yet both Alford and Lick were supposed to be "can't miss" hires. But, like most coaching hires, failed and badly so. I can live with Iowa winning 8-10 games a year. Take a good look at Iowa football since 1960. You'll notice around 1980 you start to see what bad football looks like. Don't look too long, you'll get vertigo because its such a long long way to fall.

And some people on here were blasting Charlie Jones for exercising intelligence and joining a football team that actually has an offense and a QB who can throw him the ball.

Nailed it, but then those same people respond with, “pUrDuE is 0-1 AnD iOwa is 1-0.” There is no reasoning with people who can’t take off the black & gold colored lenses and look at our offense objectively.

That is just silly. Did George win 30 games with those players. The coach that coaches the successful teams is the one deserving credit. For what it's worth, both publicly and privately George gave Dr. Davis all the credit.

Moreover, I was talking about the 99 Sweet 16, a level of success we have not reached since Dr. Davis was the HC-a level to which we have not yet returned in the 23 years since. That does nothing to disprove my point, either. KF has been a remarkably successful coach for Iowa and by Iowa standards. Most new coaching hires do not work out.

I've seen 20 consecutive non winning seasons in football. I've now seen 44 seasons without a Reg Season men's BBall title-yet both Alford and Lick were supposed to be "can't miss" hires. But, like most coaching hires, failed and badly so. I can live with Iowa winning 8-10 games a year. Take a good look at Iowa football since 1960. You'll notice around 1980 you start to see what bad football looks like. Don't look too long, you'll get vertigo because its such a long long way to fall.

The calls for KF to be fired by angry posters have been around for long time---everytime he has a chitty season. KF has had more than a few turd seasons over his career. It takes a lot of effort to have a losing season when you have two 95% guaranteed home wins vs directional schools on the schedule every year.

KF is not going to be fired with his buyout being so costly and that is why he can say FU to fans anytime he wants and can get his own kid a $800K/yr job he wasn't qualified for based on experience/track record. While it is fun to rant about KF and want him fired and it is also fun for some to say how great it is that we have KF at Iowa, in the end it is all noise until KF puts up a string of bad seasons to create a legitimate hot seat.

I do not think KF should be fired and I think there’s a less than 1% chance the university would ever fire him. And yes, it is impressive to see the 8-10 win seasons repeatedly. But he’s also a super frustrating person when it comes to offense and, particularly the qb position. His stubbornness is excruciating and quite frankly, the frustration of his approach to offense and the qb position takes away from the enjoyment what the defense and special teams do. Whether people want to admit it or not, Iowa was a national laughingstock this week and I think it was deserved and hate seeing that.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
KFs success is greatly over-exaggerated. Something is broken within him around 2010 and he crawls further and further into his conservative shell. 7 of the last 12 seasons we have ended up not ranked. Two of the ranked seasons we were 23 and 25. One of the higher ranked seasons was the covid year which I would argue isn't worth anything. Regardless we end up not ranked over 50% of the time.

His one solid year in 2015 was with a QB that he refused to start much of the prior year because he didn't fit his system.

In that 12 year span we are something like 15-26 vs ranked opponnents. For his career at Iowa, a whopping 30-48 versus ranked opponnents. He had a dynamic run from 2001 to 2005 against a really tought Big Ten before the divisions were created. His teams were more aggressive offensively in those days, were brutally tough on the defensive end, the fans fell in love during that period and the captain has been living off that ever since with some timely magic seasons thrown in around 2009 and 2015. Without those he would surely be fired by now, there isn't really much success to write home about outside those years these 15+ years.

Not only is it really not much of a winning product, it's a downright boring product. Iowa fans need to wake up and stop supporting him like he's the second coming.

The “issue” with QB and receivers is a serious lack of talent due to piss poor skill position recruiting. This morning BTN football in 60 showed the 2018 ISU game. That team had Stanley, who would obviously be a huge upgrade at QB. But the talent gap between that group of receivers and this group is even greater than the QB situation.

Hockenson/Fant/Smith-Marsette/B Smith vs LaPorta/Bruce/Wick/Johnson (if he ever plays again)

ADVERTISEMENT